EzFly free plans for great trainer plane - Page 158 - RC Groups
Apr 24, 2017, 08:11 AM
I'm pretty sure you don't need that much layers if you add a carbon spar (or fiberglass or wood dowel) in the wing and maybe in the fuselage too. I'm in the process of building one original size made with flite test foamboards. Im only using 3 layers for the nose, wings doubler and one layer for the rest.
the plan can be easily modified you only have to adjust the thickness of the wing and wing doubler (you can see it on my plan, i did split the wing slot in half as I'm using 4.5mm foamboards). you can also enlarge the prop slot to use a larger propeller.
For the motor i would go with the higher KV , It will use a smaller propeller.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 24, 2017, 08:29 AM
Hot glue held together by foam
Quote:
Originally Posted by jivago
I like to build one EZFLY for training but I have : 2216/1100 or 1400kv (76 gr) . Lipo bat 2200mah(175gr) Servo 12gr. So may I question: how many inches of wings span that suitable for electronic parts above? What prop for this motor? I decide to build by 5 mm depron so may I laminated 6 layer for fuselage , 4 layer for wings and vertical stabilizer? Welcome all answers!
I have built an EzFly that uses a 2200mah 3S battery . I scaled the fuselage ( and wing CHORD ) up to about 150% , and the wing SPAN up to about 200% . I used foam about 10mm thick , with a cheap arrow shaft for the wing spar .

( slightly ) better video of 60" wingspan EzFly (2 min 32 sec)
Apr 24, 2017, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wessone
I'm pretty sure you don't need that much layers if you add a carbon spar (or fiberglass or wood dowel) in the wing and maybe in the fuselage too. I'm in the process of building one original size made with flite test foamboards. Im only using 3 layers for the nose, wings doubler and one layer for the rest.
the plan can be easily modified you only have to adjust the thickness of the wing and wing doubler (you can see it on my plan, i did split the wing slot in half as I'm using 4.5mm foamboards). you can also enlarge the prop slot to use a larger propeller.
For the motor i would go with the higher KV , It will use a smaller propeller.
Thanks for your advice. My foam is depron 5mm and it's seem weaker than your foam! Notice I use 2200 mah battery (175g) with motor 76gr so I have to scale up the plan! And when scale up, reinforcement is necessary!
Apr 24, 2017, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
I have built an EzFly that uses a 2200mah 3S battery . I scaled the fuselage ( and wing CHORD ) up to about 150% , and the wing SPAN up to about 200% . I used foam about 10mm thick , with a cheap arrow shaft for the wing spar .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1byiR_7hCU
Balsa or carbon: Thank you so much! I've read all of your post about this EZ in several threat. ( I search in forum!) At last I decide to build a scale up like yours!
Apr 24, 2017, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Balsa or carbon: Thank you so much! I've read all of your post about this EZ in several threat. ( I search in forum!) At last I decide to build a scale up like yours!
Let us know how it turns out , with video if possible !
Apr 24, 2017, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
Your airframe looks great !

A few hints for that first flight - if your airframe is straight and true , your CG balance is where it should be , and your rudder and elevator are in the neutral position , it will fly .

1 . " BE 100 % SURE " that your control surfaces are moving in the right direction , and start with low rates and a little expo .

2 . Don't try to fly high or fast at first - maybe 2 or 3 meters high at no more than half throttle . Hold it underneath right behind the prop slot and toss it STRAIGHT AHEAD ( NOT UP ) with the wings level .

3 . If it pulls to the right or left ( at half throttle ) , land it and adjust the rudder trim until it flies straight at half throttle .

4 . If it noses down ( at half throttle ) , land it and move your battery back until it will fly straight ahead at half throttle . Do not adjust elevator trim if the elevator is in the neutral position .

5 . If it noses up ( at half throttle ) , land it and move the battery forward until it flies straight ahead at half throttle . Do not adjust elevator trim if the elevator is in the neutral position . If it still noses up ( at half throttle ) with the battery all the way forward , get a heavier battery or add a little weight to the nose .

Once you have the rudder trimmed and the CG adjusted , then try to fly higher and farther . The EzFly should climb with increased throttle and descend with reduced throttle . Don't completely shut down the throttle while it's in the air because it will nose down quite a bit - EzFlys do not glide well with no power . Also , it may turn slightly with increased throttle due to motor torque twisting the plane in the opposite direction of the prop rotation . Keep the turns mild at first ( as little banking as possible ) - the more a plane banks the more the wings lose lift and the plane will spiral down .

It's best if you try the first flights in a LARGE , OPEN AREA with no trees , poles , buildings , etc. on a day with no wind . If possible , fly over a field with tall grass to cushion the landings .

If you can get an experienced RC pilot to help you with the first flight , that will be the easiest .

Al
Thanks again Al.
Apr 24, 2017, 09:21 PM
Hi BOC
You use 10mm foam that's means you laminated 2 layer of kFm wing, 3 layer fuselage and 1 layer for the rest? How many oz AUW of your 60" wing span with lipo 3S 2200mah?
Apr 25, 2017, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Hi BOC
You use 10mm foam that's means you laminated 2 layer of kFm wing, 3 layer fuselage and 1 layer for the rest? How many oz AUW of your 60" wing span with lipo 3S 2200mah?
Yes to first question .

AUW with a 2200mah 3S is 670 grams , or about 24 oz .
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Apr 25, 2017 at 02:52 PM.
Apr 27, 2017, 03:03 AM

Number6

I built my uncle an Ezlfy for his birthday a year ago.
After what he said 50 hours of flying it was not flying anymore due to tape and wood repairs and broken carbon wing spar.
So he was ready for a fresh one.

3D printed batterybox for 3S 1000 Zippy.
Ready to fly 299 grams.

Paco
Apr 27, 2017, 07:53 AM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
Nice touch on the battery box!
Apr 28, 2017, 10:14 PM
Permanently Banned
The battery box looks great. Do you have the design file?
You might want to put the battery on the other side to balance out better.
Apr 29, 2017, 09:09 AM
I have a .stl file if you need it. It was specially designed for 3s 1000 mAh Zippy from hobby king.
EZ fly is not critical for that weigth balance.

Paco
Apr 29, 2017, 09:44 PM
Permanently Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupaCreations
EZ fly is not critical for that weigth balance.

Paco
Absolutely. I have no neet for the file at the moment, but thanks
Apr 30, 2017, 02:07 AM
BTW if someone need any 3D part designed for this plane let me know ;-)
May 18, 2017, 08:52 PM
You deserve my opinion

Ez #3

I've put several flights on my third EZ (one bipe and two "standard" models with a 40" ws.) I can't tell you how much I like these as trainers.

I have a Spectrum Tx. I was so enthused with the slow and stable flight of the EZ that I purchased a second (used) Spectrum radio. I was able to link the two radios wirelessly. (One for an instructor; one for a student.) A friend helped me set up the student Tx so that it's much more suitable for a student pilot. (Hard to over-control.) Can't wait to put my grandson on Tx #2 and see how he does. Thanks again for a great trainer!

Question. I have tried to tile-print the EZ P-51 using Adobe. It prints out with lines that are thin and faint. Any tricks I'm missing or do I need to take it to an office supply and have it printed on large format paper? Thanks.