View Poll Results: Which DW do/have you own/owned?
DW 28" kit 63 10.61%
DW SKUA 29 4.88%
DW 38" kit 177 29.80%
DW 48" kit 158 26.60%
DW 55" kit 71 11.95%
DW Pylon Racer 9 1.52%
Never owned one 209 35.19%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 594. You may not vote on this poll

Oct 21, 2010, 11:14 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
That's some incredible flying, Michael. Thanks for posting. Once I get this ExtFlight EDGE 540 EXP done, I'm pretty much set on picking up the DW 48" Y55 SP. I've got these 3s Zippys for a parkzone Mustang that I really don't enjoy flying. I also need a 3D foamy.

By the way, the vids that you and your brother post are pretty much the reason I got into Extreme Flight and DW models. I only wish I could fly like that. Are you using the Scorpion or Dynamo power combo from DW? I noticed the dynamo power combo is about $30 cheaper.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 21, 2010, 11:50 AM
Team Extreme!
Thanks! I had fun making it. I used the Dynamo motor and ESC. I like the scorpion motors but as you said, the Dynamo is cheaper and I think that it fits the plane very well.
BTW, enjoy your new Edge EXP! That thing is a awsome aircraft and I am sure that you will enjoy it
Oct 21, 2010, 03:42 PM
BVM & JR/DFA Rep
Yeah.. I've got the Dynamo motors in my DWs. No issues with them at all and they're priced right.
Oct 21, 2010, 11:07 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
Sounds good. I think I'll go Dynamo too for the motor.

Michael - what servos are you using in the 48" aircraft? I saw you were looking at some coronas in the EF Edge540 exp thread. I'm guessing those would work nicely in a DW 48" too?
Oct 21, 2010, 11:13 PM
Playin' for a Livin'! Fly On!!
I use 3S 2200 20C packs ( Turnigy mostly) in my 48" Extra 330 w/ landing gear. I assure you it is as fast as you would want a flat profile foamy to fly. Vertical is making the plane pretty small, pretty quick. I can hand launch at 3/4 throttle with no toss, just let go at a 45 deg. or steeper angle, and away it goes. Hovers between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle.

Unless you are really power hungry, 20C should do you fine. Spend the $$ you save on more packs.
Oct 21, 2010, 11:13 PM
Team Extreme!
I am using HS 65MGs in it. They are a very good servo for this plane if money is not an issue. I have not tried the Corona's so I can not give you any feedback on them. I will post when I have tested them.
Oct 21, 2010, 11:15 PM
Team Extreme!
Quote:
Originally Posted by helifisher
I use 3S 2200 20C packs ( Turnigy mostly) in my 48" Extra 330 w/ landing gear. I assure you it is as fast as you would want a flat profile foamy to fly. Vertical is making the plane pretty small, pretty quick. I can hand launch at 3/4 throttle with no toss, just let go at a 45 deg. or steeper angle, and away it goes. Hovers between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle.

Unless you are really power hungry, 20C should do you fine. Spend the $$ you save on more packs.
+1 to that
Oct 22, 2010, 05:53 PM

skua 33 biplane

maidened the little bipe today and it is awesome. will do all 3d moves with ease
Oct 22, 2010, 08:17 PM
The "Foaminator"
Quote:
Originally Posted by srowe
maidened the little bipe today and it is awesome. will do all 3d moves with ease
Next on my DW list that's for sure

MIke R
Oct 22, 2010, 08:30 PM
RC Guru
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcronkhite
20c 2200's aren't enough for the 48". They'll be heavy for the 40" but it depends on the kind of flying you want to do.
They are more than enough for a 48" kit. I am using a 2100 3S 16C pack, and it's more than enough.

16 x 2200 = 35.2 amps, and my setup bursts to 35 amps using a 2820-1000 Dynamo (I think that's what it is) on an APC 12x8E prop.

A 20C pack is more than enough with a 44 amp capability.
Oct 22, 2010, 08:32 PM
RC Guru
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.RICHARDS
Have you guys ever thought about seperating all this information in seperate threads by size of airframe. Make separate threads for 28", 38", 40" etc... as 3dhobbyshop has on the 3d flying section. I think it will be way easier to find information on the airframe you are looking to build instead of it all in a mess on this one thread. It's cool all hanging out in this one thread but I think after everyone is subscribed it will be the same as it is now. I think it will help DW with more exposure and too make it simpler for new buyers to research and figure out what they are looking for. Let me know what you think I would be more than happy to start them if you guys want to do that or Xpress I know you have a ton of threads here feel free. I think it would greatly help new comers and veterans.
That's one thing I do not like about the 3d forums, if you want to find something, you have to dig through every single one of the annoying threads about 3DHS. It's chaos there, and multiple times I have asked if they could have their own forum, but it wouldn't be fair apparently.

There are build threads here in the forum, but I have also linked all of them in the first post in this thread, so we don't have to constantly post new threads about builds, or whatnot.

It's basically a way to keep the forum clean, and keeps everyone in perfect harmony.
Oct 22, 2010, 08:33 PM
RC Guru
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by srowe
Fun little biplane, huh?

Pretty fun to do rollers with, I eventually got my last one setup to the point where I could hold aileron and it would roll there all day long. Everything else was just too much fun to do
Oct 23, 2010, 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
That's one thing I do not like about the 3d forums, if you want to find something, you have to dig through every single one of the annoying threads about 3DHS. It's chaos there, and multiple times I have asked if they could have their own forum, but it wouldn't be fair apparently.

There are build threads here in the forum, but I have also linked all of them in the first post in this thread, so we don't have to constantly post new threads about builds, or whatnot.

It's basically a way to keep the forum clean, and keeps everyone in perfect harmony.
Sounds good chief
Oct 25, 2010, 09:33 PM
With great pwer comes great 3D
My 450 sized motor was fun and all, but at 175 watts made my 40" Juka more like and IMAC plane with no top end speed. Out its going and the 480 with 275 watts in its place. Should be much easier to hover now
Oct 25, 2010, 09:43 PM

40" juka

Well I just couldnt get the CG right with the DA so I had to go back to the 450. Maiden today the plane flyes great much better than the 38" juka that I replaced it with.Not real happy with the paint job,I am not a painter I build vw and porsch engine.

Quick Reply