Jan 05, 2010, 12:22 PM
tender
Thread OP
Question

Which model for FXJ (Altitude Limited Electric Soaring) ?

Till this time we used models primary developed for F5J category also for ELECTRIC POWERED HEIGHT LIMITED CONTEST . Usually there was only a smaller amount of cells in battery because the fact HOW FAST YOUR EP GLIDER CLIMBS IS NOT DECIDING in this category! More important is the low weight and ability of your model to fly in weak thermal conditions.

Our first model especially developed for FXJ ( F5J-200m) category was BOLERO 87“ powered by S-Neu 1110 geared 5,8:1 operated by 3S Li-Pol 2200 mAh battery. Details can be found here : http://www.rivamodels.sk/PPP/workshop/workshop04.html
BOLERO has also itīs version with enlarged wing span to 2980 mm with the same power setup. We tested V-tail and Classic tail version.
Details : http://www.rivamodels.sk/PPP/workshop/workshop05.html

After last flying period experiences there was shown a need of massive models with larger wing span while we are interested in reasonable ratio between weight and robustness.
We would like to present our models during International Contest FXJ (F5J-200m) which is going to be organized again in Holic (after perfect results of last yearsīs one) on the 9th of July 2010 (the day before F5J EURO).

You can have a look into our workshops, rating progress, adding comments, proposals and questions...
We are glad If you will join us and reveal your FXJ (F5J-200m) secrets.

Marko & Palo
Last edited by tender; Feb 02, 2010 at 08:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 05, 2010, 01:22 PM
I participated in F5J category last year and many aspects persuaded me that for FXJ there has to be model which was projected from the beginning specially for this kind of contests.
126" wingspan, total weight 1,6 kg and AG 46 wing profile makes it appropriate for high performance. Model is powered by MVVS 5,6/960 engine (very reliable motor, can just recommnend it http://mvvs.cz/elektromotory_e.html). There are 4 servos in wing fully controlling flaps and ailerons. We predict itīs performance of gliding close to 0,3 m/s.
Detailed specifications comming soon.

Happy Landings
Marko
Last edited by Marko Gala; Jan 05, 2010 at 02:10 PM.
Jan 05, 2010, 02:48 PM
tender
Thread OP
Blue model in the picture is my older SALSA 123“ (wingspann 3125 mm). Power: S-NEU 1506/_3D and 4S A123
My new SALSA–XL will be bigger 123+12.3= 135“ (wingspann 3436 mm). Power: S-NEU 1506/1.5D and 3S A123
It seems, total weight will be approx. 1550-1650 g. So wing loading will be no more as 23 g/dm2.
I hope, it will be ready for maiden flight in end of January.
Last edited by tender; Jan 07, 2010 at 03:18 AM.
Jan 09, 2010, 10:52 AM
tender
Thread OP

daily progress

Salsa XL - middle part of the wings
Jan 09, 2010, 12:17 PM

"In search of excellence"

Updated - partially covered tail parts... cables, ailerons, joiners and reinforcements into wing.
Jan 10, 2010, 07:09 AM
I think the poly or sky sergio would be ideal for this..
..a
Jan 10, 2010, 07:50 AM
Jesper Frickmann
A high powered hotliner. It can "zoom" to 2X the cut-off altitude!
Jan 10, 2010, 09:17 AM
tender
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W
I think the poly or sky sergio would be ideal for this..
..a
Yes Andy, you is right... But if you have hand made model, you have bigger satisfaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrickmann
A high powered hotliner. It can "zoom" to 2X the cut-off altitude!
Impossible... RC-ALTI devices are working with "antizoom" software. Is too hard reach "plus altitude" if device is justified right.

Regards
Palo

You can come and try... 2-nd International FXJ Competitions / July 9-th / Holic - Slovakia (than F5J EURO on July 10/11 on the same airfield)
Jan 18, 2010, 05:40 AM
Hi Palo,
can you discribe us the way the antizoom software is working in the altimeter ?
Jan 18, 2010, 06:59 AM
tender
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staylow
Hi Palo, can you discribe us the way the antizoom software is working in the altimeter ?
Yes, I can...
But my english is too low, so I will send you explanation as Private Message only. If you understand, than you can explane it in right english here

Palo
Jan 18, 2010, 07:23 AM
tender
Thread OP

daily progress with SALSA-XL

Maiden flight coming soon (I hope )
Jan 18, 2010, 08:10 AM

Bolero

Hi Palo

I picked up 2 of the Bolero kits recently from the Aussie distributor
and hope to complete the first one as a R/E polyhedral model using
a Hobby City KA22-20L outrunner.

This is my first foray into a F5J style model after years of own design
speed 400 models.

At the moment I am having the devil of a time trying to find plastic
tubing (1mm ID) to run the wire control rods. Hopefully I will have
it completed soon before our summer weather disappears.

At a local club show&tell a flyer had one of your ARF predecessor
models to the Bolero - it was beautiful and hope to emulate
the quality of the build.

regards

Alex
Jan 18, 2010, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tender
Yes, I can...
But my english is too low, so I will send you explanation as Private Message only. If you understand, than you can explane it in right english here

Palo
Ok Palo,
I will try to understand your "bad" english and translate it in my own. Beware everyone it is not my native language !
Jan 18, 2010, 08:41 AM
I assume the alti knows the vertical speed and calculates roughly how much extra zoom the plane has and cuts off early.

Since an altimeter only knows vertical speed, you could fly very fast horizontally at 190m then zoom. By the time the alti recognized the increase in vertical speed, it would be too late. This would require some pilot skill and practice to know where 190m was.

I think in theory, you could zoom, but it might be hard to do and pretty easly to make rules to prevent. A zoom would be pretty obvious.
Jan 18, 2010, 08:52 AM
turn, turn, turn.
I'm also sure that peer preasure (not to mention common ethics), would keep zooming a non-issue.

The height limiter is there so everybody knows that they are starting at the same height....(In my opinion, not to keep people honest).

Quick Reply