This thread is privately moderated by Bombay, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 09, 2010, 08:30 AM
Slow Flyer
Thread OP
Discussion

Turnigy Electronic Switch

For those of you who are interested in the Turnigy switch, but are confused when it comes to wiring it into your system, I hope this will help.

When I purchased the switch, although it comes with a nice diagram, I still did not quite understand how to wire it up. Luckily, my flying buddy is a whiz at electronics and helped me understand what was needed. To help me better understand how it would be wired into my own setup, I drew up a new diagram.

Basically, you hook the negative/black leads from the LED strips to the negative/black leads of the battery or ESC.

You do the same thing for the postive/red leads, only you run them through the switch. So, basically, the switch disconnects and reconnects the positive leads whenever you move your transmitter gear or aux toggle switch.

I use the CAT5 wire and servo connectors on all the connections except for the battery and ESC (here you will use Anderson PowerPoles or your favorite connector).

I wire the LED leads into the ESC so that I can switch out the battery easily without having to disconnect any of the other wires. All of the inline connectors allow you to remove any of the components if needed.

Let me know if you have any questions about the diagram.

Update: I added a second diagram with a slightly different wiring sequence for the LEDs. There are many different wiring combinations that can be used.

The 3rd diagram shows series wiring as a comparison. Note that with series wiring, the brightness of the LEDs will be diminish since the voltage is being spread or reduced. Also note that in series, you are bridging the positive and negative wires in the chain of LEDs (but not where they connect to the power source). To show this, I used a green wire, although you can use any color wire.

Just to be clear, constructing circuits and using a lipo battery can be dangerous. Please be sure to you have the proper supervision and work space if you are unsure of what you are doing. Accidents can happen. Consult an electronics expert if you do not have the experience necessary to work with circuits.
Last edited by Bombay; Feb 18, 2010 at 09:49 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 24, 2011, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay
For those of you who are interested in the Turnigy switch, but are confused when it comes to wiring it into your system, I hope this will help.

When I purchased the switch, although it comes with a nice diagram, I still did not quite understand how to wire it up. Luckily, my flying buddy is a whiz at electronics and helped me understand what was needed. To help me better understand how it would be wired into my own setup, I drew up a new diagram.

Basically, you hook the negative/black leads from the LED strips to the negative/black leads of the battery or ESC.

You do the same thing for the postive/red leads, only you run them through the switch. So, basically, the switch disconnects and reconnects the positive leads whenever you move your transmitter gear or aux toggle switch.

I use the CAT5 wire and servo connectors on all the connections except for the battery and ESC (here you will use Anderson PowerPoles or your favorite connector).

I wire the LED leads into the ESC so that I can switch out the battery easily without having to disconnect any of the other wires. All of the inline connectors allow you to remove any of the components if needed.

Let me know if you have any questions about the diagram.

Update: I added a second diagram with a slightly different wiring sequence for the LEDs. There are many different wiring combinations that can be used.

The 3rd diagram shows series wiring as a comparison. Note that with series wiring, the brightness of the LEDs will be diminish since the voltage is being spread or reduced. Also note that in series, you are bridging the positive and negative wires in the chain of LEDs (but not where they connect to the power source). To show this, I used a green wire, although you can use any color wire.

Just to be clear, constructing circuits and using a lipo battery can be dangerous. Please be sure to you have the proper supervision and work space if you are unsure of what you are doing. Accidents can happen. Consult an electronics expert if you do not have the experience necessary to work with circuits.
Hi,
I use Glow setup instead of Electric setup. So I dont have an ESC or BEC. I only have a battery, receiver, and Turnigy Electronic Switch.

So how will be the setup look like. Can you help me on this?
Thank you
Oct 25, 2011, 02:11 PM
Slow Flyer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekberural
Hi,
I use Glow setup instead of Electric setup. So I dont have an ESC or BEC. I only have a battery, receiver, and Turnigy Electronic Switch.

So how will be the setup look like. Can you help me on this?
Thank you
To the best of my knowledge, you would configure your glow/fuel setup like this... The 12v battery would only be used to power the LED's and switch. You would still need a 4.8v battery to power your RX and servos.

Keep in mind that without the benefit of the low cut-off that an ESC provides, you run the risk of draining your 12v battery (lipo) down to the point of damage. To avoid this, I would attach an inexpensive lipo monitor to the balance plug of the battery and keep a close eye on it.
Oct 26, 2011, 02:44 AM
Quote:
To the best of my knowledge, you would configure your glow/fuel setup like this... The 12v battery would only be used to power the LED's and switch. You would still need a 4.8v battery to power your RX and servos.

Keep in mind that without the benefit of the low cut-off that an ESC provides, you run the risk of draining your 12v battery (lipo) down to the point of damage. To avoid this, I would attach an inexpensive lipo monitor to the balance plug of the battery and keep a close eye on it.
This would work mate. Thank you for the scheme and explanation.

Cheers
Dec 12, 2011, 09:04 AM

Switching the wrong way..

OK so Im no genius, but figured out how to wiire this switch up...it works...The problem is that I Y cabled it to my retracts channel and the LED landing lights come on when the gear is up.........OK i maybe missing something obvious here...please put me out of my misery..
Thanks in advance
Dec 12, 2011, 10:21 AM
Slow Flyer
Thread OP
You'd have to throw up a quick sketch of your wiring schematic...
Dec 12, 2011, 10:57 AM
Quote:
You'd have to throw up a quick sketch of your wiring schematic...
Hi Bombay, thanks for taking the time to reply.
I used just the standard wiring set up, an in-line extension to the + and - power cables between the battery and the ESC ...with a positive and negative wire tapped off these. The Positive goes to one of the + wires on the TURNIGY switch, The other positive from the TURNIGY switch goes to the LEDS and then the negative from the LEDS to the negative of the power cable extension. I used a Y cable for the switch with the retract channel on the Rx. All works fine....just that wrong way around...i.e I want the LEDS on when the gear deploys....not when they retract.

Sorry cannot put sketch up at the moment.

Ray
Apr 29, 2012, 09:27 PM
Сделайте Америку Великой Снова
Quote:

Not sure if somebody else already corrected this, but you want to connect the grounds of the two batteries.
Apr 29, 2012, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekberural
This would work mate. Thank you for the scheme and explanation.

Cheers
See my above post. Connect the two grounds of the batteries together.
Apr 30, 2012, 09:09 AM

Quick Reply