EzFly free plans for great trainer plane - Page 22 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Feb 02, 2016, 10:33 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purduepete
So you're saying that the prop on backward can make the plane fly forward (just not very well)? I'm a complete physics/aeronautics dunce - would not have guessed in 100 years that a prop on BACKWARD would still allow the plane to move FORWARD. I'll try flipping it around - maybe it'll fix the flight problem, and maybe it'll quiet the thing down too. It is LOUD (at least compared to my Sport Cub S with a tiny little brushed motor).

Rudder travel - I have a DX6i - I can adjust travel percent to be below, at, or above 100%, so I'll try bumping up to 125% to see what happens. I know the servo has more distance it can travel.

To clarify, increasing mechanically would involve moving control wire to an outer hole on the servo, and/or an inner hole on the control horn. Sound right?

Stay tuned for more updates. . .

Pete
If your prop has numbers/letters on it , in MOST cases the numbers/letters face the front of the plane - no matter where the motor is located on the plane ( front , middle or rear ) . If the prop does NOT have numbers/letters on it , look at the blades closely - they should be slightly convex on the front and slightly concave on the rear . Kind of like a spoon "scoops" ice cream , a prop "scoops" the air .

If using the DX6i for adjusting rudder travel to the RIGHT , you have to hold the TX stick ( that operates the rudder ) to the right while making the adjustment .

Mechanically on the plane , you can also take the servo arm off of the servo and put it back on angled slightly toward left rudder . That way the servo arm will have less travel toward left rudder and more travel toward right rudder .
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Feb 03, 2016, 04:06 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purduepete
So you're saying that the prop on backward can make the plane fly forward (just not very well)? I'm a complete physics/aeronautics dunce - would not have guessed in 100 years that a prop on BACKWARD would still allow the plane to move FORWARD. ...
I once purposely mounted a GWS prop on backward just to see how much thrust it would produce going forward. As I recall, I got about 40% of the thrust that I would get when I mounted that same GWS prop with the correct facing.
Feb 03, 2016, 01:35 PM
Registered User
Had literally 5 minutes today to work on figuring this out. Switched prop direction. Could immediately feel the difference in thrust prior to hand launching.
Was able to get a couple of minutes in the air. Very windy, so not able to do any trimming out, but at least she flies now!!
Thanks for your help,
Pete
Feb 03, 2016, 01:44 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purduepete
Had literally 5 minutes today to work on figuring this out. Switched prop direction. Could immediately feel the difference in thrust prior to hand launching.
Was able to get a couple of minutes in the air. Very windy, so not able to do any trimming out, but at least she flies now!!
Thanks for your help,
Pete
Nice !
Feb 03, 2016, 02:53 PM
Registered User
motorhead's Avatar
Awesome. Glad you got it flying.
Mike
Fancyfoam
Feb 05, 2016, 01:02 AM
Zen
zen4013's Avatar
Motorhead, I have a question...and after going through this entire thread (yep, all 2,105 posts of it) a couple of times I havent seen this addressed.

When you designed the EZ Fly, why did you put the full length fuse section in the center and the shorter sections on the outside? I would think that TWO full size sections on the OUTside, with 2 or 3 short sections in the middle would allow for hiding the electronics a lot easier and the 2 full length fuse sections would add strength.

Just curious.
Feb 05, 2016, 01:47 AM
Mark Harrison
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purduepete
So you're saying that the prop on backward can make the plane fly forward (just not very well)? I'm a complete physics/aeronautics dunce - would not have guessed in 100 years that a prop on BACKWARD would still allow the plane to move FORWARD. I'll try flipping it around - maybe it'll fix the flight problem, and maybe it'll quiet the thing down too. It is LOUD (at least compared to my Sport Cub S with a tiny little brushed motor).

Rudder travel - I have a DX6i - I can adjust travel percent to be below, at, or above 100%, so I'll try bumping up to 125% to see what happens. I know the servo has more distance it can travel.

To clarify, increasing mechanically would involve moving control wire to an outer hole on the servo, and/or an inner hole on the control horn. Sound right?

Stay tuned for more updates. . .

Pete
It's not intuitive at all... but flipping the prop keeps the pitch going forward, but with a bad airfoil shape. Be sure the numbers are facing forward.

I've done the same thing... it is a lot louder than usual.

And you're right about the mechanical adjustment.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!
Feb 05, 2016, 08:35 AM
Registered User
motorhead's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen4013
Motorhead, I have a question...and after going through this entire thread (yep, all 2,105 posts of it) a couple of times I havent seen this addressed.

When you designed the EZ Fly, why did you put the full length fuse section in the center and the shorter sections on the outside? I would think that TWO full size sections on the OUTside, with 2 or 3 short sections in the middle would allow for hiding the electronics a lot easier and the 2 full length fuse sections would add strength.

