This thread is privately moderated by mcg, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 17, 2019, 09:17 AM
The Junk Man
Josef,

Have you uploaded any of your parts like guns or instrument panels to Thingiverse?

Tom
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2019, 01:16 AM
Up side down
Hi Tom,

no I haven't

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_om
Josef,

Have you uploaded any of your parts like guns or instrument panels to Thingiverse?

Tom
May 20, 2019, 01:22 AM
Up side down

Wildcat F4F-4

So, here is a few pictures from my previous work on F4F-4 Wildcat
The technique was the same, used SketchUp for simple models, them milled those parts and glued them together. Some parts needed to be finished by hands. Sometimes is simpler just to get a sand paper to your hands than create horribly complicated 3D models... sometimes not

Enjoy the pictures.

Josef
Last edited by Pepson; May 20, 2019 at 01:39 AM.
May 20, 2019, 08:49 AM
Amazing work!
May 20, 2019, 08:51 AM
The Junk Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepson
Hi Tom,

no I haven't
Pity. Some really nice stuff.

Tom
Jun 12, 2019, 11:13 AM
Trust me, I'm an engineer !

Pilatus PC-21 CAD

Here's a few pics of my work-in-progress 3D printed Pilatus PC-21
  • Pre-Dimensioning is done with PredimRC
  • CAD is done in Onshape where Darren Lynch's Aerofoil Script came to great use (it allows generation of airfoil profiles simply by selecting a Leading and trailing edge points on a plane, and then you pick an airfoil in a drop-down list connected to the UIUC database).
  • Slicing with Cura 4.0
  • Printing on an Anycubic i3 Mega

More on this thread : https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Pilatus-PC-21
Jun 13, 2019, 10:35 AM

Samples of work I continue to do

Hi everybody,

I was kindly invited by C. Gianturco, the moderator, to post some of my work. I generally work with real-world manufacturers these days, but still do the occasional RC-related project for those who want to machine plugs for fabrication, and once in a while, a whimsical "future" aircraft. All of this work was created and rendered in "MODO".

You can see this and much more on my site at http://www.mikejamesmedia.com
Last edited by Mike James; Jun 13, 2019 at 12:11 PM.
Jun 13, 2019, 04:42 PM
who has rabbit ears down
OHH WOWEE! Hi Mike! Glad to see ya here! ( Just one of th TurboCAD Mac beta testers snoopin' @ your portfolio of beauty!
Latest blog entry: My "Kubiak" Collection
Jun 13, 2019, 04:45 PM
Thank you!
Jun 30, 2019, 05:01 AM

Yakovlev Yak-23

Work in progress. Novice level designing in Fusion.

100mm EDF
64" wingspan, length 56"

Instead of making a fiberglass fuselage I decided to see if designing a printed shell will work. There will be several printed fuselage sections glued together with a parting line on the bottom. This will be opened up and installed over a jig holding the internal parts.

Skin will be a single layer, thickness will be around .030" using a .6mm nozzle. Formers will be .125" light ply in the front and balsa in the back. There will be some 1/8" x 1/4" stringers installed connecting the formers.
Last edited by p901P901; Jul 01, 2019 at 06:45 PM.
Jul 01, 2019, 09:39 PM
I'm no CAD expert (farmer by trade), but I do like to dabble. Mostly for foamboard and 3D printed airplanes.

I'm currently working on an XF5U "Flying Flapjack". Just finished drawing all the internal structure, and am now printing like mad.

Build Thread:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...iber-Filaments

This plane is all done, and is an awesome flier. Huge speed envelope and very gentle for how fast it can go.

Northern Pike:

Build Thread:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...s-Posted%21%29
Jul 16, 2019, 06:52 PM
Just got this thing finished printing last week, and was able to do the maiden flight this last weekend.

Powered with two SK3 5055 430kv motors, 20x13 E APC props, 100a ESC's, and two 4500mah 4s batteries.

3D Printed XF5U "Flying Flapjack" - Flight Fest 2019 (3 min 20 sec)

Went decently. Wobbles at low speed, so landing is trickier and faster than I would like. Had some assembly issues (building outdoors in massive humidity), which kept me from getting all my carbon spars installed. Made the landing gear quite weak.

Now I know it'll fly, the next version will be getting retracts, and probably a flight stabilizer as well. I'll play with the CG and see if that'll help any as well.

Got a bunch of CAD work to do. I want to optimize some internal structure. Move the battery hatch, and do some things to make assembly easier.
Jul 16, 2019, 08:36 PM
localfiend ;
Nice work.
Looks like a lot of fun flying the pancake. I did not expect how quickly it left off the ground.
Jul 16, 2019, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by p901P901
localfiend ;
Nice work.
Looks like a lot of fun flying the pancake. I did not expect how quickly it left off the ground.
Thanks, and yeah, it's a rocket ship. That was me being easy on the throttle. Should be able to take off with no tire roll at all I'm thinking.
Aug 15, 2019, 12:36 PM
After seeing all your work I feel intimidated and very noob... but Im posting my drawing anyway.
Not difficult to draw (in Rhino), scale 1/10. My question is: how do I go on after this? What steps should I follow to turn it into a flying model?

Quick Reply