Feb 10, 2010, 06:11 PM
Thread OP
In the UK it's selling for less than half the price of the big brands - e.g., 8 channel FS rx £25, Spektrum £40 +, Futaba £60 upwards - as for starter sets, FS module and rx ~£55 iirc, big brands are £110-130.
I'd like to know where you get a big brand 8 channel receiver for £33 or anywhere near (25% more?), maybe a Spektrum park fly, but not full range.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 11, 2010, 01:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLMS
...This data channel on the FrSky two-way system could well make it a VERY popular alternative 2.4Ghz RC module system. It makes it standout in the crowd of other low cost systems...
Exactly, this is the great selling point of this system, when available.
Without telemetry you have my opinion two posts, above, but telemetry can change the play.
Still remains disappointing the small range of this system, under one mile, while the grands reports 2-3 miles. This negates the telemetry usefulness, it is usually associated with long distance systems, or at least out of LOS.
Feb 11, 2010, 02:06 AM
Bob, I am referencing everything to US prices, you in UK are privileged to be the first and only have available this system localy. Also, the big brands prices in Uk are highly overpriced due to your currency evolution.
What should do the rest of Europe? Report to UK prices when compare, or to their best buying sources?
Also, I specified in my post that comparing receivers prices is a different story.
Have a look at towerhobbies, there are not so many module systems and you will see at a glance what I meant.
Feb 11, 2010, 06:38 AM
I have been struck by a rather dangerous flaw in my Frisky receiver:
It fails in cold weather. Repeated test confirms that this “feature" is constant.
What happens is that it seems to reboot over and over again, obviously causing some serious delays in control inputs.

It works without errors after a few minutes in room temperature.

I wonder if anybody else have encountered this, or if it’s just me that got stuck with a dud.
Feb 11, 2010, 06:48 AM
here is the current price of Frsky saw on most website that selling it:

Frsky Module + 8 channel receiver is USD 100
Frsky Module + 8 channel Receiver (Telemetry) is USD 120

look like this is the Best Chinese 2.4 GHZ Radio System.

Torqueflite, can you give the estimate how Cold is it when it start to reboot , please specify the Actual Reading of Temperature ....Hope you have a Thermometer ? ...... this is really strange, cause most electronics start to fail on higher temperature......maybe the moisture might cause it to fail.
Last edited by lazy-b; Feb 11, 2010 at 06:59 AM.
Feb 11, 2010, 07:09 AM
I agree about the "Best CHINESE 2.4 GHZ Radio System".

But for USD 130 you can get a major brand system featuring Futaba only module and TWO 7 ch Rx with telemetry.
Feb 11, 2010, 07:23 AM
lazy-b: The temperature when this happens is just below zero centigrade. Or with other words a normal Norwegian winter day. Moisture is not likely as condensation would occur over freezing temperature.
Feb 11, 2010, 07:25 AM
Renatoa, Yes.....I agree with you.......I guess, if they drop the price by Half, it would be selling like Hot Cake.

Thats why I just purchase the 2nd Best Chinese 2.4 GHZ.....its less than USD 50, Transmitter Module + 8 channel Receiver.

Torqueflite.....Wow, below freezing temperature.......most commercial electronics can function normally between 0 to 70 degree centigrade......an Industrial/Military grade can work below zero degree or above 100 degree Centigrade............most electronics has a range of temperature it can operate.

Just curious, do you have other brands of RC receiver so that you could test if it can work below zero......
Last edited by lazy-b; Feb 11, 2010 at 07:38 AM.
Feb 11, 2010, 07:46 AM
I would get them as they are for same price, but at least 2km range.
The open standards telemetry of Frsky and the 4ch micro receiver are more appealing than the closed, proprietary telemetry of the other major brand.
But now with this low temperature bad news... flew last weekend at -7 Celsius, this is common for Central Europe from December to February.
Feb 11, 2010, 09:19 AM
Grow old disgracefully!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy-b
Torqueflite.....Wow, below freezing temperature.......most commercial electronics can function normally between 0 to 70 degree centigrade......an Industrial/Military grade can work below zero degree or above 100 degree Centigrade............most electronics has a range of temperature it can operate.

Just curious, do you have other brands of RC receiver so that you could test if it can work below zero......
I have been flying with friends at -7C. They used Futaba I used ACT - no problems with either system.

Any radio that could not operate below 0C would be no use in Northern Europe and a lot of the rest of the world as well.

Dick
Feb 11, 2010, 09:42 AM
Lazy-b: Every other receiver, or transmitter for that matter, that i have or have had has worked without problems in the winter months. The Hobbyking 2.4GHz works well in -20 degrees. I had however an Esc-failure when the winter was on its nastiest. It came to life once it was warmed up.
Feb 11, 2010, 12:30 PM
"The Judge"
that is strange, rebooting below 0 degrees ??
Feb 11, 2010, 01:14 PM
Sebbe: If it's actually rebooting or not, I can't say for sure, but it appears to do so. The led is blinking, and the controls moves intermittently. Furthermore it is uncertain at what exact temperature the phenomena occurs; It has been below zero everyday this week, down to -14ºC.

I have repeated the cooling/heating cycles to make sure it is temp related and not due to interference. It works (or fails, depending of views) the same way every time.
Feb 11, 2010, 01:19 PM
You may have a lemon Rx.
If a design / build issue, there should be other reports.
Feb 11, 2010, 02:30 PM
Thread OP
are you sure it's the receiver and not the battery voltage dropping? I haven't tried mine in such low temperatures as -14, but they've been ok around freezing point.

Quick Reply