Nov 13, 2012, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Best price for S107 today here.
If you are willing, S108 has better price.
Or, for a slightly diff flavor, get this Firebird.
Prices are higher in anticipation of Christmas!

The best price for the S-107 is now at $19.79 for the white S-107 from your fav seller.

Did a quickie review of the Amazon S-107 website and it may be interesting to compare these current prices later:
Yellow, red, and blue S-107s also from Battery Superstore (best prices now) at $20.75 ea. Similar prices for some items from A-Hobby.
Green S-107 at $19.93.
Colors vary S-107s at $21.19.

Remember when prices went as low a $15.99 just a few months ago!

The red Helizone Firebird on your last link, a 'rebrand' made by Syma, is currently at $20.00, and does look cool (prefer its color scheme over the common red Syma S-107s).
to remove ads between posts
Nov 13, 2012, 04:08 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Yes, and No. The "drive train" is very similar, and so they all share the stable flight characteristics. The electronics are somewhat different. While the boards are different, the S107 and the S109 are in the same "family". As such, their Txs are interchangeable. The S108 belongs to the other "family", along with the S026 and S110.

After playing with a number of different Syma models, the S108 is one of my favorites. Read my blog for a review.
Nov 13, 2012, 09:17 PM
Jake From Planet Mascoutah, IL
I want one more Syma micro...the S116G.

Nov 13, 2012, 10:00 PM
Maybe you guys already know this, But I just got a red S-107g and the trottle stay where you set it. No spring retract. This was going to be one of my mods. I got a blue one a week earlier and that one has the spring.
Nov 13, 2012, 11:17 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
I want one more Syma micro...the S116G.

Hooray! More scale helis!!!
Nov 14, 2012, 12:47 AM
Beautiful scale, Jake. Go get it, and send us a review. I'm not familiar with the S116. The Tx looks like the one from S108, possibly in that same family of choppers. Looking at the tail arrangement, it seems that it should fly even better than the S109. Should be very very similar to the S108, possibly even better, because it doesn't have all those missile launchers and guns getting in the way of the main rotor thrusts.
Nov 14, 2012, 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iplumb View Post
Maybe you guys already know this, But I just got a red S-107g and the trottle stay where you set it. No spring retract. This was going to be one of my mods. I got a blue one a week earlier and that one has the spring.
I have not yet come across a Syma S107 without the throttle return. Where did you get yours? Do you think it is a real one?

Some people like to remove the spring. Sounds like you're one of them. I tried it, but I didn't like it, so I re-installed it. Funny thing is, I fly everything else without the spring. For some reasons, I just prefer to have it with the Symas. There is no rhyme or reason for it.
Nov 14, 2012, 03:14 AM
Well I changed plans. I ordered two S108s due to the information I saw today. I may give my two S107s to the grand kids. I'll do some flight comparisons to compare them. Thanks for the responses.
Nov 14, 2012, 03:37 AM
Good choice. I don't think you would regret your decision.
Nov 14, 2012, 10:55 AM
I did something kind of dumb.
I just purchased a Syma S107G with 2 extra batteries so I could have more flight time not realizing that this heli does not have connecter pins for battery changing capability. Oh well they only cost $7.62 for the pair. I should have checked this thread first.
Nov 14, 2012, 11:05 AM
Epilepsy Awareness
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydown View Post
I did something kind of dumb.
I just purchased a Syma S107G with 2 extra batteries so I could have more flight time not realizing that this heli does not have connecter pins for battery changing capability. Oh well they only cost $7.62 for the pair. I should have checked this thread first.
Not to worry. They'll come in handy some day You will need a soldering iron along with some very little soldering skills when it comes time to replace it...

Mike.
Nov 14, 2012, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Not to worry. They'll come in handy some day You will need a soldering iron along with some very little soldering skills when it comes time to replace it...

Mike.
Not a problem. I have been converting my S107s to have swappable batteries. You could do the same if you want.

For now, I suggest that you just hang on to those spare batteries. If you're interested in the conversion process, let me know, I could show you the details. I did it so the battery is inside the canopy, not hanging between the skids. So, it looks completely like stock. It accepts hobby grade batteries, which I have a handful of. So, I could fly it as long as I want to.
Nov 14, 2012, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Not a problem. I have been converting my S107s to have swappable batteries. You could do the same if you want.

For now, I suggest that you just hang on to those spare batteries. If you're interested in the conversion process, let me know, I could show you the details. I did it so the battery is inside the canopy, not hanging between the skids. So, it looks completely like stock. It accepts hobby grade batteries, which I have a handful of. So, I could fly it as long as I want to.
If it flies just as well as stock I definitely would be interested in knowing how you did it as this is the only model I own that does not have swappable batteries.
I was thinking that I could solder on some small matching connectors of some sort for 3.7V batteries, receiver and charge plug.
Nov 14, 2012, 01:11 PM
@Flydown, since you asked. I'll share with you my preferred way of doing it. Since, I want to keep it stock, it has two parts. (1) Quick canopy removal (2) Battery connectors.

(1) Quick Canopy Removal
You want quick access to the space, without tools. So, my buddy, Daryoon and I, came up with this idea. Check out his blog page on the mod. Note that at the bottom of the page is a battery mod, but it only works for S105, not S107. The S107 has a shorter canopy. The battery won't fit this way. But feel free to consider the mod and its merits.

(2) Battery Mod
The idea is to add quick change connectors. The simplest thing is to cut up this extension cables from Hobby King. (Unfortunately, they are back order at the moment, but you get the idea). (2a) if you want your S107 to accept other micro batteries that you fly with other models, and charge with your own charger, you want to put the female end on the S107. Then solder the male end on the batteries. (2b) but if you want to be able to charge these batteries with the S107 USB cable, then you have to do the reverse. The S107 batteries have a small overcharging protection PCB built-in. Make sure you keep them there. I have a feeling that you're not new to this hobby, so I won't get into that detail. Let me know if I need to explain more.

Once you do the two mods above, it is just plug and play, and your S107 looks completely stock. No one could tell that it's been modified. CG would not be changed. And it flies just as well.
Nov 14, 2012, 01:44 PM
Heli Pad,

Thanks for the detailed info. I'm pretty sure I will get around to doing these mods.
Your feeling about me not being totally new to the hobby is correct. (about 3 years into it)
Click my avatar to see what I fly.

Quick Reply