Sep 03, 2019, 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreetham
And there are public trout fishing docks
Sea planes......

J
to remove ads between posts
Sep 04, 2019, 07:21 AM
I am a fan of seaplane but not on the White River - current is to fast. But I live on Norfork Lake where I will be flying a seaplane when I'm good enough. I'll build a Polaris XL. Actually I may start on that soon since it is a difficult build.
Sep 04, 2019, 10:04 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
I am a fan of seaplane but not on the White River - current is to fast. But I live on Norfork Lake where I will be flying a seaplane when I'm good enough. I'll build a Polaris XL. Actually I may start on that soon since it is a difficult build.
The Polaris XL is a very nice flying plane , one of my flying buddies built one and I helped him set it up and tune it . The difficulty is going to be transitioning from a self righting plane to a non self righting plane . When you're completely comfortable flying your EzFly , I recommend building a simple delta for non self righting flying practice . A simple delta is ridiculously easy to build , and doesn't have a lot of bits sticking out that can break off in a crash . And a larger simple delta will be more docile than a smaller simple delta . Here is my docile 40" simple delta :

Giant simple delta (2 min 0 sec)
Sep 04, 2019, 08:23 PM
Have you seen this one:
http://brooklynaerodrome.com/

I saw a book about this design in the public library here.

You haven't steered me wrong yet though so I'll probably go for your design.

I also have a BluSail with a 70" span for more practice. Sea planes and sail planes.
Sep 04, 2019, 10:34 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Have you seen this one:
http://brooklynaerodrome.com/

I saw a book about this design in the public library here.

You haven't steered me wrong yet though so I'll probably go for your design.

I also have a BluSail with a 70" span for more practice. Sea planes and sail planes.
Yes , I've seen the Brooklynaerodrome before .... it's also a simple delta .

The idea behind simple deltas is that they are a quick , easy disposable build for non self righting flying practice . If a simple delta airframe is crashed beyond repair , you can quickly and easily and inexpensively build another airframe . If built prop-in-slot , pusher , or elevated motor pod , the electronics are protected and almost always survive crashes ..... and can then be transferred to a new airframe .

You don't even need to make it a delta shape , you can just put electronics on a sheet of dollar store foam with elevons and a vertical fin ...... although it's more difficult to get a proper CG ( CG needs to be set at 20% ) . A simple delta needs the CG set at 40% .

Here is my " flying sheet of dollar store foam board" :

"Literally" just a Flying Sheet of Dollar Tree Foam Board (1 min 13 sec)
Sep 07, 2019, 11:45 AM
I picked up "Leo's RC Simulator" on Google Play. Pretty good free app with good reviews. I think it is on Apple also. They have an aircraft called "Depron 1" and also a Slo Stick. Both of those are on the free download. I think it is better on my 8" tablet than my phone.
Sep 07, 2019, 12:31 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
I picked up "Leo's RC Simulator" on Google Play. Pretty good free app with good reviews. I think it is on Apple also. They have an aircraft called "Depron 1" and also a Slo Stick. Both of those are on the free download. I think it is better on my 8" tablet than my phone.
Cool ! RC sims can be very helpful , but keep practicing real world flying with your EzFly also .

If you want to get a Slow Stick , they are available again : https://alofthobbies.com/slow-stick.html
A SlowStick can be a GREAT flyer with a couple of tweaks :

1) The Slow Stick has a LOT of positive wing incidence , so put 3 of down thrust on the motor/prop .... or use a motor that has barely enough power to fly the plane .

2) Secure the servo tray so it can't move forward/backward on the fuselage stick . If you don't do that , the rudder & elevator will be constantly out of trim .
Sep 08, 2019, 08:40 AM
You deserve my opinion
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
Cool ! RC sims can be very helpful , but keep practicing real world flying with your EzFly also .

If you want to get a Slow Stick , they are available again : https://alofthobbies.com/slow-stick.html
A SlowStick can be a GREAT flyer with a couple of tweaks :

1) The Slow Stick has a LOT of positive wing incidence , so put 3 of down thrust on the motor/prop .... or use a motor that has barely enough power to fly the plane .

2) Secure the servo tray so it can't move forward/backward on the fuselage stick . If you don't do that , the rudder & elevator will be constantly out of trim .
Thanks for the link to the Slow Stick. I just ordered it! I always thought I'd enjoy this plane, but never got around to ordering one. When I finally started looking, well...you know...they were gone. So happy to know it's back in production. Do have any suggestions on the power set-up? I'd love to keep it light and slow. It doesn't need to hover!

