Apr 09, 2017, 04:05 PM
I call them brothers from different mothers because they are obviously related but sold by different companies. I don't if they come from the same factory. The Acuity is not mine. It belongs to a friend but I've looked it over several times and seen it fly about 10 flights. I have not flown it myself.

The biggest difference is the canalizer mounted on at the top of the Acuity canopy. It's hardly visible in the pic but you can see the shadow it casts on the side of the canopy. I have no flight time on it so I can't comment on flying characteristics but it looks promising.

The rudder is different as noted, an improvement in my opinion. The Osiris rudder was far bigger than needed. Other than minor cosmetic styling they are very similar in shape. Both wing and stab planform and size look nearly identical. The new wing has a continuous leading edge, not stepped like the Osiris. The cowl is slightly more streamlined. Landing gear might be identical. The Acuity is slightly shorter from nose to rudder by a couple inches I think. Construction is very similar with a nice covering job.

The owner also has the 2m Acuity nearly done. I was impressed with that one too. Very nice covering and better glass work than the small one. The cowl on the small one is typical Chinese composite work and will need some reinforcement along the top rear edge. This one is already cracking there. The pic shows some black stickers on the top rear edge of the cowl holding it together. It was very thin there with with typical Chinese glass and resin that showed signs of distress just from handling during installation. It would probably be fine if reinforced just at that spot with a layer of light glass and a couple of carbon tows for stiffness. If done right out of the box there would never be a problem and add almost no weight. That could easily be done by the buyer and would not stop me from getting one.

The other big difference is that you can actually buy the Acuity. I know some people are looking for replacement Osiris canopies with no luck. My Osiris is doing fine after 5 years but if I did not have it I would be looking hard at the Acuity. I think both sizes will be very popular.
to remove ads between posts
May 25, 2017, 06:30 PM

Osiris pilot

Does any one know of a good sized pilot for the Osiris?
Oct 09, 2017, 08:51 PM

Wheel size

What size are the original Osiris wheels?
Dec 25, 2017, 04:06 PM
The 6 P principle works for me
Looking for input from anyone still flying the Osiris. I just got one that had maybe 10 flights on it. Is it more enjoyable with a heavy or lighter lipo battery or is this just a try it out and see how you like it situation? 4 flights so far and it flies like it is on rails. Still have some trimming to do along with a lot to learn! My current battery is a tired 5S 5000, good enough to start with but I need more batteries.

Michael
Dec 25, 2017, 05:00 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
I have only flown mine with a 8s 3800 setup. Packs are right up against the wing tube, so it's a heavier setup. I love it because I fly it on windier days and it handles it great with the little bit of extra weight.
Latest blog entry: Colour Schemes
Dec 25, 2017, 05:37 PM
I just bought a used Osiris, the previous owner was running 5s 5000,,he changed it to two elevator servos, so the battery is way up in the nose to balance at the 7" recommended cog
Dec 25, 2017, 07:33 PM
Hi Andy, thanks for your reply and thanx to GP as well.

Mine also has dual servos for the elevator. I am running some tired 5S 5000's (Blue Lipo brand). They have been sitting around for at least 5 years and were at 1% to 2% charge per cell. I balanced and charged them and so far so good, 78.4amps, 18.8volts, 1490 watts and turns a 16 X 10 prop at 8250 rpm off of a fresh charge. Right now the CG is just past 6 3/4". First 4 flights were today. This plane flies great! I am considering getting 2 Glacier 5S 45C 4000's as they only weigh 496 grams. The old 5S pack I am using weighs 600g.

I am also looking at the F3AUmlimited Gator 5S 4400's as they list a weight of only 515g! Compared to the Glacier 4000's, that is only a 4% weight gain with a 10% capacity gain, if what they all advertise is accurate.

Michael
Last edited by elecfryer; Dec 25, 2017 at 07:40 PM. Reason: added
Dec 25, 2017, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elecfryer
Hi Andy, thanks for your reply and thanx to GP as well.

Mine also has dual servos for the elevator. I am running some tired 5S 5000's (Blue Lipo brand). They have been sitting around for at least 5 years and were at 1% to 2% charge per cell. I balanced and charged them and so far so good, 78.4amps, 18.8volts, 1490 watts and turns a 16 X 10 prop at 8250 rpm off of a fresh charge. Right now the CG is just past 6 3/4". First 4 flights were today. This plane flies great! I am considering getting 2 Glacier 5S 45C 4000's as they only weigh 496 grams. The old 5S pack I am using weighs 600g.

