Lumenier RB2205C-12 2400KV SKITZO Ceramic Bearing Motor
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by mcg, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 05:40 AM
7up is offline
7up
Find More Posts by 7up
7up
,ɯǝ ʇoƃ ɐʎ ɟı ,ɯǝ ǝʞoɯs
7up's Avatar
Sketchup
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2010, 02:18 PM
ptxman is offline
Find More Posts by ptxman
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by raceachevy View Post
Here are a few of my past projects in Lightwave v9.5.. more to come from Solidworks and Rhino..
Very nice. So specific to your aircraft modeling efforts, why Lighwave over SW & Rhino? (you obviously have ALL the tool goodies ). Sorry I dont know anything about LW but am somewhat familiar with the other two. Does LW lend itself better/faster for 'big picture' conceptualization & styling? Can it export into anything that a cnc/prototyping machine could understand? (Im thinking sooner or later the enginnering types are going to want access to those renderings in some format).
Old Mar 02, 2010, 05:01 PM
raceachevy is offline
Find More Posts by raceachevy
RC Addict
raceachevy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptxman View Post
Very nice. So specific to your aircraft modeling efforts, why Lighwave over SW & Rhino? (you obviously have ALL the tool goodies ). Sorry I dont know anything about LW but am somewhat familiar with the other two. Does LW lend itself better/faster for 'big picture' conceptualization & styling? Can it export into anything that a cnc/prototyping machine could understand? (Im thinking sooner or later the enginnering types are going to want access to those renderings in some format).
I use lightwave to do concept sketches and quick 3D visualizations. I also use it to make quick 3D representations of 2D paint scheme designs for aircraft, which is what 3 out of the 4 renderings I posted were. For me, it serves a completely seperate use than that of using Solidworks or Rhino. You can use lightwave to make StereoLithography models, but I haven't tried that.

I do generally use the models created in Lightwave as a plan when i'm starting my Solidworks models, but that's where the connection ends. Solidworks is my prefered package of choice, and i use it mainly to do indutrial and mechanical design type stuff, with the ability to do some quick FEA on structures. I've worked with Catia, Solidworks, UG NX6, Pro-E, AutoCAD, and a few other CAD packages, and Solidworks seems to fit me the best for the projects that I work on.

I've used Rhino for 2 Projects, and it feels like a more advanced 3D version of AutoCAD. It works great for doing surfacing, and allows a lot more freedom in freeform surfacing than Solidworks does, but i wouldn't try to replace Solidworks with Rhino for any of my big projects.

If i get clearance, i'll try to post more of my projects to give a better idea of what's been done.
Old Mar 02, 2010, 05:53 PM
ptxman is offline
Find More Posts by ptxman
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by raceachevy View Post
I've used Rhino for 2 Projects, and it feels like a more advanced 3D version of AutoCAD. It works great for doing surfacing, and allows a lot more freedom in freeform surfacing than Solidworks does, but i wouldn't try to replace Solidworks with Rhino for any of my big projects.
Great info thanks. So as not to hog up ‘showcase’ space, I for one would be very interested in any Rhino > SW workflow examples & experiences in a separate post if you ever care to throw something together. I’m just at the getting-to-know-you stage of SW-2010, so far blown away by the power. But that’s been confined to mostly ‘mechanical’ type components & simple assemblies. I have this feeling when I work my up to freeform surfacing again, I’ll be comparing it to how I did things in Rhino. Are you using T-splines plugin with Rhino, or just standalone?
Old Mar 02, 2010, 06:13 PM
raceachevy is offline
Find More Posts by raceachevy
RC Addict
raceachevy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptxman View Post
Great info thanks. So as not to hog up ‘showcase’ space, I for one would be very interested in any Rhino > SW workflow examples & experiences in a separate post if you ever care to throw something together. I’m just at the getting-to-know-you stage of SW-2010, so far blown away by the power. But that’s been confined to mostly ‘mechanical’ type components & simple assemblies. I have this feeling when I work my up to freeform surfacing again, I’ll be comparing it to how I did things in Rhino. Are you using T-splines plugin with Rhino, or just standalone?
Here is one project i did with Rhino(standalone), and a render of it in Lightwave. The tooling is still at the 5-Axis shop, so no final pictures of the real thing yet.
Last edited by raceachevy; Mar 02, 2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2010, 06:26 PM
ptxman is offline
Find More Posts by ptxman
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by raceachevy View Post
Here is one project i did with Rhino(standalone), and a render of it in Lightwave. The tooling is still at the 5-Axis shop, so no final pictures of the real thing yet.
Cool.
Strange looking 'cockpit' though... normally the navigator & copilot chairs are not opposed like that... and with water jet orfices!...
Old Mar 02, 2010, 06:47 PM
raceachevy is offline
Find More Posts by raceachevy
RC Addict
raceachevy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptxman View Post
Cool.
Strange looking 'cockpit' though... normally the navigator & copilot chairs are not opposed like that... and with water jet orfices!...
Here's an instrument panel.. a jpeg captured from Solidworks, the plug after it came off of the 5-Axis, and the final parts installed in the plane.
Old Mar 03, 2010, 02:17 AM
Haole is offline
Find More Posts by Haole
Stranger in a land
Haole's Avatar
That's some deadsexy work right there. Thanks for sharing!

