Dec 21, 2012, 10:05 AM
FlyLikeAnEagle-LandLikeADove

Where to find driver for Upgrade USB?

I dunno. This stuff is always a stuggle. First the power goes out. So now working on the laptop watching the battery go down.

The update USB can't locate a driver. Of course. Where do I get the driver? Is it the XP driver from the Frsky site or something else?

Any help much appreciated.

OK, found the driver. Power back on. Ready for the next step.
Last edited by u2builder; Dec 21, 2012 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Found driver
to remove ads between posts
Dec 21, 2012, 12:10 PM
OK, next problem.

I run the Update program. My USB is on Com Port 6 so I select that.

Then I open the FRK file.

I do not get the UID number. Where it is supposed to show up I get: Com Port 6 and the location of where I have the FRK file.

When I hit download there is no indication of anything happening.

I have tried many times.

Any suggestions?
Dec 21, 2012, 12:20 PM
No UId could mean:
- Rx not powered - beware, when in update mode no LED lit, so it's difficult to diagnose this
- Rx not in update mode - are ch 7-8 signal pins jumpered ? surely you didn't shorted the ground pins ? no LED lit should tell you are in update mode
- rx-tx reversed - check them again

If no UID, don't hit download.
Dec 21, 2012, 12:59 PM

It worked, with Renatoa's help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa
No UId could mean:
- Rx not powered - beware, when in update mode no LED lit, so it's difficult to diagnose this
- Rx not in update mode - are ch 7-8 signal pins jumpered ? surely you didn't shorted the ground pins ? no LED lit should tell you are in update mode
- rx-tx reversed - check them again
If no UID, don't hit download.
What an idot I am. I did reverse the Tx and Rx wires. I actually had them correct, and "double checked" and thought they were wrong so I changed them.

It reflashed just perfectly. Now to try to see if I can get the DAC working.

Thanks, thanks, thanks!!!!!
Dec 21, 2012, 01:34 PM

DAC seems to be working!

Very exciting. I attached the DAC to the D8R-XP, bound it to the TX, and the little LED showed full signal. Then I set the RX to range test. It still showed full signal so I moved the TX to another room. The module in the TX beeped and the RSSI led on the DAC moved to its center.

So now I guess I need to hook it up to one of my OSD's. I have a Skylark and an ET. I think I will try the Skylark. I expect that to be the biggest struggle.

I have another DAC on order from Magi, but it will be a while before it gets here.
Dec 21, 2012, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder
Good plan, though "misery would love company".

The "flash" update we are supposed to use I believe is a special one specifically for the DAC and provided by Magi.

Roadtrain, what OSD do you have. I suspect once I get the DAC installed I'll have some hurdles to get through figuring out how to get the signal from the DAC to my OSD.
Is the update file the same one as on the frisky site? (if not, then may I have the link please?)

I'm using G-Osd, but I'm going to pull that off and put on a Black Stork2 unit I bought off another member of RCG.. It doesn't seem to have input for RSSI....

..if I use the Rx DAC, then where (how) do I plug in the FrSky telemetry hub?
Last edited by rcroadtrain; Dec 21, 2012 at 04:17 PM.
Dec 21, 2012, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Is the update file the same one as on the frisky site? (if not, then may I have the link please?)
The file is different. Get it from Magi website right below the red text below the picture:

http://www.rc-miskolc.emiter.hu/rc-m...124&Itemid=122

I don't know anything about the telemetry hub, but DAC plugs into the side of the RX and blocks all the ports so you may be out of luck on that.

I've got it all wired up but haven't tried see if it shows up on my OSD and/or calibrated it. But according to the LEDs on the DAC it definitely shows lower RSSI if I reduce the signal on my TX. Hopefully tomorrow I can see what shows up in the Goggles. Fingers crossed.
Dec 21, 2012, 04:52 PM
Why you say is different ?
Is the same as from Frsky site, fdd_rx_rev2_cppm_build110314.frk...
Dec 21, 2012, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa
Why you say is different ?
Is the same as from Frsky site, fdd_rx_rev2_cppm_build110314.frk...
I guess my comment was mistaken. Mr. Istvan sent me an attachment of the file he said to use. I just assumed incorrectly it was not available at Frsky site. It is the same as you show from the Frsky site. Sorry about the confusion. It has been a long day. But a good result
Dec 21, 2012, 05:28 PM
Fly now crash later
Quote:
Very exciting. I attached the DAC to the D8R-XP, bound it to the TX, and the little LED showed full signal. Then I set the RX to range test. It still showed full signal so I moved the TX to another room. The module in the TX beeped and the RSSI led on the DAC moved to its center.

So now I guess I need to hook it up to one of my OSD's. I have a Skylark and an ET. I think I will try the Skylark. I expect that to be the biggest struggle.

I have another DAC on order from Magi, but it will be a while before it gets here.
My DAC is on order and i am using a Skylark Tiny II, I know whom to ask if it doesn't work. lol
Dec 22, 2012, 02:54 PM
Well, since a few folks are getting the RSSI-DAC, I am happy to be able to report that the it works beautifully with my Skylark Tiny III OSD. I just plugged the wire from the DAC into the Skylark RSSI pin and it worked. I am unable to "calibrate" it because the Skylark software does not work on my computer, but it read about 4.1 on the OSD with full signal and I think 2.2 when I pushed the reduced power button on the TX and took it in the other room. I think I was getting one beep at that point. I'll do a better range check outdoors sometime to correlate the RSSI signal with "beeps" and distance.
Dec 22, 2012, 04:23 PM
Fly now crash later
Quote:
Well, since a few folks are getting the RSSI-DAC, I am happy to be able to report that the it works beautifully with my Skylark Tiny III OSD. I just plugged the wire from the DAC into the Skylark RSSI pin and it worked. I am unable to "calibrate" it because the Skylark software does not work on my computer, but it read about 4.1 on the OSD with full signal and I think 2.2 when I pushed the reduced power button on the TX and took it in the other room. I think I was getting one beep at that point. I'll do a better range check outdoors sometime to correlate the RSSI signal with "beeps" and distance.
I was unable to get it to work on my laptop but the desktop worked fine. Both are running XP but the USB on the laptop is less then 5V. I think that may have something to do with it.
Dec 22, 2012, 08:29 PM
Try using a powered USB hub.
Bill
Dec 23, 2012, 10:49 AM

Frsky and digital servos

I've read various posts talking about issues with digital servos is this a general problem or just with specific mixes of equipment. I'm using the old V8 series with analogue servos at the moment and am wondering if I'm likely to hit problems if I switch to digital servos.

Thanks

Terry
Dec 23, 2012, 10:51 AM
Suspended Account
Why is everyone "updateing"? All the rx and tx stuff I baught 2 months ago work ok. If it works dont mess with it!

Quick Reply