View Poll Results: Which DW do/have you own/owned?
DW 28" kit 62 10.49%
DW SKUA 29 4.91%
DW 38" kit 177 29.95%
DW 48" kit 156 26.40%
DW 55" kit 71 12.01%
DW Pylon Racer 9 1.52%
Never owned one 208 35.19%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 591. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:34 AM
rhampton is offline
Find More Posts by rhampton
Registered User
i just finished building a DWfoamy yak 54 with the help of a friend at local flying field.......The Build turned out very well. Flies very stable, even in some decent Winds..This is the 40" WS version. i plan to next get the 48" WS version since i'm a big fan of DWfoamy planes...
just thought i'd share..
Last edited by rhampton; Dec 16, 2012 at 01:58 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:47 PM
BryanEW710 is offline
Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Registered User
BryanEW710's Avatar
Love the Yak-54! Awesome bird
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:42 AM
santiago3d92095 is offline
Find More Posts by santiago3d92095
Registered User
santiago3d92095's Avatar
about to start building planes for the AMA expo,ill try to get some pics soon
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:30 AM
santiago3d92095 is offline
Find More Posts by santiago3d92095
Registered User
santiago3d92095's Avatar
AMA 2013 foamie #1
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:12 PM
rhampton is offline
Find More Posts by rhampton
Registered User
For some reason i'm not happy with the motor i choose for my 40" WS yak 54...
Here's the link to the motor.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-mars-b...20a-combo.html
i mean it's decent power but it doesnt have the pull i expected...i'm using a 10.4.7 and that's the recommended. If anyone has any of the 40" WS foamy, can you please share what Motor and esc you are using...i really want more power. i know the plane can handle...im getting very little vertical pull. it's enough to fly but that's it..i can't get any serious torque. i think i'm going to sell this and get a more powerful motor but i don't want to ad weight or increase the size in motor so any advice will be appreciated..
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:53 PM
TheMagician007 is offline
Find More Posts by TheMagician007
Registered User
TheMagician007's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhampton View Post
For some reason i'm not happy with the motor i choose for my 40" WS yak 54...
Here's the link to the motor.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-mars-b...20a-combo.html
i mean it's decent power but it doesnt have the pull i expected...i'm using a 10.4.7 and that's the recommended. If anyone has any of the 40" WS foamy, can you please share what Motor and esc you are using...i really want more power. i know the plane can handle...im getting very little vertical pull. it's enough to fly but that's it..i can't get any serious torque. i think i'm going to sell this and get a more powerful motor but i don't want to ad weight or increase the size in motor so any advice will be appreciated..
I have the 40" as we'll. why don't you order the motor from Mike at DW. Works great for me. It's the dynamo 2217-950 with 25A controller
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:39 AM
BryanEW710 is offline
Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Registered User
BryanEW710's Avatar
I've said it before and I'll say it again...it's fun to fly 3D slightly underpowered.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:54 AM
rpmrpm is offline
Find More Posts by rpmrpm
I'm going flying..........
rpmrpm's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again...it's fun to fly 3D slightly underpowered.

It will make ya a better pilot.

And I'll "second" the Dynamo motors, $ for $ they are dang good motors. If the specs are correct your motor is a little on the heavy side at 115g. The above recommended Dynamo 2217 is 72g
Last edited by rpmrpm; Dec 19, 2012 at 01:01 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:17 AM
rhampton is offline
Find More Posts by rhampton
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Avllino View Post
I have the 40" as we'll. why don't you order the motor from Mike at DW. Works great for me. It's the dynamo 2217-950 with 25A controller
Thanks...i just may order that motor...but let me ask,,do you happen to know the Watts? the one i have now is only 200W....i still haven't gotten a Watt checker yet, I'm hoping this one is at least 300W
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:16 PM
TheMagician007 is offline
Find More Posts by TheMagician007
Registered User
TheMagician007's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhampton View Post
Thanks...i just may order that motor...but let me ask,,do you happen to know the Watts? the one i have now is only 200W....i still haven't gotten a Watt checker yet, I'm hoping this one is at least 300W
Here are the specs:

http://www.dwfoamies.com/dynamo-2217-950

http://www.dwfoamies.com/dynamo-2217...25a-controller
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:38 PM
Fayya is offline
Find More Posts by Fayya
Registered User
hey how much
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:54 PM
rhampton is offline
Find More Posts by rhampton
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayya View Post
hey how much
Im sorry, are you referringto my motor & Esc?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:06 PM
Reegor is offline
Find More Posts by Reegor
Registered User
Pardon my ignorance, but isn't the prop or battery likely to be the problem here? If the motor and ESC are not overheating, then they are not the limiting factors. Either your prop is not pulling enough (and you would get the same results with any motor if you keep the same prop), or the battery is putting out as many amps as it can and you need a higher max current battery = (C x mWh)

Easiest thing to try is changing props and batteries and using a watt meter. Cheaper than changing motors and then discovering it wasn't the problem.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but on paper that's how electrical power systems work.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rhampton View Post
For some reason i'm not happy with the motor i choose for my 40" WS yak 54...
Here's the link to the motor.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-mars-b...20a-combo.html
i mean it's decent power but it doesnt have the pull i expected...i'm using a 10.4.7 and that's the recommended. If anyone has any of the 40" WS foamy, can you please share what Motor and esc you are using...i really want more power. i know the plane can handle...im getting very little vertical pull. it's enough to fly but that's it..i can't get any serious torque. i think i'm going to sell this and get a more powerful motor but i don't want to ad weight or increase the size in motor so any advice will be appreciated..
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:12 PM
rpmrpm is offline
Find More Posts by rpmrpm
I'm going flying..........
rpmrpm's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reegor View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but isn't the prop or battery likely to be the problem here? If the motor and ESC are not overheating, then they are not the limiting factors. Either your prop is not pulling enough (and you would get the same results with any motor if you keep the same prop), or the battery is putting out as many amps as it can and you need a higher max current battery = (C x mWh)

Easiest thing to try is changing props and batteries and using a watt meter. Cheaper than changing motors and then discovering it wasn't the problem.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but on paper that's how electrical power systems work.
Absolutely correct, you should always start with a watt meter analysis.

I was just to lazy to type it up like you did.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:17 PM
rhampton is offline
Find More Posts by rhampton
Registered User
Your probably right..i had these 3s 1300mag 20c Lipos for about a year now and have been using them on other planes,,but they continue to work great..so i imagine a new 30c 1300mah lipo would be some Improvement..
Havent got a watt Meter yet but will get one soon..in the mean time i guess i can try a prop size higher..will be ordering new Batteries this weekend....It's worth every effort to me to get this Foamy to Fly comfortable...
Thanks guys for the Feedback....when u need something done right,....This is the place to ask...


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini-HowTo DW Foamies - Colored Packing Tape Trim Scheme rpmrpm Painting and Finishing Tips 47 Feb 24, 2013 05:35 PM
Discussion DW foamies BAF 48" yak 54 build thread appleflyer 3D Flying 50 Jul 24, 2012 04:31 PM
Discussion DW Foamies Yak Junior Build Thread NumbSkull 3D Foamies 90 Feb 01, 2012 04:25 PM
Poll DW Foamies owners thread (poll) Xpress.. 3D Flying 132 Mar 26, 2010 12:10 PM
Discussion DW (Depron West) Foamies 38" Gen-X tdriedger 3D Foamies 14 Jan 12, 2010 05:13 PM