Just curious.
Initially the fuselage doublers were shorter and were intended just to make the nose more durable. Also any extra weight in the tail needs to be countered be even more weight in the nose. I did do a EzFly Icon build where I hid the receiver and esc in the center fuselage piece.
A box fuselage would be the best modification. It would allow all the gear to be hidden and would make the whole fuselage more rigid. Might have to build one for the fun of it.
Mike
Feb 05, 2016, 10:53 AM
Zen
zen4013's Avatar
I wish I knew how to make a set of plans like that. I am fairly skilled with 2D/ 2.5D drawing in both AutoCad and Corel Draw....so I can draw....I just dont know how to compensate for the curves and tabs and such things. I realize a lot of the guys are using Sketchup and they just flatten out the "skin" in order to draw the top and bottom for a box fuse, but a drawing like that would take me 5 times longer than just cutting the slab sides and eye-balling the top and bottom covers.

The only problem with that method is that you lose the "tab" assembly aids.
If you do decide to try a box fuse, I'd be psyched to try it!

Along with my full sized EZ, I am starting a micro build as well. I have the guts from a WLToys F959 ( http://www.banggood.com/search/f959.html ) that uses a postage stamp sized brick for rec/ESC/servos and is set up for RET. The weight of the brick and the DD motor is about 25 grams. It's a 4" folding pusher prop that I will switch out for a standard SF 4025 type.

Casual measurement shows this prop and motor combo to put out about 3 oz of thrust. I'm looking at a scaled down EZ with a 24" wingspan but no other changes. Dollar store foam for rigidity and a 0.060" CF rod to help keep the wing straight.

Any thoughts? The original F959 weighed in at 110 grams AUW with the supplied 7.2v 300 Mah battery. I figure I can get in below that in order to have some reserve power on the micro EZ.

The F959 guts
Feb 06, 2016, 03:47 PM
Registered User
motorhead's Avatar
The EzFly Mini is now available.
http://fancyfoam-com.3dcartstores.co...Kit_p_235.html

The thread is here.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2598449

Plans will be available later this week.
Mike
Fancyfoam
Last edited by motorhead; Feb 07, 2016 at 09:40 AM.
Feb 07, 2016, 02:43 AM
Quads & Planes, cant beat them
sleb's Avatar
I think you mean that the thread is here. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2598449
Feb 07, 2016, 09:41 AM
Registered User
motorhead's Avatar
Thanks, I fixed the link.
Mike
Feb 07, 2016, 10:46 AM
Zen
zen4013's Avatar
Thanks for the links guys, and great to see the mini EZ getting attention.

Unfortunately this year has been a bit difficult for me financially so I am looking for projects that I can build with what I have on hand. Otherwise I would certainly purchase from you motorhead....your store and planes get great reviews.

I was wondering why the Cessna T-50 plans were never published and why it is no longer available in your store? I have about a dozen Johnson J-250 motors laying around and with a 3020 prop they put out over 5 oz of thrust at about 5 amps each. Seems like it would work on the T-50 frame.
Feb 08, 2016, 03:57 PM
Registered User
motorhead's Avatar
Plans are now listed at the bottom of the first post in the EzFly Mini thread.
Mike
Feb 12, 2016, 11:31 AM
Registered User
Fantastic plane! I'm building the regular EzFly at 70% out of foam board for my girlfriend. So far its going together quite well. I'm hoping to have it done for her in a few days. Thank you for your plans and I'm thinking of getting one of the EPO plane kits for myself as I haven't any idea on where to get sheets of it locally.
Feb 13, 2016, 11:05 PM
Registered User
I received the aileron kit version in the mail today. Searched the thread and couldn't locate the answer. On the non aileron version I see the wing tips are angled up.

On the photos for aileron version it looks as though they aren't, is this correct? Is the wing just straight across?
Feb 13, 2016, 11:32 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by photohap
I received the aileron kit version in the mail today. Searched the thread and couldn't locate the answer. On the non aileron version I see the wing tips are angled up.

On the photos for aileron version it looks as though they aren't, is this correct? Is the wing just straight across?
Yes .
Feb 14, 2016, 10:23 AM
Registered User

Help w Readi-Board build


Dumb newbie question here...

Read about this plane, and sounds perfect to get my sons off video games!

So, we bought ReadiBoard, downloaded the plans (r3)...The wing will not fully fit on on 30" readiboard...was hoping it did, and then it would be easier to do the angle?

Should we just cut at where the angle is instead?

Thanks!
Feb 14, 2016, 12:04 PM
Registered User
motorhead's Avatar
Yes, you can just cut at the dihedral bends, Cut the ends at an angle and glue them back on.
Mike
Feb 14, 2016, 02:24 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead
Yes, you can just cut at the dihedral bends, Cut the ends at an angle and glue them back on.
Mike
Great thanks!

The ReadiBoard is actually about 5mm thick, do we double it everywhere?

Do we remove the paper?
Feb 14, 2016, 03:04 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroadrunner
Great thanks!

