Jan 13, 2010, 04:32 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

EzFly free plans for great trainer plane

My daughter started to show some interest in flying with me so I decided that sh needed a plane that would not let her fail.

My requirements were:
Durable
Easily fixed
pusher to protect the motor
Darn near fly it self
Cute, she is a girl so it has to be cute.

What I came up with is the easy fly dragon and it flys great. It is rudder, elevator control but I have the ailerons mixed in so she can turn with either stick. With a little up elevator trim and shallow turns you do not even have to hold up elevator. To take off just advance the throttle and it will lift off on its own. It is still fun to fly as it will loop and barrel roll.
Correct CG is between 3.5" and 4" from the leading edge.

While I was drafting it up I went ahead and made a boy version in the form of a WWII bomber. It would be easy to put a couple of military stickers on it after painting grey along with some nose art printed on paper and glued on.
Thanks to Mikebergy for converting it to PDF for me.
Mike
EzFly Dragon.wmv (2 min 56 sec)

The R3 pdf is the latest and includes an extended nose and the motor moved forward to help with the CG.

The plans below are provided for those who want to build their own. No one has permission to produce kits for sale as they are available at www.fancyfoam.com

Ez control horn assembly
Ez Control Horn assembly (3 min 45 sec)

I have linked the post showing the aileron setup. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1349

I put together a video on the installation of landing gear on an EzFly.
EzFly landing gear (9 min 40 sec)

For those of you that want to learn to fly but are not interested in building a kit, we have the EzFly ARF. It is 99% pre-assembled. All you have to do is glue the wing in place, charge the battery and then go fly.
EzFly ARF
Last edited by motorhead; Dec 08, 2021 at 07:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 13, 2010, 11:54 PM
I Love My Ember!
When I saw the plans, I was stoked! Very cool and well thought out trainer, and NOT ugly. And a good flier to boot!
Jan 16, 2010, 08:14 PM
old foamie
I saw your plans and downloaded the EzFly's type, and if you look at it for a while ,you could make a profile American WW-2 troop glider or a German gigant glider by altering some of the outline and using paint for effect. What do you think?
Jan 16, 2010, 10:31 PM
Thread OP
I think that you need to take a picture when you are done as it should look real cool. I will be building a regular EzFly "Bomber" before one of the next flyins and then have a drawing for any kids there under 15 as a give away. I will post pictures when I am done. I am thinking of using this for the nose art.
Mike
Feb 10, 2010, 08:37 AM
old foamie
I like your noseart, did you start on your "bomber" yet ?
Feb 10, 2010, 10:39 AM
Thread OP
Not yet. I kind of forgot to build it. I guess I need to get it done.
Mike
Feb 10, 2010, 07:23 PM
I Love My Ember!
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead
Not yet. I kind of forgot to build it. I guess I need to get it done.
Mike
LoL, I might build one before you... My dad is in need of a trainer, and the dragon just wasn't his style.
Feb 12, 2010, 06:59 PM
old foamie
I think this design has a lot going for it . I'm not much into wild and fast models so when anything that comes along for slow and floaty I take notice.
Feb 12, 2010, 09:56 PM
When pigs fly rc
mike
nice plane this may be just what i need to get my daughter flying. rich
Feb 12, 2010, 10:01 PM
Thread OP
My daughter has been flying hers and enjoys it. She was flying it in the field behind our house and it took quite a beating. Che tore off the front 2" of the nose with 3 hard crashes. A little hot glue and it looks good again.
Mike
Feb 13, 2010, 11:51 PM
old foamie
Its good to know that it can take a little thumping around and keep on flyin.
Feb 15, 2010, 05:03 PM
I Love My Ember!
Printed the plans for the bomber one. I'm gonna paint one up for my dad, Adreher-Style
Feb 16, 2010, 09:48 PM
I Love My Ember!
Hey Mike,

Where is your CG location at? I could figure it out, but I'm too lazy I'd also like to not have the battery way out in front if it's not necessary...
Feb 16, 2010, 11:59 PM
Thread OP
I will post tomorrow when I get home from work. Any pictures yet?
Mike
Feb 17, 2010, 12:09 AM
I Love My Ember!
Not yet. My dad and I are in the planning stages of the build. He is new to RC - I am trying to get him into it as he prepares to retire in a few years, and this is going to be his official first trainer. I built him a BBCub, but ended up flying it more myself before it had an untimely elevator servo linkage failure...(oops! my bad). I will be keeping a log of the build as it goes. I am hoping we will have time to get the parts cut tomorrow. I'll take pictures and post them as we go.

Quick Reply