This thread is privately moderated by CKD315, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 07, 2010, 12:24 AM
Really, I meant to do that...
Thread OP
Discussion

Hangar 9 Corsair

I'm reconstructing a Corsair that sustained damage when it fell from its ceiling mount onto a concrete floor. (previous owner, not me) Not too much damage compared to some of the "crashed" planes I've had...
Last edited by CKD315; Aug 02, 2017 at 07:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 13, 2010, 04:20 PM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Looks good! I noticed you had to cut a pretty big hole in the fuse to get the old horizontal out. At least pics make it look big. Were you able to get it filled?

I'm kinda in the same boat you are with one of these. I picked it up last year and am just now getting to it. The elevators had been sloppily installed and were not level to each other. The guy made the bend for the tail wheel too tall so it did not engage enough wood and was always breaking out. His solution was more epoxy..... it wasn't pretty.

The vertical and horizontal stabs were fine so I cut through the original hinges and removed the control surfaces. Since the other half of the CA hinges were still glued in the stabs I had to carefully dig them out. I ended up gluing in regular pin hinges and installing new control surfaces. I also had to cut off the old tail wheel wire and install a new one.

In any case, its looking pretty good now. Now I just have to clean up the retract install, retighten all the covering and maybe recenter the motor mount and she'll be ready to fly.

Mine has a Saito 1.00 on it. What are you powering yours with?

Mike
Jan 20, 2010, 11:24 PM
Really, I meant to do that...
Thread OP
I did have to cut out more wood than I would have liked to. The new elevator still fits tight and filling the gaps won't be much of a problem.

I also had to do some minor work on the retracts and I'm still not too pleased with them. From what I've seen on all the Corsair posts I have a number of options...

I'm planning on going electric and will use Hangar 9's recommended setup.

I'm looking forward to flying it as it will be my biggest warbird so far...
Last edited by CKD315; Aug 02, 2017 at 07:16 PM.

Quick Reply