The ReadiBoard is actually about 5mm thick, do we double it everywhere?

Do we remove the paper?
I make EzFlys out of ReadiBoard , both paper on and paper off . Single layer everywhere except the wing's leading edge will be double layer with the KFm , and the nose will be triple layer with the two nose doublers .

For a stronger , faster flying EzFly - I leave the paper on and scotch tape over all the edges . But the exposed paper will be susceptible to moisture .

For a very lightweight slow and floaty EzFly , I cut out all the parts and then peel the paper off . I also use lightweight electronics and increase the wingspan to 40" for very light wing loading .

Here is one made with paper on :

Bouncy Plane (4 min 58 sec)




And here is one made with paper off :

Copy of EzFly with under-cambered wing (1 min 57 sec)
Feb 14, 2016, 03:16 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
I make EzFlys out of ReadiBoard , both paper on and paper off . Single layer everywhere except the wing's leading edge will be double layer with the KFm , and the nose will be triple layer with the two nose doublers .

For a stronger , faster flying EzFly - I leave the paper on and scotch tape over all the edges . But the exposed paper will be susceptible to moisture .

For a very lightweight slow and floaty EzFly , I cut out all the parts and then peel the paper off . I also use lightweight electronics and increase the wingspan to 40" for very light wing loading .

Here is one made with paper on :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rooeqdFX7JY



And here is one made with paper off :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxaUadvhgbc
Wow...that 2nd video really floats!

Thanks for the tips!
Feb 14, 2016, 03:31 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroadrunner
Wow...that 2nd video really floats!

Thanks for the tips!
The slow and floaty EzFly is great for someone flying RC for the very first time , but kids get bored with it quickly because it only does slow and floaty .
Feb 18, 2016, 08:29 PM
Registered User
Finally got a break in the rain to maiden my aileron version today.

My mini review would be:

This is the perfect aileron trainer. The flight characteristics are snappy, but yet gentle enough as to not get overwhelmed.

Speed wise with a 24g 1500kv motor and 8 inch prop, it has a little kick, but not so fast it will get away from you.

Pros:

Durability, its epp. I belly landed on pavement and can't even tell. I am not sure but I think the kit uses 1.3 epp, personally I would go with 1.9.

Easy to use. It glides well. Doesn't seem to tip stall. The CG seems to be forgiving also.

Easy to build. Personally I would buy the kit the first time, one it helps you get familiar with how the parts look when they are cut, and two you are helping support the designer. I was able to paint this and put it together in two nights, I used airbrush acrylic for the paint, and tac foam for the glue.

Cons:

EPP. as I stated earlier I would go with 1.9 instead of 1.3, but this is just personal preference. Towards the aft of the fuselage it seems a bit flimsy. Although I do have to say in a very windy flight it didn't suffer at all.

Aileron support. Where the ailerons go seems it may be a week point. Time will tell on this one. Maybe adding some tape under the wing where they are positioned will help. Mine are just glued in for now.

If you are new I wouldn't hesistate at all to order this kit. When you do order it, be sure to trace your parts out on some posterboard or foamboard so you have a template for a future build.
Feb 19, 2016, 12:34 PM
Registered User
motorhead's Avatar
If anyone is interested I am doing a Facebook giveaway.
Mike

EzFly Aileron Giveaway
Feb 19, 2016, 01:43 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
GottaZoom's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead
If anyone is interested I am doing a Facebook giveaway.
Mike

EzFly Aileron Giveaway
I LIKE that X-Raycer (new to me)! I've been looking for an F-22 in EPP but I'll read up on it in your other thread.

Can you enter those of us without Facebook from posts here or via email?
Feb 19, 2016, 02:21 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroadrunner
So, we bought ReadiBoard, downloaded the plans (r3)...The wing will not fully fit on on 30" readiboard...was hoping it did, and then it would be easier to do the angle?
I just scaled the plans so that the wing is 30" long and the main body is 30" long and then it is really easy to build out of readi-board. I tend to do that with just about anything that has a 31-33" wingspan, just scale it down a bit, and it works fine.
Feb 20, 2016, 09:30 AM
Registered User
motorhead's Avatar
Maybe I should do a give away here. I'll think about it.
Mike
Feb 20, 2016, 09:46 AM
Registered User
EZFLY mini 28inch(not so mini :-)) maiden.
EZFLY MINI 28inch.. (0 min 38 sec)
Feb 21, 2016, 10:01 AM
Registered User
second flight of mini EZFLY
Second flight EzFly mini, needs some trimming in rudder to keep a straight flight (1 min 29 sec)
Feb 21, 2016, 02:53 PM
KL,

Looks good.
Lot so wind again?

