May 22, 2014, 04:48 PM
crash expert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iguano
Thank you.

Im off to my local piano store at lunchtime!
to remove ads between posts
May 22, 2014, 04:51 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixx
what gauge Music wire do you use?
It's different depending on the control horns/servo arms . I use the gauge that fits in the control horn hole ( or servo arm hole ) snugly .

If you don't have silicone fuel tube , another way to attach the L bend wire to a pushrod is with a piece of rubber band and zip ties .

And for light duty control horns you can make them out of popsicle sticks .

Al
May 22, 2014, 04:53 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtofoam
Brilliant Al, thanks.

My grandson's birthday is on Monday, so hope to finish plane this weekend. Will let you know how first flight goes.

John
Video if possible !
May 22, 2014, 08:54 PM
Stoyan Zhekov
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
Here is how I do pushrods on slow flyer foamies .
Al, thank you very much for the helpful pictures. Have a question: how you make a holes in the rubber band for the L bend? Always when I'm trying this mount, a have difficulties making the holes in the middle of the rubber band (it is too flexible).
May 22, 2014, 09:30 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhesto
Al, thank you very much for the helpful pictures. Have a question: how you make a holes in the rubber band for the L bend? Always when I'm trying this mount, a have difficulties making the holes in the middle of the rubber band (it is too flexible).
I just poke a hole with the music wire .
May 23, 2014, 02:57 AM
crash expert
I have the foam to make one of these;
Before I remove the paper, do you reocmmend removing paper from one side, or both?
I have made up stencils so me kids at school can make em

Also is it worth profiling the leading edge of the wing, as a 20mm thick leading edge is pretty boxy IMO,
or am I over thinking stuff (a bad habit I have)
Last edited by felixx; May 23, 2014 at 06:22 PM. Reason: my unedited post was pointless!
May 24, 2014, 12:49 AM
Mark Harrison
Quote:
I have the foam to make one of these;
Before I remove the paper, do you reocmmend removing paper from one side, or both?
I have made up stencils so me kids at school can make em
I generally remove the paper, as it's nearly half the weight of the foam, and (at least how I fly!) it starts to peel when I get it wet in dewy grass. I would be interested in what other people think.

Quote:
Also is it worth profiling the leading edge of the wing, as a 20mm thick leading edge is pretty boxy IMO,
or am I over thinking stuff (a bad habit I have)
Overthinking or not, it's a good idea. Look at post 1 of this thread, and you can see motorhead is recommending this. I did it and it helped.

It's a great flyer for kids... sweet and smooth, and if they don't yank the sticks like crazy easy to control. Build it as light as possible for that floaty feel.

Good Luck!
May 24, 2014, 11:24 AM
Getting pretty near now. Just trying to set the movement (is it called 'throw'?) on the elevator and rudder.

In the build instructions there are two relevant passages:

"Program your radio and adjust push rods for +/- 1/4" elevator and +/- 1/2" rudder"

Then under Flight se-up:
"Set up your controls for +/- 1/2" on the elevator and +/- 1" on the rudder".

So, for example with the elevator, do I set everything so that the trailing edge moves 1/2" and 1/2" down from the zero/level position?

Slightly confused!!
May 24, 2014, 12:18 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Getting pretty near now. Just trying to set the movement (is it called 'throw'?) on the elevator and rudder.

In the build instructions there are two relevant passages:

"Program your radio and adjust push rods for +/- 1/4" elevator and +/- 1/2" rudder"

Then under Flight se-up:
"Set up your controls for +/- 1/2" on the elevator and +/- 1" on the rudder".

So, for example with the elevator, do I set everything so that the trailing edge moves 1/2" and 1/2" down from the zero/level position?

Slightly confused!!
If your radio can do high/low rates , set up low rates for +/- 1/4" elevator and +/- 1/2" rudder , and about 60% expo - that will make it easier to fly at first . Then set up high rates for +/- 1/2" on the elevator and +/- 1" on the rudder so you can do stunts later on . Yes , that's measured at the trailing edge from the neutral position .

Al
May 24, 2014, 03:58 PM
We're going to use the Tamco 6 channel transmitter that my grandson has for his rc yacht. From memory, I don't think it has dual rates and expo function but will check when I get over there. If not, we can just set it up on +/- 1/4" elevator and +/- 1/2" rudder.

I've tried a preliminary setup with an old 25Mhz transmitter and receiver from a rc car, and to get +/-1" on the rudder, I think we would either need a very short rudder control horn or need to extend the servo arm on the little Hextronic servo. The longest arm that came with it is about 1/2", and as it moves through its 90° arc, it travels less than 1" (I suppose it must be 3/4"- 2×1/2"×pi/4).

Anyway, that's for the future, we'll just get flying on the shorter settings first.

Thanks again

John
May 24, 2014, 05:17 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
We're going to use the Tamco 6 channel transmitter that my grandson has for his rc yacht. From memory, I don't think it has dual rates and expo function but will check when I get over there. If not, we can just set it up on +/- 1/4" elevator and +/- 1/2" rudder.

I've tried a preliminary setup with an old 25Mhz transmitter and receiver from a rc car, and to get +/-1" on the rudder, I think we would either need a very short rudder control horn or need to extend the servo arm on the little Hextronic servo. The longest arm that came with it is about 1/2", and as it moves through its 90° arc, it travels less than 1" (I suppose it must be 3/4"- 2×1/2"×pi/4).

Anyway, that's for the future, we'll just get flying on the shorter settings first.

Thanks again

John
The shorter settings should be fine . The EzFly doesn't need a lot of control surface travel for just easy cruising around .

Al
May 25, 2014, 11:36 AM
OK, ready to go (sorry about poor quality picture).

Finished, it weighs in at a massive 9.5 oz., so I hope it flies! Glad I increased the wingspan to 36" now.

Strangely, I had to have the battery quite far back to get the plane balanced on its CoG. It's just balancing on two points in the photo.

I suppose I could take the wheels off if it's just TOO heavy.

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

John
Last edited by newtofoam; May 25, 2014 at 12:34 PM.
May 25, 2014, 12:43 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
OK, ready to go (sorry about poor quality picture).

Finished, it weighs in at a massive 9.5 oz., so I hope it flies! Glad I increased the wingspan to 36" now.

Strangely, I had to have the battery quite far back to get the plane balanced on its CoG. It's just balancing on two points in the photo.

I suppose I could take the wheels off if it's just TOO heavy.

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

John
Hey John , I can't see the picture . If you used " manage attachments " , after up- loading the picture you have to click on " save " before exiting the " manage attachments " page .

For using an EzFly to learn flying for the first time , I recommend keeping it as lightweight as possible , so I would take the landing gear off . It's best to fly over tall grass at first , so you won't need landing gear anyway . Also for the first flights I recommend a field with LOTS of room and no wind .

Al
May 25, 2014, 12:44 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
OK , just saw the picture - looks GOOD !

Al
May 25, 2014, 02:07 PM
8.8oz without landing gear, so nearly 10%weight loss. I've changed the prop to 7x6, too. Let's hope for a calm day tomorrow.

Incidentally, I forgot to get one of those lipo charging bags. How serious is the risk of fire/explosion? At the moment, all I've got is the basic Turnigy charger, which is supposed to stop charging when battery is full.

Quick Reply