Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 09, 2016, 10:10 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
It's good to see people are still flying these little beauties. Between the "goodies" Heli_Pad sent me (thanks Bud) and some spare parts I had, I was able to put 3 s107's together that I gave to kids. Two of those kids are showing progress [interest] in flight.

These helis are so much fun. Set up a course of different landing zones (LZ's)

There is other cool games to play. Use your imagination

Mike.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 10, 2016, 02:43 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Hi Mike, good seeing you here.

I ended up ordering some main shafts from Amazon and got the repairs underway. Got a couple of friends hooked on flying. Cheers.
Aug 13, 2016, 06:44 AM
Hi everyone,
I recently got my S107 out of storage to find the battery would no longer hold sufficient charge so i ordered a 240mah replacement.
Anyway the new battery is fitted, LED comes on the heli and all looks good but when i come to turn on the transmitter it wont get a signal and there is no response at all from the heli-- just the front led and rear led flashing. Also it wont charge from the remote (stays green) or USB charger (stays red).
I put the old battery back in there and its all working again so i'm guessing the new battery is faulty?
I've checked the volatage and the battery reads 3.7v when off and 2.8v when turned on so is it possible its not supplying the heli enough current?
Last edited by markb5000; Aug 13, 2016 at 08:49 AM.
Aug 14, 2016, 10:30 AM
Judging from your description, I would also guess that the new battery is faulty. I'm not yet sure how bad it is and whether the situation is salvageable. But it does sound like that the new Lipo has tremendous internal resistance already. It might be some old stock, having been on the shelf passed its shelf life.

If it reads 3.7v without load, it is too low for storage. And 2.8v under load is just too low for the S107 to operate. The fact that it refuses to charge doesn't help. And if your old battery does not have any of these issues, just weakened and doesn't hold as much charge as before, that tells me that the rest of your heli is healthy.

If you have one of those better Lipo chargers, I would use it to recondition the 240mAh. Otherwise, consider contacting the seller for a refund or replacement. In any case, you'd probably need to source new batteries.

I have been using THESE. They are cheaper than the OEM replacements, but they do not have the Over Charging Protection builtin. I have to reclaim the circuitry from the old battery. Not a big deal.

Good luck with your repair.
Oct 25, 2016, 02:49 AM

T.b.e.

I'm late to the game in getting these. I got a WiFi version cheap and liked it enough that I wanted the actual controller to use with it. So I buy it now'd a lot of 3 broken ones for the price of one. All in boxes complete. Looking mint. Two had the common top rotor pins broken. I ordered some replacements but I couldn't wait and drilled holes where the pins were and snipped a small nail to the appropriate lengths and glued them in. Surprisingly that's all it took and they fly great. I gave those to my nephews.

The third one however has the toilet bowl effect. I swapped parts around and it still does it. This one didn't have broken top rotor pins.

I didn't try to swap the entire shaft though. I suppose it could be bent. I have some on the way.

But anyhow, I really like these.
Oct 25, 2016, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eel_dahc
I'm late to the game in getting these. I got a WiFi version cheap and liked it enough that I wanted the actual controller to use with it. So I buy it now'd a lot of 3 broken ones for the price of one. All in boxes complete. Looking mint. Two had the common top rotor pins broken. I ordered some replacements but I couldn't wait and drilled holes where the pins were and snipped a small nail to the appropriate lengths and glued them in. Surprisingly that's all it took and they fly great. I gave those to my nephews.

The third one however has the toilet bowl effect. I swapped parts around and it still does it. This one didn't have broken top rotor pins.

I didn't try to swap the entire shaft though. I suppose it could be bent. I have some on the way.

But anyhow, I really like these.
It's never too late eel for these fine little birds. I always still enjoy flying my two.
Oct 25, 2016, 10:58 AM
Epilepsy Awareness
eel_dahc TBE is mostly caused by the flybar. Pull the links off and polish the balls with a small piece of paper bag. Let me know how you make out.

Mike.
Oct 25, 2016, 11:18 AM
Epilepsy Awareness
eel_dahc, I forgot to tell you. Once the links are off, check for plastic "slag" around the ball. You'll need light sandpaper to get that slag off.

Mike.
Oct 25, 2016, 12:52 PM
Thanks guys, I think I found the culprit. The main shaft head is different from the others. Instead of the pins being lined up with the screws just above them, they are rotated to let's say 2 o'clock and 7 o'clock. Plus it has a little ball at the top. So I am guessing that someone tried to fix this one and used the wrong part. The copter looks brand new, but so does the other two. I have some main shafts on the way. I was kicking myself for buying them after fixing the other two with a nail but now I'm content because I needed one anyway.
Oct 25, 2016, 09:48 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds good man...
Oct 26, 2016, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eel_dahc
Thanks guys, I think I found the culprit. The main shaft head is different from the others. Instead of the pins being lined up with the screws just above them, they are rotated to let's say 2 o'clock and 7 o'clock. Plus it has a little ball at the top. So I am guessing that someone tried to fix this one and used the wrong part. The copter looks brand new, but so does the other two. I have some main shafts on the way. I was kicking myself for buying them after fixing the other two with a nail but now I'm content because I needed one anyway.
Yeah, I have also seen and a version of the head assembly with a little ball at the top. Believe it or not, it was from a genuine S107G, too. I don't have it in front of me now, but I could see why, the screws do not align with the pins. They probably line up with the flybar holes at 45.

I haven't come across any bent shaft during my days of repairing these. I imagine if the shaft is bent, you will observe lots of vibration. My recommendation is to replace the head assemble all together and see what happens.

If it helps, click on my name to read my blog. There is an article I wrote about my understanding of the TBE.

Good luck,

HP
Oct 26, 2016, 10:16 PM
I'll check it out. Thanks!
Nov 08, 2016, 03:04 AM
S107s got me into helis. Then V'911/ MSR/MSR-X/ Mpc-X V1/V2/Nano CP-X. Master c/p/ mini c/p V22D03/ v450D01 V2 etc. madness began with $20.00 rtf co-ax !! Lots of fun and still have most of it.
Nov 08, 2016, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04
S107s got me into helis. Then V'911/ MSR/MSR-X/ Mpc-X V1/V2/Nano CP-X. Master c/p/ mini c/p V22D03/ v450D01 V2 etc. madness began with $20.00 rtf co-ax !! Lots of fun and still have most of it.
Yep same here.....always loved these little birds....I still have my two that i fly from time to time.
Jan 22, 2017, 08:04 PM

My two old friends

Happy 2017....Kicking the the new off with spending some time with two old friends. Cause with these two....I'm learning CP (Control Pitch) flying now and I love it.
But back to my 107's....I don't fly them much but, I do fly them. To show you how awesome this RCgroup is, I remember when I first started on this forum, I was blown away on how kool everyone was on helping out us newbie's. And even more blown away that some of these guys helping, flew 450 and bigger but still stop by the Syma 107g page and offered help and still flew these little birds.....that's why I always stop by now and then to read and offer if I can.
Anywho.... been wanting to do this for a while and that is blow out dust, fine fine carpet hair etc...and oil and give a little tightness on all screws. Raining out, so got a fire going and did some maintenance and flying.
-Rick