Aug 10, 2012, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalwizard

Honestly.. how much harder is CP than FP ??
Value RC on e-bay will be your best bet for parts.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 11, 2012, 03:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackanthem
Value RC on e-bay will be your best bet for parts.

Thanks for the tip but I tried their website and anything for the Blade SR says "no products in this category"
Aug 11, 2012, 03:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper
I went from coaxial to FP to CP and although my skill development may be vastly different from yours, I found the step from Coax to FP to be about a "3" (on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being most difficult). I was flying stuff like the CX3, MCX, Walkera Lama 400, then went to Hirobo Quark, MSR, Walkera UflyS, HoneyBee V2. Keep in mind that the Quark, MSR, UflyS are all "self stabilizing" FP helis.
Then from FP to CP was about a "6". My first CP was a Thunder Tiger Innovator MD530, which is considered one of the easiest CP helis to learn on due to it's computer programmability and slow headspeed and flexible foam rotor blades. Then came the Blade 400, which was more like a "10". The SR is sort of a "tamed down", smaller version of a B400, but still very high on the difficulty scale. Had I started with the B400 or SR, I think I would have taken much longer to learn to just hover. I would classify the SR using my scale as about an "8".
The old adage that RC heli flyers use, "it's like balancing a metal ball bearing in the middle of a sheet of plate glass", is not too far off the mark. However only you will be able to say what it's going to be like.
Great description, It seems it would not be that difficult. but I am SURE it is!!

like anything a little time and a lot of parts LOL
Aug 11, 2012, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Thanks for the tip but I tried their website and anything for the Blade SR says "no products in this category"

try here for a start for ValueRC

http://stores.ebay.com/ValueRC/_i.html?_fsub=2470745018
Aug 11, 2012, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman

AH MUCH BETTER. and what a deal on the full aluminum head package...ordered!

OK GUYS check this crappy video out (sorry cell phone so its not to high quality)
This will explain the CG problem I am having. Please note haw far the battery is forward! WAY WAY TO FAR

I sent this to horizon hobbies today so I imagine its gonna take a few days to hear back.. but I'd like to hear what you guys have to say.

thanks
Blade SR problem with Center of gravity (0 min 31 sec)
Aug 11, 2012, 07:00 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
AH MUCH BETTER. and what a deal on the full aluminum head package...ordered!

OK GUYS check this crappy video out (sorry cell phone so its not to high quality)
This will explain the CG problem I am having. Please note haw far the battery is forward! WAY WAY TO FAR

I sent this to horizon hobbies today so I imagine its gonna take a few days to hear back.. but I'd like to hear what you guys have to say.

thanks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQh7D...ature=youtu.be
What happens when you put the canopy on? Balancing should always be done as the heli would be when flying. Put the battery as far forward as possible when the canopy is installed in their stock holes. I realize the canopy doesn't weight much, but it may reduce the amount of lead you need to use. Also, from you vid, your tailboom horizontal stabilizer looks like it's kinda close to the tail rotor. Mine sits almost in the middle of the boom. And you've got your right skid tip broken off. I know it's all very light weight stuff but maybe it all adds up.
Last edited by xviper; Aug 11, 2012 at 07:06 PM.
Aug 11, 2012, 09:18 PM
Quote:
What happens when you put the canopy on? Balancing should always be done as the heli would be when flying. Put the battery as far forward as possible when the canopy is installed in their stock holes. I realize the canopy doesn't weight much, but it may reduce the amount of lead you need to use. Also, from you vid, your tailboom horizontal stabilizer looks like it's kinda close to the tail rotor. Mine sits almost in the middle of the boom. And you've got your right skid tip broken off. I know it's all very light weight stuff but maybe it all adds up.

I cant get anywhere NEAR to getting the body on. the battery is about 3/4" to 1 inch to far forward.

for the horizontal stabilizer where should it be? I guess moving it forward will help but there is nothing to indicate where it should be.