By the way, I continue to follow this excellent thread. I've built five or six of your wonderful planes. Several have gone to new or inexperienced flyers. To the degree that I'm aware of what's out there, I think the EzFly is the best trainer available, bar none. And you do an amazing job of graciously guiding us in our builds. Thanks you!
Sep 08, 2019, 02:19 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstShirt
Thanks for the link to the Slow Stick. I just ordered it! I always thought I'd enjoy this plane, but never got around to ordering one. When I finally started looking, well...you know...they were gone. So happy to know it's back in production. Do have any suggestions on the power set-up? I'd love to keep it light and slow. It doesn't need to hover!

By the way, I continue to follow this excellent thread. I've built five or six of your wonderful planes. Several have gone to new or inexperienced flyers. To the degree that I'm aware of what's out there, I think the EzFly is the best trainer available, bar none. And you do an amazing job of graciously guiding us in our builds. Thanks you!
If you order all your electronics from HobbyKing , I recommend this motor : https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hextroni...er-1500kv.html you could get the 3 of down thrust by adding two or three washers ( as shims ) under the top of the metal motor mount where it attaches to the plastic motor mount , and one or two washers under the left/right side of the metal motor mount . You may also want to add a shim to the left side for some right thrust . Be sure to add some thread lock to the set screws ( grub screws ) holding the motor to the metal motor mount . Mount the plastic stick motor mount to the top of the fuselage stick , not the bottom . A 1000mAh - 1300mAh 3S battery all the way in the front will keep it light and get you a good CG , you adjust the CG by moving the wing forward/rearward .

I'm not the designer of the EzFly ( Motorhead is ) , but I do enjoy helping people ( especially beginners ) achieve successful flight with an EzFly ...... so I post in this thread often .
Sep 09, 2019, 12:48 PM
You deserve my opinion
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
If you order all your electronics from HobbyKing , I recommend this motor : https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hextroni...er-1500kv.html you could get the 3 of down thrust by adding two or three washers ( as shims ) under the top of the metal motor mount where it attaches to the plastic motor mount , and one or two washers under the left/right side of the metal motor mount . You may also want to add a shim to the left side for some right thrust . Be sure to add some thread lock to the set screws ( grub screws ) holding the motor to the metal motor mount . Mount the plastic stick motor mount to the top of the fuselage stick , not the bottom . A 1000mAh - 1300mAh 3S battery all the way in the front will keep it light and get you a good CG , you adjust the CG by moving the wing forward/rearward .

I'm not the designer of the EzFly ( Motorhead is ) , but I do enjoy helping people ( especially beginners ) achieve successful flight with an EzFly ...... so I post in this thread often .
Sounds great. I actually have that motor on hand. Appreciate the help!
Sep 09, 2019, 01:14 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstShirt
Sounds great. I actually have that motor on hand. Appreciate the help!
Let us know how your SlowStick turns out , with flying video if possible !
Don't forget the very important tip : secure the servo tray so it can't move forward/rearward on the fuselage stick .
Sep 11, 2019, 12:16 PM
I had lots of successful flights this morning - 2 batteries worth. Even though I hit the car once on landing. It seems to be porpoising and tending a tiny bit left even though I put a tiny bit a right rudder. When I throttle back to about 1/2 it does much steadier. The new control horns which cut down the movement work great. I have to move the stick about 1/2 way to get a gentle turn.

So for a pusher to get some down thrust, I put a washer under the 2 lower screws and an additional one to give some right thrust. Correct?

Thanks again for all the help.
Sep 11, 2019, 12:39 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
I had lots of successful flights this morning - 2 batteries worth. Even though I hit the car once on landing. It seems to be porpoising and tending a tiny bit left even though I put a tiny bit a right rudder. When I throttle back to about 1/2 it does much steadier. The new control horns which cut down the movement work great. I have to move the stick about 1/2 way to get a gentle turn.

So for a pusher to get some down thrust, I put a washer under the 2 lower screws and an additional one to give some right thrust. Correct?

Tune it to fly straight & level at 1/2 throttle . At full throttle , slight turning is normal .... due to increased motor torque . Also at full throttle , climbing is normal .... due to increased lift on the wings . If it is porpoising , move the battery forward a tiny bit .... but first make sure the elevator trim is not slightly up .

Adding down thrust or right thrust doesn't really work on an EzFly due to the limitations of the prop slots . And the motor is too close to the CG for down thrust or right thrust to have any effect ( very short leverage arm ) . On a plane with the motor/prop on the nose ( further away from the CG ) , down thrust & right thrust have much more effect ( longer leverage arm ) .
Sep 11, 2019, 12:39 PM
Sokol
Quote:

put the washers on the upper mount screws , so that the motor shaft points slightly downwards.

Quick Reply