Paco
Feb 22, 2016, 07:59 AM
Registered User
No Paco, wind was fine only but i flew almost after 4 months so was literally throwing the sticks left and right...
flight was much smoother today...
I am still a rookie due to lack of practice on sticks
Feb 22, 2016, 01:40 PM
Registered User
motorhead's Avatar
Looks like you are doing good to me.
Mike
Feb 22, 2016, 09:28 PM
Registered User
just trying to learn mike...
problem is I don't have easy access to open field on weekends and can t skip work every day for flying.Plus I dont have any buddy nearby who is in the same hobby.
Feb 23, 2016, 02:12 AM
Mark Harrison
KL, looks really nice, keep up the good work and post more videos!
Feb 23, 2016, 08:17 AM
Registered User
thanks All for compliments and moral boost :-)
tried the plane with a 3S and 6X3 prop in my apartment compund... it literally goes wild with 3S, i could not handle it with reduced throws.
will fly again on weekend in open space and will post the video for that...
-KL
Feb 24, 2016, 02:36 PM
Registered User
John Gallagher's Avatar
There seems to be a problem with the fancyfoam.com website. Is it still in business?
Feb 24, 2016, 02:51 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
GottaZoom's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gallagher
There seems to be a problem with the fancyfoam.com website. Is it still in business?
Working for me with Firefox.
Feb 24, 2016, 04:46 PM
Registered User
motorhead's Avatar
If you are having problems you can email me at mike@fancyfoam.com
Mike
Mar 01, 2016, 11:35 AM
Registered User
John Gallagher's Avatar
Mike,
Please don't take my questions as criticism, you have designed a great trainer.
Why did you put the prop in a slot?

Has anyone tried raising the motor pylon higher to make the prop clear the wing? Wouldn't this reduce the noise level and improve prop efficiency?
Last edited by John Gallagher; Mar 01, 2016 at 12:06 PM.
Mar 01, 2016, 04:20 PM
Registered User
motorhead's Avatar
Questions are welcome. Putting the prop in a slot allows use of a larger diameter prop that has much more efficiency than having a smaller prop above the wing. It is a little bit noisier though.
Mike
Mar 11, 2016, 05:43 AM
Here an aileron version in 6 mm depron.
Weigth ready to fly with 3s 1000 Zippy 317 grams.
24 grams HXT 1700 with 7x4 prop.
2 x Turnigy MG for rudder and elevator.
2 HXT 500 for the ailerons.
Maiden video was filmed totally out of focus and not worth to place. Sorry.

Does not roll the way I like, have to check why.
Further flies just as an dyhetheral EZ fly.

Motor mount is custom made by my 3D printer!
If in need you can order them.
Also other versions can be designed and printed.

Paco
Mar 11, 2016, 07:54 AM
Registered User
Looks nice! I was about to get really jealous of your super clean plane until I saw the last picture (dirty/dinged up nose). That looks more like mine, except I have that dirt and damage all over it! This was mostly from when I had the prop on backwards and wondered why I couldn't keep it in the air.

Weather's finally turning here - EZ Fly will be my first one out of the hanger to get back into the air after a couple of months of cold and wind. Really looking forward to it.

Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupaCreations
Here an aileron version in 6 mm depron.
Weigth ready to fly with 3s 1000 Zippy 317 grams.
24 grams HXT 1700 with 7x4 prop.
2 x Turnigy MG for rudder and elevator.
2 HXT 500 for the ailerons.
Maiden video was filmed totally out of focus and not worth to place. Sorry.

Does not roll the way I like, have to check why.
Further flies just as an dyhetheral EZ fly.

Motor mount is custom made by my 3D printer!
If in need you can order them.
Also other versions can be designed and printed.

Paco
Mar 12, 2016, 02:38 PM
Registered User
motorhead's Avatar
I would guess that you are experiencing some adverse yaw. When you give right aileron the plane yaws to the left some. This can be fixed by making sure that your ailerons move more up than down. I would start at down aileron is 50% of up aileron. You can either do this mechanically by having your servo arm be tilted back 45 deg with the aileron neutral or with your computer radio.
Mike
Fancyfoam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupaCreations
Here an aileron version in 6 mm depron.
Weigth ready to fly with 3s 1000 Zippy 317 grams.
24 grams HXT 1700 with 7x4 prop.
2 x Turnigy MG for rudder and elevator.
2 HXT 500 for the ailerons.
Maiden video was filmed totally out of focus and not worth to place. Sorry.

Does not roll the way I like, have to check why.
Further flies just as an dyhetheral EZ fly.

Motor mount is custom made by my 3D printer!
If in need you can order them.
Also other versions can be designed and printed.

Paco
Mar 30, 2016, 09:44 PM
Registered User
I was just wondering if I could either use my 2208 2600kv motor, or my 2212 1400kv motor. (on 3s with a 800 or 1500mah)

I could use my 6x4 propellers or something bigger like an 8x4 for the 2212.

Has anyone tried to make this plane out of dollartree/ dollar store foamboard because I have a few left over from my last scratchbuild.
Mar 30, 2016, 10:15 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechExplorations
I was just wondering if I could either use my 2208 2600kv motor, or my 2212 1400kv motor. (on 3s with a 800 or 1500mah)

I could use my 6x4 propellers or something bigger like an 8x4 for the 2212.

