Jan 11, 2010, 10:33 PM
Totally Awesome. The wait will be well worth it.
Love the inset wings, Hope all the future planes have that design.
Very good looking craft.
On another note, I've been flying the Aspera as much as I can. Might be a new favorite.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 11, 2010, 10:37 PM
Pattern Abuser
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucor basher
2M (78") typically flies on 10S 5000mah, made up of two 5S 5000mah packs.

The Osiris 62" is designed to fly on one of those packs, so electric pattern flyers can get maximum practice on a superb airframe for minimum $. The Osiris 62" should be very competitive in its own right, for much less $$ than a full 2M ship.

And, nothing's preventing us from doing a 2M version in the future.
Thanks Ben.

Hopefully I will finish the year strong with my new Osiris!!!

Perhaps next year when I move up we will have a 2M version. We can wring out a subtleties with the 62"

Again FANTASTIC!
Jan 12, 2010, 12:42 AM
Thread OP
Everyone,

Thanks for all the interest in the Osiris, I surely think that you will love the way this plane flies.
As far as the inset wing goes. I was introduced to this by the Krill Spark, the model I flew all this year. From all my tests that I have done I have found that even with the outer tip being smaller and stalling first it does not have the type stall tendencies you see in heavily wingloaded aircraft. I have pulled very tight corners with this model and it has shown absolutely no sights of tip stalling. But the Plus of it are the super super starts and stops in snap rolls. Its just amazing that this plane stops right when you want it to. I'm hoping that everyone enjoys flying this plane as much as I do. Heck I went out on sunday when it was 20 degrees and 15 mph winds out just to go fly it.

Andrew
Jan 12, 2010, 12:47 AM
Test your skills....fly IMAC!!
Thurs. afternoon is looking good for some flying. LMK

Tim
Jan 12, 2010, 12:52 AM
Thread OP
I'm back from my trip to Fort Smith AR thursday around 12:30. Let me know when you want to meet up.
Jan 12, 2010, 04:07 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Finally! I snuck into Ben's Skunk Works Shop earlier and got an eyefull of this beauty on the workbench. However, the price for knowledge was silence, and I've been bustin a gut ever since waiting to see the release. All I can say is the pictures do not do this plane justice. It is even better looking in person!

Andrew,
So does this mean you and Ben will be coming down to the "Sport" end of the field at SEFF this year to fly this pattern beauty?

McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Jan 12, 2010, 06:13 AM
OOPS
i bet they can hover it
Jan 12, 2010, 08:13 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1
i bet they can hover it
I'm sure they can, but I was wanting to see Andrew do a full-size pattern display performance in the big open area. I'm not sure Ben can fly a straight line for that long, so I want him to "Come on Down" and show me.

McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Jan 12, 2010, 08:17 AM
I think I like vanilla...
Beautiful! I love the new 'AJ' scheme.
Jan 12, 2010, 08:36 AM
Test your skills....fly IMAC!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer
I'm not sure Ben can fly a straight line for that long.

McD
I don't think that flying a straight line is going to be that tough with the Osiris.

I have a feeling you will probably see this plane down on the sport pilots flight line at SEFF this year.

Tim
Jan 12, 2010, 09:09 AM
Thread OP
I will 100% be down on the sport line flying these planes at SEFF.
I'm really looking forward to flying these there at SEFF this year.

Andrew
Jan 12, 2010, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jesky
Everyone,

Thanks for all the interest in the Osiris, I surely think that you will love the way this plane flies.
As far as the inset wing goes. I was introduced to this by the Krill Spark, the model I flew all this year. From all my tests that I have done I have found that even with the outer tip being smaller and stalling first it does not have the type stall tendencies you see in heavily wingloaded aircraft. I have pulled very tight corners with this model and it has shown absolutely no sights of tip stalling. But the Plus of it are the super super starts and stops in snap rolls. Its just amazing that this plane stops right when you want it to. I'm hoping that everyone enjoys flying this plane as much as I do. Heck I went out on sunday when it was 20 degrees and 15 mph winds out just to go fly it.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew, I didnt mean to imply that the plane would be subject to tip stall which I guess could be deducted from the "basic" way the wing design works. Of coarse the flight characteristic of the wing is more of a function of the flight envelope of the wing/plane and wing loading...both of which can be optimized through testing for performance while still minimizing wing stalls in the flight envelope .

Great looking plane both in design and scheme.

PS....Im no expert so take what I say with a grain of salt
Jan 12, 2010, 12:48 PM
Put me on the waiting list. I'll take a red one.
Jan 12, 2010, 03:06 PM
For the Birds
Well I guess it is time to start selling some old gear so I can fund this plane. Nice work AJ, I can’t wait to see the video.

-Scott
Jan 12, 2010, 05:39 PM
I have had the pleasure of flying the 62" Osiris to test power systems and batteries. It has become my favorite airplane especially for the winter time. It fits in the back of my Expedition in one piece. No assembly in the Michigan cold. AJ was flying Sunday in a 15 to 20 mph wind and the Osiris was not getting bounced around. Don't worry about the stepped wing and tip stall on landing. We have flown them from 6 lbs 2 oz to 7 lbs and they land nice and slow with no tip stall.

I flew one with 2000 watts and it handled the speed very nicely. The motor only lasted one flight but it was fun. A smaller prop would have saved the motor. If you have ever thought of learning to fly precise and graceful maneuvers this may be the perfect airplane. Because it has such good flying characteristics it makes a good all around aerobatic sport plane. AJ and I have worked on several different airplanes but this is one that I think is much better than anything in its class. Great job AJ and Ben!

Larry Markey

Quick Reply