Jan 06, 2010, 11:16 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

DW (Depron West) Foamies 38" Gen-X

Hey Guys,

I'm looking at the DWF 38" Gen-X. I've been flying "traditional" aerobatics on my T-28 and UM P-51. It looks like the Gen-X would be a good plane to start learning 3D and still be able to do some of the pattern stuff in the baseball field near my house.

Any opinions on this or suggestions for other planes?

Thanks,

Tim
to remove ads between posts
Jan 06, 2010, 11:20 AM
100% addicted to RC :)
Yeah...its a good plane...but DW doesn't make a bad plan, believe it or not. I am a huge fan of the Yak because it is a do it all type of plane. My only suggestion is that if you can afford the 48", get it...they are supposed to be really fun to fly. I am going to be getting a 38" (or hopefully 48") DW at the AMA show on Friday.
Jan 06, 2010, 11:28 AM
Thread OP
I've got most of the parts I need for the 38" lying around so I'll probably get that one for now. Are you getting the Gen-X or the YAK?

Any opinions out there on the Gen-X vs YAK?
Jan 06, 2010, 01:07 PM
100% addicted to RC :)
If I get a 48" kit on Friday at the show, I will be getting the Extra 330...it gets really rave reviews, so I think I'll try that one. I haven't flown the Gen-X but have seen it fly and it is a nice pattern plane.

If you are looking for light 3D plus light pattern, the Yak is a great choice. For all out 3D and shredding the Juka is the plane. For pattern and precision, its all about the Gen-X. But, they are all great flying planes that can all be 3D'd. Some are just stronger in some areas then others.
Jan 06, 2010, 04:10 PM
BOXFUSE KING!
My favorite pilot, shredding with 38" JUKA:

Huckin' a DW Foamies Juka (6 min 51 sec)

one of the best flying DwFoamies + Mike Morgan is an awesome guy with all around great service.

mayday.
Jan 06, 2010, 04:56 PM
RC Guru
Okay, I have a valid opinion on both, seeing as I've owned numerous 38" Yaks, and have my first DW Gen-X 38".

The Yak is really fun to throw around, and have a ball with. The Gen-X will do all of the same stuff but with more precision it feels. It's very crisp in snap rolls, and is very clean performing stuff, like KE, rolling circles, inverted, ect. ect.

I have mine up to 15.3oz with the DW Flite Lights and even so it still flies incredibly clean, no bad tendencies to wing rock or tip stall ect. pulling out of maneuvers or harrier

I'd say, if you want to have a ball, and have something to toss around, then go with the Yak. If you want to do everything with extreme precision and have a crisp flying airframe, then go with the Gen-X.

Oh, and as for the 38" Juka if you're wondering, it performs REALLY well with anything 3D, and does very clean spins on the downline
Jan 06, 2010, 06:19 PM
Team Extreme!
I like them both. The Gen-X is going to track a little better than the yak but if all you want to do is 3D I would get the yak. It is all personal prefrance. But no matter what plane you get from DW you cant go wrong! All there planes are VERY good.
Michael

PS: Here is a little freestyle that I made with my DW 38" yak-54. I had only flown it 2 times so it is not the greatest but I had fun!

Michael Holman's (MichaelJH) freestyle for the PFFC (4 min 22 sec)
Jan 06, 2010, 07:58 PM
BOXFUSE KING!
WOW! ...what do you mean it's not the greatest, that was awesome flying! I really enjoyed it. Thanks for posting.

mayday
Jan 06, 2010, 08:35 PM
Team Extreme!
Thanks, glad you liked it! That was for a little foamy contest that I entered. It was fun.

Michael
Jan 06, 2010, 09:04 PM
RC Guru
^Lol, you and your brother both placed in the top 2 with those videos
Jan 08, 2010, 11:11 AM
I have had three of the 38" Gen-X and really enjoy them. That said, for precision, I'm going to try one of the foamies with an airfoil wing next time. Kalteisan or 3DX Hobbies. My Gen-X flies fine, but wind bothers it some and it really doesn't snap or spin like balsa planes with airfoiled wings. Great for 3D practice though.....
Jan 08, 2010, 01:56 PM
RC Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit-N-Fly
I have had three of the 38" Gen-X and really enjoy them. That said, for precision, I'm going to try one of the foamies with an airfoil wing next time. Kalteisan or 3DX Hobbies. My Gen-X flies fine, but wind bothers it some and it really doesn't snap or spin like balsa planes with airfoiled wings. Great for 3D practice though.....
I 100% disagree. Mine blows right through the wind like it's not even there! Mine also spins better than a PA Katana
Jan 08, 2010, 05:30 PM
The Kalteisen and the 3DX Hobby planes also have semi-full fuselages which give them a bigger presence in the air. That will allow you a better precision experience and the airfoiled wings will allow you to practice full aerodynamic stalls for spin and snap maneuvers.
Jan 08, 2010, 06:10 PM
I have the 38 inch Edge and I have not been that happy with it. Seems to go into a KE when turning but will not continue the turn easily even with a lot of elevator. Handles much different than any other foamy or 3D Hobby Shop Model. I have flown the Yak 38 and it does not have that tendency. Other people I fly with have also noted the peculiarity. I have tried many different throw and expo settings. The model is effected by torque more than my other models balsa, foamy with or without airfoil. Any suggestions. I would recommend the Yak which my flying friends love.

Thanks
Jan 12, 2010, 05:13 PM
Team Extreme!
Notice that they don't sell the edge any more. The yak and others are newer better planes. I highly recommend them. I have never flown the edge but the new genaration does not have any of those habits.

Michael

Quick Reply