Documenting my experience with Clearview simulator - RC Groups
Jan 10, 2010, 07:45 PM
Discussion

Documenting my experience with Clearview simulator

I recently purchased Clearview flight simulator and have been unable to use it because of constant screen flickering and lockups. After searching this forum for solutions, it seems the author of this software is unable or unwilling to help those customers which have issues. As a public service, I am providing a documentation of my experience for those that may consider this software in the future. Below is a series of emails I exchanged with Stephan. You decide.

__________________________________________________ ________

customer ID 240938859343177
I would like a refund please.

Thanks,
-Art

Hi Art,

Regarding your request for refund, like any other consumer software
sold in USA, the ClearView license is non refundable. I will be happy
to help in case you have any specific problem.

Thanks,
Stefan
ClearView RC

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...back+guarantee

Thanks,
-Art

This was promotion long time ago that was discontinued due to abuse.

Thanks,
Stefan
ClearView RC

Ok, computer is Athlon 4400+, 4gb ram, 1.5TB hdd, XP64 sp2, GeForce
8800GT with driver version 195.62. Clearview application flickers and
freezes so much as to be completely unusable. There are no issues
with this machine in any other applications, including 3D applications
such as FMS, RCDeskpilot, Torchlight, Urban Terror, Fallen Earth.

This is video driver problem.
I will sugest to install latest video driver, or try resetting the
video driver settings to default.
The application listed use Direct X 8 and ClearView uses Open GL.
This exsersizes different parts of the driver, therefore different resulst.
Try also check your Open GL settings and see if changes will help.

ClearView works well on all Nvidia and Ati cards provided proper
driver and proper system setup.

The driver is set to defaults. OpenGL benchmark/stability test via
FurMark reports no problems or instability.

The flicker is a driver problem. ClearView works the same way
regardless the computer or the driver.
The ClearView code is the same for all drivers - ClearView works fine
on tens of thousands of computers. If there is a flicker, it is video
driver/hardware/system setup problem that while hard to
eliminate/debug is not problem in ClearView.

I will suggest to try ClearView on another computer or fix the problem
and try again.

Thanks,
Stefan
ClearView RC
to remove ads between posts
Jan 10, 2010, 09:00 PM
Out the Window
I would also like to add....do not try the free ClearView....you may be sorry! I installed it on my computer and it was not an easy task to uninstall it. Stefan has LOTS of excuses with any problem you might have. He finally told me that I was not a customer of ClearView and he refused to be of any help. In other words he wanted some money to solve a problem that HIS software caused.

Anyway a friend and I figured out how to get rid of the faulty software.

There may be a lot of happy customers of ClearView, but you may not be one of them!

I like the statement about tens of thousands of computers that you quoted from Stefan! That is a lot of software!

Ray
Jan 10, 2010, 09:05 PM
I could accept that there would be a possibility of a computer setting or driver issue, however, since I tested OpenGL function and stability, that is not the cause. If anyone has been able to "fix" a system on which Clearview did not function properly on, please contribute. Or, even better, if Stephan is able to describe what I need to do to fix the issue I would be grateful.
Jan 10, 2010, 09:51 PM
Continued from above:

__________________________________________________ _______

Please tell me what problem you refer to and I will fix it. I have no
other computer.

You choose to post my private support e-mails with you on a public
forum without my permission. This is unacceptable and rude and
probably illegal attempt to blackmail me. I suggest to reconsider
your actions. Until you do not remove my private e-mails with you from
rcgroups I will stop any communications with you.

Thanks,
Stefan
ClearView RC

Wow. I think this says it all.
Jan 10, 2010, 10:06 PM
I've just been contacted via the board that a user has filed a complaint against this thread. I welcome a proper settlement to this issue, and hope that others are able to benefit from the example as well.
Jan 11, 2010, 08:50 AM
Here is a video capture, unedited. This is what I see when I run the program.

Clearview R/C simulator (0 min 37 sec)
Last edited by ancjr; Jan 11, 2010 at 08:56 AM.
Jan 11, 2010, 07:03 PM
I agree that something is wrong with ur 'puter. Clearview runs great here on a $300 Dell Inspiron 530. I did add a $40 GEForce 9400 card to get the closeup view working.
Jan 12, 2010, 04:14 AM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
Please see post #21

I don't have Clearview, so I'm not going to speak to that specifically...

I have however purchased add-on software for Microsoft Flight Simulator X from Abacus that was designed for FS2004, but was promoted as working in FSX. It however, clearly did not. After going through all the hassle of informing them that yes my OS was indeed listed as compatible, and yes FSX runs fine, just not their add-ons, etc, they cut off all communication with me. I can assure you that I was not being pushy or belligerent whatsoever. All I wanted was for their software to work as advertised. I guess that's what I get for settling for an inferior product. Lesson learned.

I build my own PCs. I know them inside and out, literally. I've even designed and built systems professionally for an ISP, and others. That being said, I can tell a buggy program when I see one, and I know if it's hardware/driver related or not.

In your case it is most likely a system/hardware/driver issue of some sort, but your dealings with Clearview don't speak too well of their customer service.

Guess what, bad customer service is bad advertising, especially if someone is worldly enough to complain about it in a straightforward manner on a major relevant forum. It's not blackmail when someone holds you publicly accountable for your product. As far as I can tell, there were no threats of any kind made. Suggesting otherwise speaks volumes. And because of that very action, I for one will no longer be suggesting Clearview as a viable option to those interested in RC flight simulators.

