Lifelike Turbo Jet 2000 conversion - RC Groups
Thread Tools
May 13, 2003, 12:58 AM
Registered User

Lifelike Turbo Jet 2000 conversion


A while back I read a post with a guy from Isreal starting work on converting a Turbo Jet 2000 to RC but couldn't get radio equipment so he stoped.

I was in the local hobby store the other day and low and behold Turbo Jet 2000 on the rack. I scampered home with a chuck glider and 2.50 lighter in the pocket.

After about 4 hours of tinkering and 2 hours prep time prior to tinkering gathering every bit of scrap material and equipment I had to attempt a conversion.

I find myself temporarily delayed. The plane flew off the toss but as I made the first banking manuver the elevon broke. The meet tray I used was to thin and the control horn ripped free with a chunck of elevon.

My next horizontal stab will be made from sturdy board.

Here are pics of the build.

The turbo jet can be seen on life likes page:


http://www.lifelikeproducts.com/lifoam/gliders.htm
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
May 13, 2003, 01:00 AM
Registered User
Here is a shot of the meet tray horizontal stab. I am using it in vtail setup. The white meet tray was just to thin.
May 13, 2003, 01:06 AM
Registered User
Next a hole was hollowed out in the front for the motor. I had a few slot car motors laying around and wired one up with yup that's speaker wire.

I would later find this was a mistake. The little guys are meant to run off of 1 AA battery. I was using a 7.2v 250 mah GWS pack. Yup you guessed it, it drew to many amps and drained the pack quickly and to top it off the Voltage from the pack was to much for the little motor. I burned the first one out testing. When I get a chance I'll make a trip to the hobby store and get a suitable powerplant for now I only rev it up to about a quarter on the throtle. I can hear the little Timaiya Hyperdash protest but like I said it's what I had laying around and these are just test flights.

I also made a channel in the underside to stuff the speaker wire into the fuselage.
May 13, 2003, 01:08 AM
Registered User
Next a hatch into the wing slot was cut out from the bottom of the fuselage. I left a little notch near the front of the hatch to be used as a hinge for the hatch later.
May 13, 2003, 01:10 AM
Registered User
A screwdriver was used to punch a hole into the wire channel from the newly created electronics bay. Ofcourse I hadn't hollowed the bay out yet. Wait till after the wings are mounted for that.
May 13, 2003, 01:12 AM
Registered User
I used 3M 77 spray to mount the wings
May 13, 2003, 01:13 AM
Registered User
I used clamps to ensure a good wing to fuselage bond. Since I would be carving out most of the inner wing mount to creat an electronics bay.
May 13, 2003, 01:16 AM
Registered User
I then made slots to mount the servos. I used GWS pico servos. I found it best to make the slot slightly smaller than the servo then wedge it in. For this light application the servo doesn't even wiggle when used.

For the more industrious I suppose you can make mounts, as I had to do on my 757 conversion.

I used a screw drive to punch a hole into the electonics bay once it was carved out.
May 13, 2003, 01:18 AM
Registered User
Here is a pic of gear mounted in the bay and one servo mounted.

I found that putting the battery in back gave the plane somewhat of a glide path. With the battery foward as I originally tried to keep the reciever as far from the moter cable as possible the plane nosed over way to easy on test toss.
May 13, 2003, 01:21 AM
Registered User
This is a pic from the top with both servos mounted. Yes I eyeballed it that's why the servos are not lined up.
May 13, 2003, 01:23 AM
Registered User
Next I covered the cable channel and bay with package tape. THe bay latch was installed.
May 13, 2003, 01:24 AM
Registered User
The latch was then cut out and rapped in package tape to strengthen after sanding it down thinner.
May 13, 2003, 01:26 AM
Registered User
Here is a shot of the hatch removed. I then mounted it back in place and ran a stiff wire though the front notch and fuselage. That is the hinge for the latch. I then ran another wire through the back of the latch and fuselage to keep it shut in flight.
May 13, 2003, 01:55 AM
The Magician.
birdofprey's Avatar
I have a bunch of these floating around to play with, but I just don't have the time. I like what you have done. I plan to do a twin version with 2 EDP-50XC's on the wings.

I hate to mention this, but, your prop is on in pusher configuration. It will still pull, but not as strong as it should. You need to have the lettering on the back of the prop. In other words, if you were to look at the plane from the front, you would Not be able to see the lettering on the prop.

Justin
May 13, 2003, 07:10 AM
Rehab is for quitters
LuckyArmpit's Avatar
I have a couple of these as well. My Varmint is made out of this glider. Powered by a M-100 motor, 7x6 prop (bent to 7x8) and use qualcomm 830's. About 7 ounces or so.

Dave...


Thread Tools