Has anyone tried to make this plane out of dollartree/ dollar store foamboard because I have a few left over from my last scratchbuild.
I have built dozens of EzFlys out of Dollar Tree foam board . Your 2600 kv motor is probably more suited for an F16 or F22 parkjet style plane , I would use the 1400 kv motor for an EzFly trainer . The prop slot on the EzFly is sized for a 7" prop .

Here's one I made out of Dollar Tree foam board :

Copy of EzFly with under-cambered wing (1 min 57 sec)
Mar 31, 2016, 03:45 PM
Registered User
motorhead's Avatar
2212 is a little big. The 2208 is also a little big but would be fine.
Mike
Mar 31, 2016, 06:17 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead
2212 is a little big. The 2208 is also a little big but would be fine.
Mike
Maybe make the EzFly 150% .
Apr 02, 2016, 09:12 PM
Registered User
Thanks you both for your replies. I just finished my mig 29 and had a 2208, but the firewall broke off during testing and ripped one of the wires from my motor. I am awaiting a new 2208 and a 2212. I will try it with both of the solution and let you know what worked out. I was wondering how many sheets of dollar tree foam board did it take to complete the plane?
Apr 02, 2016, 09:40 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechExplorations
Thanks you both for your replies. I just finished my mig 29 and had a 2208, but the firewall broke off during testing and ripped one of the wires from my motor. I am awaiting a new 2208 and a 2212. I will try it with both of the solution and let you know what worked out. I was wondering how many sheets of dollar tree foam board did it take to complete the plane?
That depends on the size EzFly you are making and how well you can arrange the parts on a sheet of foam board . I usually buy 5 or 6 sheets when I make a trip to the Dollar Tree Store .

If you've ordered new motors , why not order the recommended motor for an EzFly - a 24 gram Blue Wonder style ?
Apr 02, 2016, 11:27 PM
Registered User
I needed these two motors for other projects, which is why I ordered them, but I should have bought the blue wonder motor with this order. Oh well, it's been shipped already.
Apr 09, 2016, 11:22 AM
Registered User
Will 1 1/2 sheet do.
Apr 09, 2016, 03:31 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechExplorations
Will 1 1/2 sheet do.
Ditto above post :
"That depends on the size EzFly you are making and how well you can arrange the parts on a sheet of foam board . I usually buy 5 or 6 sheets when I make a trip to the Dollar Tree Store ."
Apr 10, 2016, 07:17 PM
Throw a glider!
glider90's Avatar
Hello, I am scratch building a couple EZ's for my son and daughter to fly. Where can I get the motor mounts from?
My Turnigy 2730 has an 8mm hub for motor mounts.
~thanks
Jim
Apr 10, 2016, 08:00 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by glider90
Hello, I am scratch building a couple EZ's for my son and daughter to fly. Where can I get the motor mounts from?
My Turnigy 2730 has an 8mm hub for motor mounts.
~thanks
Jim
HobbyKing USA East has these :
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=57491



Mike , the designer of the EzFly also sells them :

http://fancyfoam-com.3dcartstores.co...ount_p_62.html
Apr 11, 2016, 06:49 PM
Registered User
Should there be a up/down thrust on the motor?
Apr 11, 2016, 07:29 PM
Registered User
lennyboy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Kitt
Should there be a up/down thrust on the motor?
Page 68 has picture of up thrust take a look

Lenny
Apr 11, 2016, 07:29 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Kitt
Should there be a up/down thrust on the motor?
The high mounting of the motor has the same effect as down thrust . But built to plans it will climb with increased throttle - if you don't want that , you can mount the motor higher .
Apr 12, 2016, 06:33 PM
Registered User
Thanks!
Apr 29, 2016, 11:01 PM
Mark Harrison
Does the Fancy Foam EzFly kit come with 1.3# or 1.9# EPP?

How many 12x36 sheets needed for one plane?

http://fancyfoam-com.3dcartstores.co...ets_p_163.html
Last edited by marhar; Apr 29, 2016 at 11:22 PM.
May 02, 2016, 03:43 PM
Registered User
motorhead's Avatar
1.3# foam.
It will take a 3 pack of foam to cut all the parts.
Mike
May 16, 2016, 08:03 PM
Lost at LAX
Old Fart's Avatar
Is there a pdf with tiled 8-1/2 x 11 sheets? Looking at the beginning of the thread, I'm only seeing A4.
May 16, 2016, 08:28 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fart
Is there a pdf with tiled 8-1/2 x 11 sheets? Looking at the beginning of the thread, I'm only seeing A4.
This is the file for the full drawing : https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...6&d=1334660760

You can print it tiled like this : when you open the file on Adobe reader you should see " + " and " - " buttons at the top . Click on the + button until you get 100% . Then when you go to print , on your printer's set up page , select " poster " , " cut marks " and "print labels ".
May 16, 2016, 10:08 PM
Lost at LAX
Old Fart's Avatar
Aha! (Thanks!)