Feel free to address this issue, so that I can have both sides of the story.

Other than that, live and learn.
Last edited by Wrend; Jan 13, 2010 at 10:57 PM.
Jan 12, 2010, 09:00 AM
Clearview runs more or less fine for me on my crappy Vista box so clearly your PC has issues. For $40 I guess it's worth it but overall I pretty much never use it once I got a real flight simulator. Occasionally I turn it on for a few minutes but it's miles behind something like FsOne or G4/G5.
Jan 12, 2010, 05:39 PM
Wrend pretty much hit the nail on the head. I am not a programmer, but I have dealt with computer hardware, even in a corporate setting. That being said, I do not understand what would cause my hardware, my video driver, and OpenGL to function flawlessly in one program (FurMark), and completely fail in another (Clearview). Again, I'm open to getting this to function correctly, short of spending more money or becoming a programmer myself. I tried the Clearview demo and it functioned well enough for me to consider it worth $40. I bought it, after having completely exhausted my demo period and having no issues or errors. Upon entering the activation code, performance degraded to what you see in the above video link. I wanted this thread to be above the level of hollow accusation, name calling or unhelpful observation "the problem is X!" and more toward the direction of establishing functionality, or the possibility of functionality, of this software on my system.

UPDATE:

I filed a complaint in Google Checkout (my method of payment). I was marked as resolved, so that was of no use.

Stefan should address this issue, as I am not attempting to abuse his once-offered refund policy. He could also work with me to fix the issue. The ball is in his court and I'm more than willing to accept a positive outcome for us both. Otherwise, it appears as if he is avoiding responsibility and has taken my money unfairly.
Last edited by ancjr; Jan 12, 2010 at 06:16 PM.
Jan 12, 2010, 06:39 PM
Lou
Lou
Closed Account
Ancjr,

You, more or less started out on the wrong foot by the way you made this post. In my view, since you posted the PM/emails between you and Stephan, it certainly looks like a accustational post and that you are looking to pick a fight. It does not to me, look like a post from someone that came here looking for help.

Had you originally posted that you needed help in resolving a display issue and left it at that, a good number of folks may well have jumped in to help you. From the title of your thread and the posting of PM/emails, it does not look like you came here for help.

I do not own CV so I have no particular side to take. However, what your vid shows is what I have seen occur with Phoenix, G3.5 and G5 when there were issues with DX9, graphic card drivers or software options being used in the graphic card control panel. All three of those simulators cost substantially more than CV.
Jan 12, 2010, 10:06 PM
Ok, good news. I was able to get the simulator working! A reboot got it working fine. However, I feel this thread is still relevant for the following reasons:

1) I changed no settings, nor updated anything on my machine. I have used this machine for several years and am very familiar with it. If there is an issue with a particular piece of software, I am able to isolate it and it alone as the cause since I do not fidget with "tweaks" and "fixes" that are risky and cause instability. I rarely reboot this machine as a result of not having too. The success of those with laptops, which as a nature of their portable use reboot often, also seems to point to this problem as well.

2) There is no reason for me to purchase software and assume it is up to me to do anything other than is what is reasonable as far as setup to my hardware (calibration of controller for instance) or basic maintenance of the machine (driver updates, etc). Still less likely am I to assume that I would need to go to a forum not listed on the software website and ask for support.

3) I appreciate Stefan for creating an inexpensive r/c simulator. For many people, I'm sure they have had nothing but a positive experience from Stefan and his software. However, when there is an issue, to blame me or my hardware, drivers, etc is and was not helpful in resolving this issue.

4) The denial of issues with Clearview itself is only hindrance in making it a better product and getting it to function properly on more people's machines. This in itself would go very far in improving its reputation and popularity, as was stated by a poster above, it's basically free advertising.
Jan 13, 2010, 03:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancjr
Ok, good news. I was able to get the simulator working! A reboot got it working fine.
... <snip> ...
I rarely reboot this machine as a result of not having too.
... <snip> ...
Rebooting is right at the top of the list in the "Windows Trouble Shooters' Toolbox" so to speak. It's one of the first things I try if I'm confused as to why some issue small or large is happening. In addition, I almost always install new software only after fresh reboot.
Jan 13, 2010, 06:23 AM
After updating or installing a kernel, driver or resident program, I can understand rebooting. Having to reboot after running a program for a couple hours is a bit excessive. None of the other software I've bought and use every day requires such nursing along. Even with crashes, it should run fine after restarting the program. I know its unreasonable to expect it of every program, but there are plenty examples of software that are able to remain stable and running for years at a time. Anyway... its pointless and tedious to continue - I've said and done plenty to get my point across. Stefan has my money and is intent to keep it, while not providing the support I paid for. Case closed. Live and learn.
Jan 13, 2010, 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancjr
Having to reboot after running a program for a couple hours is a bit excessive.
Not what I meant. Rebooting when there is a mysterious issue going on or before installing new software is generally a good idea. Windows can be a bit of a rats nest, so rebooting gives you that clean slate.

Aside from the above I too keep my computer running without rebooting for ages and occasionally when convenient just reboot for no particular reason because I know that even well known programs have little progressive imperfections like memory leaks, etc.