Jan 11, 2010, 05:02 PM
From what I have read the wing would be called a dual airfoil which when used as AJ used it with this plane would cause it to snap tighter and truer. Basically the outer foil stalls quicker than the inner. At least thats my take on it...Andrew may have a better explanation.

Cirrus uses the opposite approach on its planes to help eliminate wing stalls and make it easier to regain control in said stall. Inner wing stalls first ...outer (where ailerons are = control) continues to fly.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 11, 2010, 05:12 PM
The RED filters through
I would very much like to be a good enough pilot where I could tell the difference.
Jan 11, 2010, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTalon
I would very much like to be a good enough pilot where I could tell the difference.
I think in this case you could
Jan 11, 2010, 05:15 PM
AMA L897187
So if thats the case we're basically putting in a feature that could lead to tip stalling. I think thats what I'm understanding. In this case though its not deemed a negative as that is what we want and pattern style planes do not fly high alpha maneuvers at any rate. Hope I'm not out in left field here but I'm sure AJ will chime in.
Jan 11, 2010, 05:24 PM
The RED filters through
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.W. Corrigan
So if thats the case we're basically putting in a feature that could lead to tip stalling. I think thats what I'm understanding. In this case though its not deemed a negative as that is what we want and pattern style planes do not fly high alpha maneuvers at any rate. Hope I'm not out in left field here but I'm sure AJ will chime in.
Seems like all part of the learning process to me. Left Field can be a very active position to play and require a great deal of skill to play well. You need a strong arm too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCraft
I think in this case you could
That would be a great experiment/experience!
Jan 11, 2010, 07:04 PM
I work for ExtremeFlightRC
It's actually a feature to gain more precise control over snap start/stop on exact points *without* needing to be a heavy, tip-stalling missile.
Jan 11, 2010, 07:05 PM
OOPS
it sure looks cool.i have not seen the "steps" on a plane yet.Love the cowl too.
Jan 11, 2010, 07:46 PM
3DHS Trunk-monkey
wow!! I think I might have to try one of these bad boys out
Jan 11, 2010, 08:00 PM
oh mannnnnn. I have been waiting to see this thing come to life. Excellent work Ben and Andrew and whoever else had a hand!!
Jan 11, 2010, 08:01 PM
Great looking airframe Ben and AJ. Congrats on another. Especially like the recessed wing root.

So with the stepped LE, I guess you need to be more careful not to be "low and slow" on final? Having never flown a true pattern plane, just curious if that's a worry.
Jan 11, 2010, 08:19 PM
Time to Fly AJ's Best!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFighterFSF
wow!! I think I might have to try one of these bad boys out
I think this is your new SnapaSaurus Plane for Sept.... You won't need Packing tape this time.

Also, looking at this pic of the Test Track in the background, it appears they go through rigorous Taxi Testing! That could come in handy with the grass they have up there. Not to sure why the need for the Launching Ramp though in the pic with this kind of wattage.

I like the Blue one as far as color schemes, but the Red is sharp too!
Last edited by heritageflyer; Jan 11, 2010 at 08:30 PM.
Jan 11, 2010, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Having never flown a true pattern plane, just curious if that's a worry.
No worries. Pattern planes land so, so, so easy.
Jan 11, 2010, 09:24 PM
OOPS
gosh the vyper could be used as a trainer for landings and it is a hybrid i can only imagine how good this one would.
Jan 11, 2010, 09:42 PM
Pattern Abuser
Fantastic!!!!!

I have been competing (or trying to) in NSRCA Sportsman (District 7). First with an Aspera (V1 and V2) and now a 70" Funtana that I set up for pattern. This will be an excellent Sportsman plane. I will be an owner ASAP as the Funtana is simply not a pattern plane.

Just curious, why 62" and not something in the 72" to 28" range?

Thanks Ben and Andrew, the intense anticipation is almost over

I really like the blue scheme.

Cheers,

Jim
Jan 11, 2010, 10:26 PM
Quote:
Just curious, why 62" and not something in the 72" to 28" range?
2M (78") typically flies on 10S 5000mah, made up of two 5S 5000mah packs.

The Osiris 62" is designed to fly on one of those packs, so electric pattern flyers can get maximum practice on a superb airframe for minimum $. The Osiris 62" should be very competitive in its own right, for much less $$ than a full 2M ship.

And, nothing's preventing us from doing a 2M version in the future.

Quick Reply