Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 08, 2017, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moph
SOLVED

Factory LiPo preset 'LiPo 1s/2s Small Non Balanced' set manually to 2S and 1800mAh charge rate (1C). Apparently I didn't look hard enough earlier =P

---

ORIGINAL QUESTION

Is there any way of charging Fatshark HD3 battery packs using the Powerlab 8v2? They're a 2S 1800mAh LiPo but don't have balance leads - there's apparently circuitry inside that does the balancing. I haven't been able to find a mode that will charge without balance cables connected.

Here's a pic - note the JST-XH plug is to run the ventilation fan on the goggles and isn't a balance plug (only two wire for a 2S battery). The banana plug adaptor is all that's supplied for charging it. The bag the battery comes in states:
'WARNING! Balancing circuit is already built inside, only need to connect the barrel connector via the supplied adapter cable to RC charger for lipo charge (1C).'

Odd, I have that same battery and it has a proper 3-wire balance plug that charges no problem from powerlab. I would mention not to charge at 2C even though that's the max. printed on the battery. I tried it and it started puffing (I'm pretty sure - was slight and it's hard case so harder to see).
to remove ads between posts
Dec 12, 2017, 01:22 PM
RE Solved:

That 2s preset is still no good on very low rate cells, as CV is limited to 15 mins when 1 to 2 hours is sometimes required. And even more screwed on 3S transmitter packs, or on 4, 5, 6 or 7, and 8S packs as used on my quads, FPV monitor packs etc. Or on 16650 cell packs with BMS etc. As there's no way to even do them badly.
Dec 13, 2017, 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckler
Odd, I have that same battery and it has a proper 3-wire balance plug that charges no problem from powerlab. I would mention not to charge at 2C even though that's the max. printed on the battery. I tried it and it started puffing (I'm pretty sure - was slight and it's hard case so harder to see).
Yeah I'm not sure when the change occurred - I did see on the web that they used to have a 3-wire balance plug but they've obviously changed it recently, probably when they introduced the balancing circuitry into the pack itself.

It all seems a bit silly to me - if you're not supplying a charger with your product and are relying on your customers to have an RC LiPo charger then that charger is going to be set up to accept balance leads. Why then go this odd route of integrating balance charge circuitry and not providing a standard balance lead? Also having the ventilation fan on the Fatsharks being a separate plug to main power is just kooky too ... I'll be operating on them to fix that for sure.

Edit: Oh - my pack has max charge rate of 1C printed on the back, so they must have revised that from your earlier model as well.
Jan 07, 2018, 03:55 PM
So I can't seem to make a preset for 1S HV 250 mAh batteries. In the Powerlab 8 software it says, "CHARGE VOLTAGE should be <= 4.2V".

How can I get it to go above this?

Running the latest firmware.
Mar 08, 2018, 04:03 PM
Hello guys,
I'm trying to charge a 2s 2100mah liFE battery on my pl8, but keep getting the "cells no add up" message.
Charging such batteries on pl8 is new to me.
Which preset should I pick?
I'm trying preset #13, that is "a123 2100mah accurate charge".
Thanks for any help.
Last edited by hilarious; Mar 08, 2018 at 04:13 PM.
Mar 08, 2018, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilarious
Hello guys,
I'm trying to charge a 2s 2100mah liFE battery on my pl8, but keep getting the "cells no add up" message.
Charging such batteries on pl8 is new to me.
Which preset should I pick?
I'm trying preset #13, that is "a123 2100mah accurate charge".
Thanks for any help.
I believe you are using the correct preset.

The "Cells No Add Up" message probably indicates that one or more of the battery connections is not making good contact. I suggest you clean all the connection pins on both the battery and your adapter board. A good cleaner is DeoxIt.
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_8y7wbswnzb_e

Glen
Mar 08, 2018, 08:57 PM
BVH
BVH
Is your 2S battery balance harness equipped and if so, is it being connected thru a balance board to the charger? That preset wants to see a balance harness connection.
Mar 17, 2018, 06:42 PM

IR on cell 4

Hey Guys, I have been using my Powerlab8 for about 6 years now but just got the USB adapter to play with the settings and figured I would graph a few batteries.

