Jan 08, 2019, 09:24 PM
Don't some PC sims support a 1/8" headphone jack type cable into the sound card? I read that somewhere else on here.

That the official Spektrum trainer cable is just a mono 1/8" jack.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 08, 2019, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonrohrer
Here are some pictures.
I am questioning the prop. Is this a reverse rotation prop? Currently it is mounted as a standard rotation which it might be, but doesn't seem to fit your prop saver right. It looks like if it was mounted the other direction you would have more space for the prop in the slot. Regardless do yourself a favor and get an APC prop in same size.
Jan 08, 2019, 09:53 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
If you look close you can see four nubs sticking up on the right side of a blade which I think is the profile view of the size numbers. Numbers facing fwd = prop mounted correct.
Jan 08, 2019, 09:58 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Don't some PC sims support a 1/8" headphone jack type cable into the sound card? I read that somewhere else on here.

That the official Spektrum trainer cable is just a mono 1/8" jack.
The dongle lets you connect to a PC wirelessly , so nobody will trip over the wire if the PC/large-screen-TV are across the room .
Jan 09, 2019, 04:20 PM
Yes, I definitely have the numbers on the prop facing forward.

I can also tell by the shape of the prop and the way it's turning.
Jan 10, 2019, 02:53 AM
Mark Harrison
Quote:
I bought the official FancyFoam kit and all the official parts and built it exactly like the instructions:

http://fancyfoam-com.3dcartstores.co...Kit_p_105.html

Standard kit (not aileron). All checkboxes except transmitter and charger. Landing gear was out of stock.

So that's a 31 inch wingspan.

Looks exactly like the pictures, but I'll post a picture here.

Also, I'm now seeing that the picture shows a 3s battery about 5 inches back from the tip of the nose. The instructions suggested putting it way forward, almost at the front (and that's what I had to do to get the CG 3.5 inches from the front of the wing, as instructed).

But maybe moving the CG back would help it fly slower?
Your build looks good! Don't move the CG back, that will make it unstable.

I've got a 3S 500mah on mine, coz I have a whole boxful. I never fly it at more than 50-60% throttle. I think a 2S would cut some weight, and also eliminate any problems with overthrottle.

Just my 2 cents, good luck!
Jan 10, 2019, 10:22 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
l
Quote:
Also, I'm now seeing that the picture shows a 3s battery about 5 inches back from the tip of the nose. The instructions suggested putting it way forward, almost at the front (and that's what I had to do to get the CG 3.5 inches from the front of the wing, as instructed).

But maybe moving the CG back would help it fly slower?
Moving the CG back may very well enable it to fly slower...but at the loss of stability, so it will be harder to control.

The primary influence on slow airspeed is wing loading. So you need bigger wings, or less weight. Obviously the easy way to fly slower is to change to a slower plane, like the UMX Radian.

A handy way to experiment with CG is take a handful of nickles and a roll of masking tape and attach one or more temporarily to one end of the plane and try it. Start small and work up. Once you find your favorite CG, mark it, remove the nickles and rearrange the battery to get back to that point.
Jan 12, 2019, 12:09 AM
I've got the kids in the other room on FMS right now (with the DX6 through the sound card using SmartPropoPlus). They're having a great time.

We found a ParkShark and Frog model that are kinda similar to the EzFly.... but they are generally pretty sluggish.

Anyone know of a FMS model that would be closer to the stock-kit EzFly running on 3S lipo?

Or any quick tips on how to tweak an FMS model to make it faster?
Jan 12, 2019, 11:38 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
I use RealFlight and don't know how similar FMS is. But RF has a Physics area where you can go in and modify (or build) in any way you want. I usually use it to slow planes down when I'm trying to master a tricky 3D maneuver that is coming hard.
Jan 13, 2019, 01:48 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Quote:

Or any quick tips on how to tweak an FMS model to make it faster?
My FMS models are located here on my computer:
C:\Program Files (x86)\FMS\Model

So for example, I have a folder "mini3d" for the mini3d model.
Typically, the .par file has the parameters. For my mini3d model, this is the file
"mini3d\mini3d.par"

To tweak a model, I would make a copy of the folder (and contents) and rename the folder copy to something like "mini3d-mod",
so I would edit a copy and not the original.
Then edit the file "mini3d-mod\mini3d.par":
to make it faster, I might lower the mass.
For the mini3d faster for example, I might change the "0.3" in the line

"0.3 19:m(Kg) Mass"

to a lower value, like 0.2.

Or another thing that I might do is increase the maximum thrust by changing the "5" in the line

"5 2:Tmax(N) Maximum Thrust"

to a higher value.

I have noticed that some of the ".par" files have the parameter names in German.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by flying-llama; Jan 13, 2019 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Some files have parameter names in German.

Quick Reply