I now have a nice pile of paper to trip tomorrow night and assemble

It's been a while - is 3M77 and stick to the DTFB still the best practice?
May 16, 2016, 11:44 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fart
Aha! (Thanks!)

I now have a nice pile of paper to trip tomorrow night and assemble

It's been a while - is 3M77 and stick to the DTFB still the best practice?
That'll work for making templates .

Are you making your EzFly out of DTFB ? I make the standard size and extended ( 40" ) wingspan EzFlys out of single layer DTFB with the paper peeled off , plenty strong and no moisture ( on the paper ) worries .

I made one just the other day , standard size ( see photo ) . It will loop and barrel roll all day long .
May 17, 2016, 12:47 PM
Lost at LAX
Old Fart's Avatar
What electronics are you running BoC?
May 17, 2016, 01:22 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fart
What electronics are you running BoC?
On that one ^ I have a hexTronik 24 gram 1500kv motor from HobbyKing
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html


a 12A Dynam Detrum ESC from HobbyPartz
http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dye-1014-12a-esc.html


9 gram servos from HobbyPartz
http://www.hobbypartz.com/exi-servo-s1123.html


and a 610mah 3S battery from HobbyKing
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
May 17, 2016, 01:35 PM
Lost at LAX
Old Fart's Avatar
Thanks - I'll put orders in shortly. Probably going to knock together a Blu-Baby at the same time, looking at that thread, I think I can just double my orders

Forgot to ask - what prop are you running ?
May 17, 2016, 01:50 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fart
Thanks - I'll put orders in shortly. Probably going to knock together a Blu-Baby at the same time, looking at that thread, I think I can just double my orders

Forgot to ask - what prop are you running ?
You can get a 12A ESC and 9 gram servos at HobbyKing , so your entire order will be from just one place .

On the plane above ^ I have a 6x4 prop , but the standard size EzFly has room in the prop slot for up to a 7x4 prop .
May 17, 2016, 01:55 PM
Lost at LAX
Old Fart's Avatar
Thanks - I'll add a few props to the order. All of my SF props on hand are bigger than that.

Edit - not finding 6x4 SF props on HK or HP's website - will find elsewhere.
Last edited by Old Fart; May 17, 2016 at 02:12 PM.
May 17, 2016, 02:26 PM
Lost at LAX
Old Fart's Avatar
Parts ordered
May 17, 2016, 04:12 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fart
Thanks - I'll add a few props to the order. All of my SF props on hand are bigger than that.

Edit - not finding 6x4 SF props on HK or HP's website - will find elsewhere.
I used the 6x4 prop 'cause that's what I had layin' around , but you should be OK with a 7" SF prop .

Let us know how it turns out , with photos and video if possible !
May 17, 2016, 05:11 PM
Lost at LAX
Old Fart's Avatar
I have plenty of "normal" APC "E" props in 6x4 as the combat wings use them. Will stop by Dollar Tree on the way home
May 17, 2016, 06:32 PM
Registered User
Okay, here is the scenario: The ExFly I built putters around the sky quite nicely but has far too much down elevator authority and far too little up elevator response. I can do an outside loop like no ones business but I stall out if I try an inside loop.
Tail heavy? Nose heavy? Too much elevator travel?
Last edited by Capt_Kitt; May 17, 2016 at 06:32 PM. Reason: typos!
May 17, 2016, 07:16 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Kitt
Okay, here is the scenario: The ExFly I built putters around the sky quite nicely but has far too much down elevator authority and far too little up elevator response. I can do an outside loop like no ones business but I stall out if I try an inside loop.
Tail heavy? Nose heavy? Too much elevator travel?
An outside loop gets gravity assistance to enter the loop . An inside loop gets gravity resistance to enter the loop . Lose weight , increase power , and max out up elevator travel .

If that doesn't work , get a running start at the loop with a full throttle shallow dive .
May 18, 2016, 01:51 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
An outside loop gets gravity assistance to enter the loop . An inside loop gets gravity resistance to enter the loop . Lose weight , increase power , and max out up elevator travel .

If that doesn't work , get a running start at the loop with a full throttle shallow dive .
It really snaps into a dive with minimal down elevator, like pure nose dive.
Same stuff I have to do with my HZ Champ so I'm thinking that a rebuild is in order, either that or I'm going to build a biplane out of the parts.
May 18, 2016, 11:31 AM
Lost at LAX
Old Fart's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
I used the 6x4 prop 'cause that's what I had layin' around , but you should be OK with a 7" SF prop .

Let us know how it turns out , with photos and video if possible !
Al made me spend a bit of my money yesterday

Ordered motor, ESC, servos at lunch - bought a 6 pack of receivers last night after kids were in bed. Finally convinced my plotter at work that yes, indeed, I DID need the tail of the aircraft on the printout, so have a pair of those in hand.

