This thread is privately moderated by Bombay, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 09, 2010, 09:05 AM
Slow Flyer
Thread OP
FAQ

30 Amp and 45 Amp Anderson PowerPole Sets - Shipping Included

Details:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5#post19976283

Additional Information:
- On the 15, 30, and 45 amp connectors, the housing is the same size. The difference is the size wire that the contact accepts and the amp rating.

- The 15, 30, and 45 amp connectors can be plugged into one another. The difference in the connectors is the wire barrel size, not the contact tip or the housing. In other words, you could put the 45 amp connectors on a battery and still connect that battery to a 10 amp ESC that has the 15 amp connectors on it.

- In the past, I have used the 15, 30, and 45 amp connectors. Currently, I only use the 45 amp connectors. Why? There is really very little difference in weight between the 3 types and the 45 amp connectors are more versatile. Overall, it is cheaper just to keep one size on hand.

- I believe there is literature/testing out there that suggests that Anderson Power Poles have some electrical advantage (ie efficiency) over some other connectors. If it is out there, you can probably find it at the Anderson site. However, to me, for our applications, I am not going to say that one connector is superior to another. Choose the one that you like and leave the "Ford vs Chevy" arguments to someone else.

CRIMPERS
For the best crimp, and least trouble possible, it is best to use a crimper specifically designed for powerpoles. However, those are generally expensive ($40-$200). If you do use a crimper specifically made for powerpoles, you will get a perfect crimp every time...with no additional adjustment needed...and the contacts will slide into the housings like butter.

In the past, I have used a standard “cheapo” crimper similar to this. The important thing is to crimp them so that the crimped barrel is the right size to fit into the housing. Sometimes after crimping with a cheapo crimper you will need to reform the barrel to the right size using a pair of pliers. No big deal. Practice makes perfect.

Another cheapo crimping tool that looks promising is this one. I have not tried this one, but it is ratcheting (which is good) and it has 3 different crimp sizes (also good). Whether or not it works on powerpoles, I do not know (yet). If you try this one, or any others, let me know.

For a more expensive crimper, you may want to check out this one for around $50. This is similar to the crimper that I am currently using. If you use powerpoles exclusively, one like this is worth the investment. It ratchets down and gives you a perfect crimp every time. It makes it so easy.

But again, you may just need to check your toolboxes to see if you have a crimper that would work. I am sure your wife or girlfriend would appreciate it if you didn't buy yet ANOTHER tool.

The beauty of the Power Pole connectors is that:

- the recommended method of installing them is to crimp them.
I find crimping less hassle than soldering.

- crimping connectors does not involve a soldering iron, flux,
a sponge, solder, an iron holder/station, an outlet, protective eyewear, or heat-shrink tubing.

- the basic tools needed include a wire stripper/cutter/pliers,
a crimper, and a small flathead screw driver to help insert the
contacts.

- If you are adding in an additional wire or two (like when you connect in a circuit for night fly LEDs), it is much easier (in my opinion) just to crimp it in with the other wires rather than to solder those additional wires onto a connector.

- they are slightly larger (but not necessarily heavier) than some
of the other connectors out there. This could be good or bad,
but I like the fact that they are larger and easier to grip than
some of the other connectors. This is especially important when
your hands are sweaty/oily/etc. As you can see below, although
they are larger, we are only talking about a matter of millimeters.

- Here are some size references for 3 types of connectors (pairs)
- XT60 (yellow) 25mmx16mmx9mm
- EC3 (blue) 26mmx16mmx8mm
- ECM3 style (red): 25mmx16mmx7mm
- Deans: 26mmx13mmx8mm
- Power Poles: 42mmx16mmx8mm

We are talking millimeters...

- They are easier to click together and click apart than most of the
connectors out there. This is especially important when your hands
are sweaty/oily/etc. I've heard a story about a guy trying to pull
apart a certain brand connector inside a foam fuselage. When the
connector finally disengaged, the force needed drove his hands right
thru the foam fuselage. Really, the Power Poles click together
and click apart like butter. And with that said, I have never had a
connector set disengage/come apart on it's own.

- Unlike some other connectors, the Power Poles are color-coded.
For each set, you have a black housing and a red housing.
For some connectors, since they are not color-coded, it
is easy to install the positive wire on the negative contact and vice
versa. In fact, I have received pre-assembled leads from a
certain vendor that were reversed polarized...twice. Luckily, my
charger caught it before I actually smoked anything.

- Power Pole connectors are "keyed". Once you properly install them
on your system (battery, esc, etc), you cannot accidentally plug
them in incorrectly. They will only fit togther one way.

Are there disadvantages? Of course.
- They are not as readily available as some of the other connectors.
- They may be a little more expensive than some of the other common connectors.
- They are not as popular with the old school, so you might get a sneer or two.
- They are slightly larger than some of the other common connectors on the market.
- Many vendors include other connectors pre-installed on their batteries, etc.
- There is a slight learning curve in the crimping and installation of the contacts. With that said, if you follow the directions you will get the hang of it quickly and will probably be won over with the ease of installation (easy to install at the field, too). Plus, I have only goofed on one connector in the midst of all the Power Poles I have installed. I simply ruined one contact, but the housing was still good.
- Lastly, some people just don't like butter.

Again, it comes down to a matter of preference. For my current planes and applications, I prefer the Anderson Power Pole connectors.

If you have any questions, I will try to answer them. However, I am no expert...just an rc pilot who happens to like and use APP's.

Best Regards,
Rob
Last edited by Bombay; Mar 15, 2012 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Who's asking?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 14, 2010, 08:15 PM
Space Cowboy
Good post Rob,

I agree in saying go with your connector of preference.

I switched a while ago from Deans Ultras because of the force required to separate them.

Soldering them required tons of heat and the chance to melt the deans.

I purchased the die crimping tool and now everything I have has deans (even my charger to-from the power supply)

I have ran the "45 amp" over 100 amps with no issue.

I also have cut the housing so that it is smaller and still offers protection.

http://www.flyrc.com/articles/using_powerpole_1.html

great article!
Feb 14, 2010, 08:35 PM
Slow Flyer
Thread OP
Hey, ShoGinn:
Thanks for the input...and thanks for sharing the article.
Rob
Jul 01, 2010, 10:09 PM
30 RC's and counting
How many low voltage amps (7.2v to 22.2v) are the 30 amp connector good for? I know they are rated for home use, but I need help figuring out RC use.
Jul 01, 2010, 10:23 PM
Slow Flyer
Thread OP
The datasheet indicates 600 volts ac or dc.

http://www.andersonpower.com/litlib/...ml/download/45
Jul 01, 2010, 10:28 PM
30 RC's and counting
So what does that mean for our use?
Jul 02, 2010, 07:43 AM
Slow Flyer
Thread OP
For RC use, it looks like the PP's are limited by amps (gateway) and not voltage (current strength).

If you are doing something wild or unusual with them, I would check directly with the manufacturer. Good luck.

Quick Reply