I was running a charge graph on a Rline 4cell 1300mah battery, charging at 2C which is how I have charged these batteries several times and noticed on the IR over time graph cell 4 is 2X the IR as the other 3 cells. Is this a cause for concern or is this normal?

Thanks,

Dennis
Mar 17, 2018, 07:45 PM
ancora imparo
Change the balance connector wiring mode from FMA to XH/EH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DForbes
Hey Guys, I have been using my Powerlab8 for about 6 years now but just got the USB adapter to play with the settings and figured I would graph a few batteries.

I was running a charge graph on a Rline 4cell 1300mah battery, charging at 2C which is how I have charged these batteries several times and noticed on the IR over time graph cell 4 is 2X the IR as the other 3 cells. Is this a cause for concern or is this normal?

Thanks,

Dennis
Mar 17, 2018, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604
Change the balance connector wiring mode from FMA to XH/EH.
Ah OK cool, yeah I saw that didn't think to change it,

Thank you for the help!

Dennis
Mar 18, 2018, 07:12 AM

Safety mode

Hello guys,
If the cells aren't healthy enough, pl8 will not start the charge and show the "safety mode" message. Any other charger I know will balance the same battery w/o an issue.
This "protection" feature of pl8 is just inconvenient and totally unnecessary. Is there a way to prevent pl8 entering safety mode?
Thanks.
Mar 18, 2018, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Hello guys,
If the cells aren't healthy enough, pl8 will not start the charge and show the "safety mode" message. Any other charger I know will balance the same battery w/o an issue.
This "protection" feature of pl8 is just inconvenient and totally unnecessary. Is there a way to prevent pl8 entering safety mode?
Thanks.
What are the voltages of each individual cell in the pack when this happens?
Mar 18, 2018, 08:11 AM
Let us say, for example, a cell that is 3.65V and the rest is 3.80V.
It happens quite frequently, especially with unhealthy batteries.
The charge process starts normally, but if you scroll and get to the screen that shows the elapsed time, you will see "safety something" instead of "lipo const. curr."
Once it gets into this situation, it will take centuries for the charge to complete.
I think it is a very well known pl8 thing.
Thanks.
Mar 18, 2018, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Let us say, for example, a cell that is 3.65V and the rest is 3.80V.
It happens quite frequently, especially with unhealthy batteries.
The charge process starts normally, but if you scroll and get to the screen that shows the elapsed time, you will see "safety something" instead of "lipo const. curr."
Once it gets into this situation, it will take centuries for the charge to complete.
I think it is a very well known pl8 thing.
Thanks.
Would you knowingly use unhealthy batteries?

I've been using PowerLabs since the first PL8 came out in 2010 and I've never received that error.
Mar 18, 2018, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmic
Would you knowingly use unhealthy batteries?

I've been using PowerLabs since the first PL8 came out in 2010 and I've never received that error.
This is not an error. This is a charging mode it enters when a cell voltage is quite different from the others. The charge proceeds, but takes years to finish.

Well, my batteries are unhealthy according to pl8 standards. I have been using such batteries for years, but quite often having a hard time when charging them on pl8. On the other hand, I charge them on ICharger w/o an issue.

Actually, this is a well known pl8 "feature ". I asked the same question here a few years ago and the answer I got was that it is for protection and safety reasons. I honestly don't buy that, since this is the only charger with this characteristic.

Most guys here in my flying field gave up pl8 due to this. I'm one of the few who still use it, but it is hard to stand for pl8 when they start bashing it.

What I need to know is if there is a tolerance parameter that I can adjust on the firmware so that I can charge those batteries more easily.

Thanks.

Quick Reply