DW Foamies owners thread!! - Page 259 - RC Groups
View Poll Results: Which DW do/have you own/owned?
DW 28" kit 62 10.49%
DW SKUA 29 4.91%
DW 38" kit 177 29.95%
DW 48" kit 156 26.40%
DW 55" kit 71 12.01%
DW Pylon Racer 9 1.52%
Never owned one 208 35.19%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 591. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools
Mar 24, 2012, 10:35 AM
Registered User
That would work. Plus, I could give that tree some payback and use it as firewood. How dare it grab my plane and keep it like that.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 24, 2012, 01:00 PM
Pro beginner
rchelijc's Avatar
Sorry I've tried looking but there's 200+ pages!

I'm intending to transplant the 4-site guts, and I have a GWS 5030 driven by AP05 on 2S 180-240mah.

I'm thinking 22" Juka micro, or 24" Skua micro.

I would like it floaty with good 3D capabilities too - it looks like people are coming in around the 65-70g mark, is that right?

The motor/prop combo I have, I get around 110g max thrust.

Is the transplant possible? Or would I need extra parts, like aileron servos? Can I use the 4-site aileron servos?

Appreciate any help!
Mar 24, 2012, 01:14 PM
Gravity hates me.
3dRCrazy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchelijc
Sorry I've tried looking but there's 200+ pages!

I'm intending to transplant the 4-site guts, and I have a GWS 5030 driven by AP05 on 2S 180-240mah.

I'm thinking 22" Juka micro, or 24" Skua micro.

I would like it floaty with good 3D capabilities too - it looks like people are coming in around the 65-70g mark, is that right?

The motor/prop combo I have, I get around 110g max thrust.

Is the transplant possible? Or would I need extra parts, like aileron servos? Can I use the 4-site aileron servos?

Appreciate any help!
Yes! That combo will work if u build it very lightly. You could use your two aileron servos or you could buy a tiny little black servo, ipeither way would work well. I have the 22in Threlon and the 22in juka and I use the combo on the dwfoamies website. It flies great
Mar 24, 2012, 03:10 PM
Registered User
BryanEW710's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dRCrazy
Yes! That combo will work if u build it very lightly. You could use your two aileron servos or you could buy a tiny little black servo, ipeither way would work well. I have the 22in Threlon and the 22in juka and I use the combo on the dwfoamies website. It flies great
Why not buy something like this, then use the AR6400 and have two spare aileron servos
Mar 24, 2012, 09:29 PM
Pro beginner
rchelijc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710
Why not buy something like this, then use the AR6400 and have two spare aileron servos
Bryan the link doesn't work for me - could you tell me what it is?
Mar 24, 2012, 10:49 PM
Registered User
BryanEW710's Avatar
It's the TechOne Micro Pack consisting of:

C05 Brushless Motor
7A Electronic Speed Control
Three 2.5g micro Servos
GWS 5x3 and 4x2.5 Propeller

Here are the specs:

C05 Motor - kV Rating: 3700 Weight: 0.16oz (4.6g)
TL-2.5 Servo - Operating Voltage: 3-6V DC Torque: 0.2kg.cm @ 4.8V 0.35kg.cm @ 6V Speed: 0.1sec/60 at no load Weight: 0.09oz (2.5g)
Mar 25, 2012, 02:10 AM
oldguy
Tubbster: Sorry about the plane in da tree episode. Bummer! Did you get it down? I just joined Kitsap Arcs. Havent flown there yet. (but the trees are farther away)~!
Mar 25, 2012, 10:22 AM
Registered User
Chris,
As of last night, it's still up there. I was flying at Water Lane Field. I just joined EFLAPS and it was my first time flying at the field! I hope it comes down before the rain gets here because I am sure it's repairable, these planes are pretty tough!
Mar 25, 2012, 12:01 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bluhammer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubbster85
Chris,
As of last night, it's still up there. I was flying at Water Lane Field. I just joined EFLAPS and it was my first time flying at the field! I hope it comes down before the rain gets here because I am sure it's repairable, these planes are pretty tough!
How high up is it? Take a picture. I have poles that helped me get one down with a ladder that was up about 35-40 ft in a redwood tree.
Blu
Mar 25, 2012, 08:16 PM
Registered User
It's about 75ft up. Tried the fishing pole today, lost all the line on the pole and about 7 weights.
Sorry about the orientation of the picture.
Mar 25, 2012, 11:00 PM
Registered User
santiago3d92095's Avatar
Here's the maiden flight on the "on axis"!!! there was about 15mph winds but it didn't notice it at all! flew straight with out any trim.It is by far the most precise foamie I have ever flown,KE is super straight and needs no mixing what so ever.Snap rolls are amazing!! at first I thought it was going to over rotate but it stops on the spot!! and flat turns only need rudder.Down lines are really slow with the open rudders and it tracks extremely well.

I only have positive thing to say about it.

DWfoamies on axis (maiden) (3 min 19 sec)
Mar 26, 2012, 01:56 AM
oldguy
I like it! Would the On Axis handle 2200 3s lipo paks?
Mar 26, 2012, 03:01 AM
Pro beginner
rchelijc's Avatar
In preparation... I have a hobbyking epo yak(bright yellow-blue) that's literally held together by glue. Flies fine, but am looking to one day soon transplant the guts over.

Power plant: 3S 1100mah, 20A esc, 8060 props pulling measured 500-550g max static thrust, with 4x 9g servos

Any recommendations on which dw foamie would be good? I'm looking for excellent 3D and slow flight.
Mar 26, 2012, 07:06 AM
Registered User
BryanEW710's Avatar
I'd think a 38" or 40" plane would do fine with that.
Mar 26, 2012, 08:06 AM
PA, WMPF & HE Team Pilot
AndreasHeger's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by santiago3d92095
Here's the maiden flight on the "on axis"!!! there was about 15mph winds but it didn't notice it at all! flew straight with out any trim.It is by far the most precise foamie I have ever flown,KE is super straight and needs no mixing what so ever.Snap rolls are amazing!! at first I thought it was going to over rotate but it stops on the spot!! and flat turns only need rudder.Down lines are really slow with the open rudders and it tracks extremely well.

I only have positive thing to say about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXkzZ...26AUAAAAAAAAAA
EXCELLENT!
Absolutely sharp snaps and precise!
Perfect for practicing your IMAC in your backyard!


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini-HowTo DW Foamies - Colored Packing Tape Trim Scheme rpmrpm Painting and Finishing Tips 47 Feb 24, 2013 05:35 PM
Discussion DW foamies BAF 48" yak 54 build thread appleflyer 3D Flying 50 Jul 24, 2012 04:31 PM
Discussion DW Foamies Yak Junior Build Thread NumbSkull 3D Foamies 90 Feb 01, 2012 04:25 PM
Poll DW Foamies owners thread (poll) Xpress.. 3D Flying 132 Mar 26, 2010 12:10 PM
Discussion DW (Depron West) Foamies 38" Gen-X tdriedger 3D Foamies 14 Jan 12, 2010 05:13 PM