Sneak Peek at the NEW Cellpro PowerLab 8 (v2) - Page 439 - RC Groups
May 25, 2017, 01:49 PM

Fuim3 diy

Hey guys,

While I respect buying the original parts out of supporting the vendor's R&D, I found myself having forgotten to order an FUIM3 cable and wanting only to make sure I had the latest firmware.

As I had however seen how a poster had hooked up a bluetooth module, since I had an FTDI programmer handy (FT232 chipset, called "FTDI friend" by the folks at Adafruit), I managed to get going without needing the cable. Attaching a picture but essentially, it calls for connecting the same layout as the bluetooth module hookup with the same switching diode (1n4148) along with a 10k and 100 ohm resistors. I set the FTDI adapter to 115200 in the windows device manager and also plugged together the FTDI VCC 5v out to the PL8 VCC pin.

When I had originally tried it, I had not connected the 5V and this was resulting in a less pleasant corruption of the firmware during upgrade
So I plugged in the 5V and also switched the baud rate to 115200 in the windows driver as specified above and that seemed to work although I am not sure which change managed to fix it.

So really, purely for those electronics guys with an FTDI programmer and diodes lying around that somehow didnt have a FUIM3 programmer on hand. I really dont care much for programming the charger myself and havent seen much point in it thus far (and didnt feel like waiting for a cable to be delivered).

Mat
to remove ads between posts
May 26, 2017, 08:59 PM
Hi Guys - does the pl8 autodetect 6v, 12v, or 24v sla batteries?
May 28, 2017, 04:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulz43
No - and I want to know how to do this properly. It's been explained before but I don't quite understand it. Preset templates didn't have any 6v 12v or 24v I could see.
May 28, 2017, 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulz43
Library Preset 25 (12v SLA or Gel Cell)
Under the Detection tab: the Cells selection lists:
Auto Detect and 1 Cell Only through 12 Cells Only.

Is that what you were looking for?

Glen
May 28, 2017, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1

Glen
That's what I ended up doing. had to use the computer to change it to autodetect the cell count. I just removed 12v from the preset name.
Jun 07, 2017, 08:36 AM
That will charge at 7A and CV at 13.98V, and terminate at 1/10th of the 7A. Or sooner.

Which means your battery will be way, way undercharged!

You need:
14.1V (2.35vpc) gel
14.4 to 14.6V for generic AGM
14.7V for pure lead like Odyssey/Optima
You need a manual termination setting of 750th to 1000th C where C is capacity to fully charge and return all the lead sulfate back to the gel/acid or suffer a very short service life.

So terminate a 70Ah lead brick at around 100mA or lower preferably 70mA. And set a CV time limit of 8 hours, and a charge limit of 16 hours. You will find it takes a long time to properly charge and saturate a lead battery.
Jun 07, 2017, 08:55 AM
Quote:

Glen
Thanks for this - I'll do this this week!
Jun 07, 2017, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWilliamson
That will charge at 7A and CV at 13.98V, and terminate at 1/10th of the 7A. Or sooner.

You need:
14.1V (2.35vpc) gel
You need a manual termination setting of 750th to 1000th C where C is capacity to fully charge and return all the lead sulfate back to the gel/acid or suffer a very short service life.

So terminate a 70Ah lead brick at around 100mA or lower preferably 70mA. And set a CV time limit of 8 hours, and a charge limit of 16 hours. You will find it takes a long time to properly charge and saturate a lead battery.
Sounds really complicated!
Jun 07, 2017, 10:38 AM
How do I charge this pack with my DPL8? There is no default preset I see for it and most the info in the thread relates to ones without a balance lead. I have a JR lead and a balance tap.
Jun 07, 2017, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodi11
How do I charge this pack with my DPL8? There is no default preset I see for it and most the info in the thread relates to ones without a balance lead. I have a JR lead and a balance tap.
The JR lead becomes your main charge/discharge cable. Connect it via an adapter (JR to bullets/bananas) to the banana jacks on your charger. connect the balance tap to the balance connector on your charger via an adapter board. Charge as any 2S battery.

Glen
Jun 07, 2017, 11:30 PM
Quote:
The JR lead becomes your main charge/discharge cable. Connect it via an adapter (JR to bullets/bananas) to the banana jacks on your charger. connect the balance tap to the balance connector on your charger via an adapter board. Charge as any 2S battery.

Glen
Thanks so lipo preset then?
Jun 08, 2017, 03:47 AM
yeah - number 1 is best preset
Jun 08, 2017, 03:49 AM
I was gonna say - be careful charging 1c through those servo lead type wires. My heli has a 6000mah 2s lipo and I tried to charge at 1c and the servo connectors melted and the wires got really hot! Luckily I caught it... so now I only charge it at max 2.5amp!
Jun 15, 2017, 04:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWilliamson

You need:
14.1V (2.35vpc) gel

>Sounds really complicated!

Not really, but if you don't do this your expensive lead brick field batteries will die much, much sooner! Stock pre-set is not even close to optimal.
Jul 18, 2017, 02:50 PM
I searched through this thread searching for subject matter on Android tablets. I purchased one last year for my work and now it has mostly replaced my laptop. I have a mini USB adaptor and can mount most large USB and other devices to it.

I was wonder if anyone is working on a program to run a Power Lab 8 ( the CCS software) for a Android tablet. I looked through the Google Play Store and did find some software for the bump charger but nothing for the power labs or any other charger.