Thanks
Aug 11, 2012, 09:28 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
I cant get anywhere NEAR to getting the body on. the battery is about 3/4" to 1 inch to far forward.

for the horizontal stabilizer where should it be? I guess moving it forward will help but there is nothing to indicate where it should be.

Thanks
Mine looked like this before I put the UH-1 fuse on it. Probably won't make that much difference. Just saying to put the canopy on it with the battery in whatever position to make it happen, then start taping lead weights to the underside of the nose of the canopy till it balances. Then secure those weights to the inside of the canopy when it's balanced.
In your vid, you balanced it with the rotor blades along the line of the heli. Try turning it 90 degrees (blades out to the sides) and try it that way. You still hang it from the flybar as in the video.

BTW, before I converted it to scale, I used the canopy off my Blade 400. It's longer so can allow the battery to go further forward.
Aug 11, 2012, 09:56 PM
Quote:
Mine looked like this before I put the UH-1 fuse on it. Probably won't make that much difference. Just saying to put the canopy on it with the battery in whatever position to make it happen, then start taping lead weights to the underside of the nose of the canopy till it balances. Then secure those weights to the inside of the canopy when it's balanced.
In your vid, you balanced it with the rotor blades along the line of the heli. Try turning it 90 degrees (blades out to the sides) and try it that way. You still hang it from the flybar as in the video.

BTW, before I converted it to scale, I used the canopy off my Blade 400. It's longer so can allow the battery to go further forward.

Well I dont mind adding some weight to the front but again as I have stated... is this normal??? I would think a ready to fly heli would be READY TO FLY.. not lets add a bunch of weight and MAKE it fly..

Has anyone else run into this problem/issue.

Let me rephrase this.. so maybe you will understand my issue a little more.

So you go to your local Chevrolet dealer. plot down $30,000 for a new Camaro, then you drive it home. you come to realize they did not balance the tires, or do a front end alignment, or even set the timing.. but hey its ready to drive.

That is the way I feel with this Heli. sure I know Exactly how to balance it. but it is supposed to be READY TO FLY, should I have to balance it by THAT MUCH.?? yes I should have to move the battery until it is correct, but should I have to add a couple ounces of lead to the front of it to make it fly?? My opinion is NO, and That makes me want to b**ch, because when I bought it the salesman told me "ALL blade helis are test flown and pre adjusted from the factory, so they are TRULY READY TO FLY. DO NOT adjust anything, just put batteries in it and take it out and fly it"

so let me ask this again. has anyone else that bought a Blade sr have to add a BUNCH of weight to their heli to make it balance correctly?? if there are a lot that have had to. I will kind of let it go and just take it as "thats the way the beast is" and take it that the salesman lied his butt off.

but if I am the only one, then I feel that I got a "Defective heli" (for lack of better description) and I would like it FIXED CORRECTLY, not just throw a bandaid on it and MAKE it work right. because I paid for a CORRECT heli not a "Jerry Rigged" one.

I do appreciate all the input so far. but Try to look at it from my point of view. as far as understanding the relationship of where the CG/CP is.. I TOTALLY 100% without a doubt understand it, I am a Rocket Scientist, I KNOW what CP and CG are I deal with them EVERY DAY., but I also know there are two ways of doing things, the right way and the wrong way, and there is a REASON you don't do things the WRONG way.

Metal..
Last edited by metalwizard; Aug 12, 2012 at 09:10 AM.
Aug 13, 2012, 03:13 PM
I guess I am the only one....

Quote:
Well I dont mind adding some weight to the front but again as I have stated... is this normal??? I would think a ready to fly heli would be READY TO FLY.. not lets add a bunch of weight and MAKE it fly..

Has anyone else run into this problem/issue.

Let me rephrase this.. so maybe you will understand my issue a little more.

