EzFly free plans for great trainer plane - Page 163 - RC Groups
Oct 12, 2017, 08:46 PM
kicka911
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
Yes. I'll have to order some of those.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 14, 2017, 01:53 AM
my EzFly! only left is fixing the electronics. I used 5mm depron boards scaled down to 90%, I really like the way it looks!

hope I don't crash this one like the one in my other post. Thanks BoC for recommending this one.
Oct 14, 2017, 04:27 AM
Here is a video of my 26" 8mm EPP EZfly's maiden flight..
flown indoors its moderately slow when cruising , boring as it should be for a trainer, and very noisy..
Using an 1811-2900 and 6x3 prop on a 750 2s lipo it goes on for about 20 mins between various bumps ..
NOTE I must try to recut the slot shape for less noise..
the noise is because of the higher revs needed for a cruise flight on this porky version..
Also note that with 8mm EPP used, its very tough and less likely to warp..
The other warped EZ fly is my old one.. it still flies fine as the wing warps are quite evenly matched...lol...
Made from 5mm EPP it is quieter needing less power to cruise..
Either way they are great trainers..
At full power my version screams and goes round very quickly..
EZfly 12 10 17 (7 min 16 sec)
Last edited by davereap; Oct 14, 2017 at 04:37 AM.
Oct 15, 2017, 09:28 AM
Hot glue held together by foam
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfive
my EzFly! only left is fixing the electronics. I used 5mm depron boards scaled down to 90%, I really like the way it looks!

hope I don't crash this one like the one in my other post. Thanks BoC for recommending this one.
Your EzFly looks good , but it's missing the top ( rear) part of the fuselage . Go ahead and put that piece on , since it adds strength to the tail .

Make sure your prop is on facing the front of the plane ( since the motor is facing backwards ) , the rudder servo is on the aileron channel , and start with low rates & some expo .

If you build another airframe , leave off the tape covering ...... it only adds unnecessary ( and undesirable ) weight .

If possible , video please !
Oct 16, 2017, 06:22 PM
Thanks BoC! I have added the missing parts and all the electronics as well. Maybe ill attach some pics at night. The foam that i'm using is very brittle and if i don't tape on it snaps off easily when flexing.

Quote:
Make sure your prop is on facing the front of the plane ( since the motor is facing backwards )
Letters on the prop are facing backwards in mine but plane moves forward when props are spinning. So does it really matter the direction the props are facing?
Oct 16, 2017, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Thanks BoC! I have added the missing parts and all the electronics as well. Maybe ill attach some pics at night. The foam that i'm using is very brittle and if i don't tape on it snaps off easily when flexing.

Letters on the prop are facing backwards in mine but plane moves forward when props are spinning. So does it really matter the direction the props are facing?
The advice I'm giving you is to try to help you achieve successful RC flight .

Your current EzFly already has tape on it , but ...... if you build ANOTHER EzFly , try it without the tape ( or anything else that unnecessarily adds weight ) . I have built dozens of EzFlys and experimented with different foams , coverings , etc. ........ the BEST flying EzFlys ( especially for beginners ) are the ones built with LIGHT WING LOADING . And they are also more crash resistant because (1) they fly better/slower and are therefore less LIKELY to crash , and (2) if they DO crash , the damage ( if any ) is kept to a minimum because they hit the ground slower and with less weight ( momentum ) .

Yes , the prop ABSOLUTELY has to face the front of the plane . A backwards prop will give you some thrust , but it may not be enough to fly your plane .
Oct 16, 2017, 10:34 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Quote:
The advice I'm giving you is to try to help you achieve successful RC flight .

No good deed goes unquestioned ....
Oct 17, 2017, 07:00 PM
hey BoC and others here is a video! :-/

EzFly maiden crash (0 min 6 sec)

What happened there? it flies pretty fast.
Oct 17, 2017, 08:25 PM
Quote:
hey BoC and others here is a video! :-/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReWziFBVScs

What happened there? it flies pretty fast.
Heavier wing loading = higher stall speed = faster flying .

Lighter wing loading = lower stall speed = slower flying .

Did it survive the crash ? If so , trim the rudder a little bit to the left and try it again ..... with JUST enough throttle to keep it in the air .

If it didn't survive the crash , build the next one LIGHTWEIGHT with a longer wingspan .
Oct 17, 2017, 08:37 PM
It looked like your rudder didn't respond properly ...... were your rudder/elevator set up like this ?

Servo testing (0 min 15 sec)
Oct 17, 2017, 08:53 PM
Nose is broken to 2 or 3 parts but i should be able to fix it with enough hot glue.

Hmm yeah it seems rolling to right. i'll try the rudder bit to left and also i'll try mountng the battery on the left (currently batt is on top of the centre line of the nose).

With this power setup, electronics itself weigh about 160 grams as follows:

htx 1700kv motor - 24g
batt 3s 1000mah - 85g
esc - 20g
Rx - 13g
2*servo - 18g.

I tried this online tool to calculate the wing loading - http://www.flyrc.com/wing-load-calculator/ - based on my current specs, wing loading is 6.35. If I go with the 100% scale model, its wing loading would be around 6.16 ( wing areas is 262 sq.in and assuming new weight is 320g). So it's not that much of a difference as it's nowhere near 4...? Il have to buy at least a new battery and servors if im going to build a lightweight one, but i don't wanna keep spending money on buying things.

What if i put 100% scale wings onto this one? I would get more wing area, would that work?
Oct 17, 2017, 08:56 PM
Quote:
It looked like your rudder didn't respond properly ...... were your rudder/elevator set up like this ?
Yes it's setup like that. Thanks BoC for helping me so far. Please stay with me till i make circles with this one!
Oct 17, 2017, 09:02 PM
Quote:
Yes it's setup like that. Thanks BoC for helping me so far. Please stay with me till i make circles with this one!
Will do !
Oct 17, 2017, 09:13 PM
Quote:
Nose is broken to 2 or 3 parts but i should be able to fix it with enough hot glue.

Hmm yeah it seems rolling to right. i'll try the rudder bit to left and also i'll try mountng the battery on the left (currently batt is on top of the centre line of the nose).

With this power setup, electronics itself weigh about 160 grams as follows:

htx 1700kv motor - 24g
batt 3s 1000mah - 85g
esc - 20g
Rx - 13g
2*servo - 18g.

I tried this online tool to calculate the wing loading - http://www.flyrc.com/wing-load-calculator/ - based on my current specs, wing loading is 6.35. If I go with the 100% scale model, its wing loading would be around 6.16 ( wing areas is 262 sq.in and assuming new weight is 320g). So it's not that much of a difference as it's nowhere near 4...? Il have to buy at least a new battery and servors if im going to build a lightweight one, but i don't wanna keep spending money on buying things.

What if i put 100% scale wings onto this one? I would get more wing area, would that work?
You can't easily change the chord ( front to back measurement ) of the wing , but you CAN increase the wing span ( wingtip to wingtip measurement ) ..... and that will give you lighter wing loading & slower flight . You can probably go up to about 90cm - 100cm wing span ..... more than that may negatively affect the flying characteristics .
Oct 17, 2017, 10:11 PM
Quote:
You can probably go up to about 90cm - 100cm wing span..
Did you mean that numbers with the 100% scale or for my model which is of 90% scale? That sounds like a good thing to try if I can't get this thing flying with current setup.