I am also looking at the F3AUmlimited Gator 5S 4400's as they list a weight of only 515g! Compared to the Glacier 4000's, that is only a 4% weight gain with a 10% capacity gain, if what they all advertise is accurate.

Michael
Personally I would prefer to get a little longer time flying than save a few grams if the plane balances (and with 5s 4000s I dont think I could get the battery far enough forward to balance. i would watch any pack that was 1-2% charge per cell for a long time,
Dec 25, 2017, 11:39 PM
You down with EPP?
I always flew mine on a 6s 5000mah pack. Loved it. Never ran any other pack over 5 years and two Osiris's
Dec 26, 2017, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123
I always flew mine on a 6s 5000mah pack. Loved it. Never ran any other pack over 5 years and two Osiris's
I guess the motor used matters as well!!! My Osiris came with the A50 12S original (version 1?). With the old 5S 5000's, the RTF weight is 6lb 14 oz (110oz). With a 6S 5000 I am guessing the weight to be just over 7 lbs. Good to know that it flies well at 7 lbs, should help on windy days.

With the 4000's or the 4400's, I will need to move the battery forward about 1 1/4" of course current CG is just behind 6 3/4" so still have some room to move that back as well (just slide the battery back a little).

Yes, keeping an eye on my old 5,000's. Only using 50% - 60% of capacity for flight (timer set at 5:30). So far after flying, all the cell voltages are within .01 volts.

I will probably buy two each of the 4000's and 4400's.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Michael
Dec 26, 2017, 11:03 AM
You down with EPP?
Quote:
Originally Posted by elecfryer
I guess the motor used matters as well!!! My Osiris came with the A50 12S original (version 1?). With the old 5S 5000's, the RTF weight is 6lb 14 oz (110oz). With a 6S 5000 I am guessing the weight to be just over 7 lbs. Good to know that it flies well at 7 lbs, should help on windy days.

With the 4000's or the 4400's, I will need to move the battery forward about 1 1/4" of course current CG is just behind 6 3/4" so still have some room to move that back as well (just slide the battery back a little).

Yes, keeping an eye on my old 5,000's. Only using 50% - 60% of capacity for flight (timer set at 5:30). So far after flying, all the cell voltages are within .01 volts.

I will probably buy two each of the 4000's and 4400's.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Michael
Yeah, I believe it was the 16s that flew 6 cell
Dec 29, 2017, 08:20 PM
the A50 12S is 480 kv (or the latest one is)
the A50-16S is 365 kv

I am putting the A50-16S is a Wind 50E and will run 6s but the motor in the Orisis (mine) is higher KV (I think its a variation of the 12s) and it was running 5s
Feb 08, 2018, 11:36 PM

Osiris Pattern Setup/Settings (Spectrum DX8)

I was traveling with my DX8 in the cargo box. Late at night, stopped to get a blanket out of the cargo box and didn't latch it again. Back at speed I heard a weird clunk but didn't think much about it. My radio fell out of the cargo box and I didn't realize it until I was back home, 350 miles away.

And, I didn't have my settings backed up. I could chew glass - how could I be so dumb! All those hours of trimming, several planes!

The most important one is the Osiris. If you happen to have your settings for the following you'd be willing to share here, or that I could download via my macintosh, I'd really appreciate it:

Mixes:
Rud->Elev
Rud->Ail

% throws, low, med. & high rates.

Yes, every plane is different, but it would help as I get going again with a new radio.

Thanks!
Apr 10, 2018, 08:56 PM
Head-tracking FPV Advocate
Hi gents,

I misplaced the wing bolts for my 62" Osiris. Do you guys know where I can buy replacements?
Apr 10, 2018, 09:38 PM
so, you are looking for a 4mm x 15mm thread.

Grainger item #1PY32, 4mm thread X 16mm long. Knurl top but no screw driver slot. $29.10 for 5 pcs!!!

Micro Fasteners offers a 4mm X 25mm Nylon Thumb Screw for a lot less however, no picture of the head! Item #NBTEM4025. Link below.

https://www.microfasteners.com/nbtem...ing-bolts.html

I just checked my stash of nylon h/w. I have a pkg of 1/4 X 20 Thumb Screws from Micro Fasteners and it has a knurled head with a screw driver slot. I am guessing the 4mm X 25mm Nylon thumb screw will have a similar head.

Michael
Last edited by elecfryer; Apr 10, 2018 at 09:43 PM. Reason: added

Quick Reply