Will pick up foam tonight on the way home. Depending on how the boy's Little League game goes tomorrow night, may start cutting one out on Saturday

Al - I'm up to page 95 or so in this thread - was your final version with the 24g motor papered or non papered?

Jeff/LAX
May 18, 2016, 12:16 PM
Lost at LAX
Old Fart's Avatar
Hmm, on page 126 or so, Al answered my question:

"I cut out ( of DollarTree Foam ) two of every part , glue the two parts together , then peel the OUTSIDE layers of paper off so there's no exposed paper - but there areTWO layers of paper on the inside for strength . Then I glue or tape the edges so there won't be any delamination . The full length fuselage is double layer , with two nose doublers added to the nose ( one on each side ) , the nose ends up being a total of four layers"

(Even saved the picture Al was nice enough to include)

What's your favorite adhesive for laminating these together Al? - I have most of the glues on hand except Gorilla (it goes bad too quick - need to build MORE)
May 18, 2016, 01:19 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fart
Hmm, on page 126 or so, Al answered my question:

"I cut out ( of DollarTree Foam ) two of every part , glue the two parts together , then peel the OUTSIDE layers of paper off so there's no exposed paper - but there areTWO layers of paper on the inside for strength . Then I glue or tape the edges so there won't be any delamination . The full length fuselage is double layer , with two nose doublers added to the nose ( one on each side ) , the nose ends up being a total of four layers"

(Even saved the picture Al was nice enough to include)

What's your favorite adhesive for laminating these together Al? - I have most of the glues on hand except Gorilla (it goes bad too quick - need to build MORE)
I USED TO ( years ago ) make EzFlys with the paper left on . These days , for a standard size EzFly , I use a single layer DTFB with the paper peeled off . For LARGER than standard size EzFlys , I use double layer DTFB .

I use hot glue for 100% of my scratch built planes .

Here is an EzFly with a 60" wingspan , double layer DTFB with the paper peeled off on the exposed outside .


( slightly ) better video of 60" wingspan EzFly (2 min 32 sec)
May 18, 2016, 01:23 PM
Lost at LAX
Old Fart's Avatar
Outstanding. So just the "normal" 3 layers - easy enough.

I have several glue guns
May 18, 2016, 01:29 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fart
Outstanding. So just the "normal" 3 layers - easy enough.

I have several glue guns
Yes , the nose will be three layers with the nose doublers , the leading edge of the wing will be two layers with the KFm doubler , everything else will be one layer .
May 18, 2016, 03:32 PM
Lost at LAX
Old Fart's Avatar
Thanks. Maybe I'll cut this weekend and assemble on the big table in my conference room. I programmed my F3F birds into the JR9303 there a few years back
May 19, 2016, 11:33 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fart
Thanks. Maybe I'll cut this weekend and assemble on the big table in my conference room. I programmed my F3F birds into the JR9303 there a few years back
When finished , give us a flight report with photos and video if possible !
May 19, 2016, 12:48 PM
Lost at LAX
Old Fart's Avatar
Will do. To gray to fly full scale this weekend anyway, depending on the 6 yr old's Little League games (playoffs), I'll either have a LOT of or NO time this weekend.

Oh, and in reading the whole thread - now I need to plot out a Sumo to play with
May 21, 2016, 01:19 AM
After I got my uncle into flying the next step was to get my dad into it. After his first free flights for a 78 years old he did not bad with a rebuild aileron EZFLY (fixed ailerons) it was time to build him a real fresh RET version. So here is again a depron 6 mm version weighing 266 gram ready to fly. As the velcro battery connection to the fuselage is not my thing I 3D printed a small box which is glued to the fuselage and helding the battery with a simple rubber band. Motormount and control horns also 3D printed :-). My dad helped building and I think he is hooked too now

Paco
May 22, 2016, 05:29 PM
Lost at LAX
Old Fart's Avatar
Well, we won in the playoffs - so back at it next week. All my parts came except the receivers (and I have a half dozen AR600's laying around if need be). Picked up DTFB, set up a table in the shade, made sure the beer was properly chilled. Unrolled my plotted drawings....and.........it's the single line drawings for Terminal 6
May 22, 2016, 10:32 PM
Permanently Banned
Isaac96's Avatar
Paco, I really like the battery box. Maybe you could make the motor mount have some flanges facing forward to get more surface area to glue?
May 23, 2016, 04:27 PM
Isaac, the glue surface is more then sufficient.
More plastic is only extra weigth.