Carl
Old Mar 03, 2010, 05:23 AM
Minibichus is offline
Find More Posts by Minibichus
MB-Commander
Minibichus's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by raceachevy View Post
Here's an instrument panel.. a jpeg captured from Solidworks, the plug after it came off of the 5-Axis, and the final parts installed in the plane.
Wow, impressive. You live in Orlando too, do you know if there is a place where I could have my model cut in wood or foam?

G.
Old Mar 03, 2010, 04:20 PM
raceachevy is offline
Find More Posts by raceachevy
RC Addict
raceachevy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minibichus View Post
Wow, impressive. You live in Orlando too, do you know if there is a place where I could have my model cut in wood or foam?

G.
I work closely with a shop out in Merritt Island named Composite Technologies. They have a 10'x20'x6' DMS 5-axis router, and a 8'x8' Motion Master. They also have a laser scanner to scan in hand fabricated parts. They will cut in wood or foam. I'm working on getting a website set up for them now which will showcase their capabilities and their equipment.

-James
Old Mar 03, 2010, 06:09 PM
vintage1 is offline
Find More Posts by vintage1
Registered User
vintage1's Avatar
Assuming we are still an aeromodelling group..

Knurling on the prop driver took ages to find a way...
Old Mar 05, 2010, 11:00 PM
Montag DP is online now
Find More Posts by Montag DP
Sink stinks
Montag DP's Avatar
Here is one of my designs. This was actually done mostly in TurboCAD but then the wing was redone and I switched over to Rhino. It's nothing fancy, but it sure flies nice.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 07:16 PM
JochenK is offline
Find More Posts by JochenK
Registered User
JochenK's Avatar
Mr Mulligan. The original is a rubber-powered SIG kit with some 20" wing-span. Drawn in Alibre Design.

Jochen
Old Mar 20, 2010, 05:12 AM
vintage1 is offline
Find More Posts by vintage1
Registered User
vintage1's Avatar
I like that Jochen. VERY much. You should kit that and sell it.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 01:15 PM
JochenK is offline
Find More Posts by JochenK
Registered User
JochenK's Avatar
Vintage,

I thought this was an old kit, but I just saw that they are still selling it for something like $10. SIG Kit FF-23. With the tiny 2.4 GHz equipment out now she may even fly radio controlled.

Jochen


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Totally blinged showcase skyzoid Electric Heli Talk 1 Aug 26, 2009 12:49 AM
Burrito Showcase texan The Profile Brotherhood 18 Feb 11, 2005 03:41 PM
Melbourne city showcase part I kahnxx Aerial Photography 5 Oct 10, 2004 10:54 PM
Universal Fuselage Aircraft Showcase - post your here kahnxx Foamies (Kits) 9 Sep 28, 2004 08:50 AM
EPP PSS Showcase!!! hellcatman Slope 16 Mar 09, 2004 04:07 PM