So you go to your local Chevrolet dealer. plot down $30,000 for a new Camaro, then you drive it home. you come to realize they did not balance the tires, or do a front end alignment, or even set the timing.. but hey its ready to drive.

That is the way I feel with this Heli. sure I know Exactly how to balance it. but it is supposed to be READY TO FLY, should I have to balance it by THAT MUCH.?? yes I should have to move the battery until it is correct, but should I have to add a couple ounces of lead to the front of it to make it fly?? My opinion is NO, and That makes me want to b**ch, because when I bought it the salesman told me "ALL blade helis are test flown and pre adjusted from the factory, so they are TRULY READY TO FLY. DO NOT adjust anything, just put batteries in it and take it out and fly it"

so let me ask this again. has anyone else that bought a Blade sr have to add a BUNCH of weight to their heli to make it balance correctly?? if there are a lot that have had to. I will kind of let it go and just take it as "thats the way the beast is" and take it that the salesman lied his butt off.

but if I am the only one, then I feel that I got a "Defective heli" (for lack of better description) and I would like it FIXED CORRECTLY, not just throw a bandaid on it and MAKE it work right. because I paid for a CORRECT heli not a "Jerry Rigged" one.

I do appreciate all the input so far. but Try to look at it from my point of view. as far as understanding the relationship of where the CG/CP is.. I TOTALLY 100% without a doubt understand it, I am a Rocket Scientist, I KNOW what CP and CG are I deal with them EVERY DAY., but I also know there are two ways of doing things, the right way and the wrong way, and there is a REASON you don't do things the WRONG way.

Metal..
Aug 13, 2012, 03:37 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
I guess I am the only one....
I don't think you are. This thread is pretty old and I'm betting many of the original posters here have long since moved on and don't fly their SRs anymore and have unsubscribed from this thread. I haven't flown mine since summer of 2011 and it's been even longer since it was a pod and boom configuration. I just know that I have a good hunk of lead in the nose of my Huey.
Aug 13, 2012, 05:07 PM
Quote:
I don't think you are. This thread is pretty old and I'm betting many of the original posters here have long since moved on and don't fly their SRs anymore and have unsubscribed from this thread. I haven't flown mine since summer of 2011 and it's been even longer since it was a pod and boom configuration. I just know that I have a good hunk of lead in the nose of my Huey.

Well I sent a copy of the video to Horizon and made my complaint, lets see what they do about it if anything.

Maybe I should start a new thread about the CG... I hate to do that but maybe it will spark some interest and some input!
Aug 13, 2012, 07:33 PM
Check out the beginning of this video. I do the exact same thing with my SR and have not had to add any weights.
Something in your tail is weighting you down?

E-FLITE Blade SR - Setup and First Flight - Official Beginner's Guide Part 3 (9 min 57 sec)
Aug 14, 2012, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackanthem
Check out the beginning of this video. I do the exact same thing with my SR and have not had to add any weights.
Something in your tail is weighting you down?

http://youtu.be/WTLPb8lFGX8

Yeah thats what I have been saying... but WHAT?

I took a piece of dowel put it between the skids in front of the front support, took 6 5/16 Stainless steel nuts put them on the dowel and with the battery most of the way back it balanced fine.

That is WAY more than I should have to add.

I spun it up did some skidding around on the floor. it moves backwards fine but getting it to move forward is tough. I did not get it to lift off I was only in my garage (way to windy outside) and I had a box about 4 feet square to play in.

maybe tonight after work I will try and hover if the weather cooperates!

I sent a message to horizon lets see what they say. I dont want to do anything permenant to it until I hear back.. dont want to void my warranty.
Aug 14, 2012, 10:45 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
I sent a message to horizon lets see what they say. I dont want to do anything permenant to it until I hear back.. dont want to void my warranty.
Maybe put on some training gear. This thing is already a handful to hover for someone new to CPs. Try to get it away from ground effects. Have lots of space around you. Warranty will be void if it's crashed.

Quick Reply