Paco
May 23, 2016, 08:39 PM
Lost at LAX
Old Fart's Avatar
Made some progress this afternoon after work. Took the second copy of the plot, cut the wing out so I can do the center section in one piece. Will have to cut the wingtips off - but now the wing is an exact fit on the DTFB. Might sneak out after dinner and peel the DTFB, will wait to 3M77 the plans to the foam until I can do it all in one shot. Had a bad experience leaving plans glued too long to DTFB when I made the OSG
May 24, 2016, 03:52 PM
Lost at LAX
Old Fart's Avatar
Went back out last night - decided that the wing and fuse plans will be taped to the foam, not glued. Pretty sure I won't be able to spray something that size and get it straight ion the foam without the template going on wrinkled.

I was just getting ready to spray 3M77 and Oscar the Wonderwienerdog went into alert mode, must have heard a velociraptor in the back yard (not likely) or a skunk (neighbors dog just found one - so very likely) - maybe tonight
May 25, 2016, 09:33 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fart
Went back out last night - decided that the wing and fuse plans will be taped to the foam, not glued. Pretty sure I won't be able to spray something that size and get it straight ion the foam without the template going on wrinkled.

I was just getting ready to spray 3M77 and Oscar the Wonderwienerdog went into alert mode, must have heard a velociraptor in the back yard (not likely) or a skunk (neighbors dog just found one - so very likely) - maybe tonight
I just spray glued a whole sheet down last night. What I did was spread the sheet out over the foam, and use some weights on one half. peel the not held down half overtop of the weighted down part, and spray that, then gently just lay it back down and spread evenly. It goes down evenly since the other half is weighted down. Then just re position your weights, and peel up the other side and spray and lay down. Worked excellent for me last night, and that was my first attempt. Good Luck sir.
May 25, 2016, 02:32 PM
Lost at LAX
Old Fart's Avatar
Started taping just the odd shapes down last night, next thing I knew they were all taped down. Will try to cut out tonight
May 27, 2016, 11:29 AM
Lost at LAX
Old Fart's Avatar
Cut most of it last night - had to make an adjustment in the wing slot as I'm using DTFB. Curious as to why the fuse is "slotted" at the rearmost portion of the tail
May 27, 2016, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fart
Cut most of it last night - had to make an adjustment in the wing slot as I'm using DTFB. Curious as to why the fuse is "slotted" at the rearmost portion of the tail
Cause the elevator slides in from the rear.............if it was closed...........!

When done put a piece of foam in.

Paco
May 27, 2016, 01:26 PM
Lost at LAX
Old Fart's Avatar
Why not hinge the elevator to the rear stab, slide in from the side?
May 27, 2016, 03:27 PM
You hinge the elevator to the stabilo first (I use tape) and then slide the whole into the fuselag frontward with the slots glued together making it a perfect fit and the stabilo connect to the center part. Then close the gap.... :-)

Paco
May 27, 2016, 06:29 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
I cut out and assemble my foam pieces like this :

1 . Glue all the horizontal pieces together with spar and dihedral on the wing and the elevator hinged at the rear .

2 . Glue the nose doublers to the vertical fuselage .

3 . Then slide the horizontal pieces into the vertical fuselage and glue in place straight and true .

4 . Hinge the rudder to the vertical fin and rear of vertical fuselage ( on edge of table/workbench ) .

5 . Glue the vertical fin and vertical fuselage rear top part in place .
May 27, 2016, 06:41 PM
Lost at LAX
Old Fart's Avatar
I haven't cut the rear "turtledeck" or vert stab off yet (ran out of SHARP X-Acto blades last night.

I wasn't planning on detaching the rear "deck" from the horizontal stab
I can see that making that rear cut at the back of the rudder will allow the rudder to be fit tight against the rear deck.

Al - where's the cut for the KFm?
May 27, 2016, 07:12 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fart
I haven't cut the rear "turtledeck" or vert stab off yet (ran out of SHARP X-Acto blades last night.

I wasn't planning on detaching the rear "deck" from the horizontal stab
I can see that making that rear cut at the back of the rudder will allow the rudder to be fit tight against the rear deck.

Al - where's the cut for the KFm?
That's just how I do it , but any way that works is good .
Last edited by balsa or carbon; May 27, 2016 at 09:43 PM.
May 27, 2016, 09:06 PM
Lost at LAX
Old Fart's Avatar
Everything cut. Will get all the hot glue guns out (I think between Milady and I we have about 5 of them) a bit later and play with some scrap foam to work on my "technique"


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion 3D Batix Extra 330 Free plans Great plane Ben-Rod 3D Flying 981 Oct 04, 2016 05:50 PM
Discussion Telemaster 400 - Great trainer from free plans! cam777cam Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 13 May 16, 2016 01:29 AM
For Sale Christmas gift,Trainer Hobbico Electristar RTF + Free Gift, Great Value !!! the-cat007 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Dec 11, 2009 12:24 AM
For Sale Christmas gift,Trainer Hobbico Electristar RTF + Free Gift, Great Value !!! the-cat007 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 10 Dec 08, 2009 05:13 PM
Discussion Free Plans for 60" ish plane mt_100 Electric Plane Talk 11 Sep 14, 2009 09:28 AM