Jan 04, 2010, 09:31 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
Discussion

AMA safety code rule 4 rewritten: 2010 AMA safety code rule 5

Quote:

5. I will not fly my model aircraft in sanctioned events, air shows, or model demonstrations unless I have previously proven that my aircraft, control system, and piloting skills are adequate by successfully executing all maneuvers intended or anticipated in the specific event. If I am not a proficient pilot, I will not fly in these events unless assisted by an experienced pilot.
I don't have a copy of the old safety code here handy, but it looks like they did rewrite the old version, as the new safety code has the bold parts posted above as bold parts in the new version of the safety code.

Anyone have any comments?

I know of one fly in type event that would like to work out some way to have a build and fly on-site type event for small electric models, if some way could be found to do so......
Latest blog entry: My 2022 event schedule.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 04, 2010, 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B
I don't have a copy of the old safety code here handy, but it looks like they did rewrite the old version, as the new safety code has the bold parts posted above as bold parts in the new version of the safety code.

I know of one fly in type event that would like to work out some way to have a build and fly on-site type event for small electric models, if some way could be found to do so......
Either this rule is actually an oath or the guy that wrote it can't fly proficiently sometimes...seriously, most guys think their skills are adequate...sometimes…that part about proficiency will only give people something to argue over...and I am the first… LOL.
Jan 05, 2010, 01:40 AM
BFMAC Founding Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B

Make it a non-sanctioned event.
Jan 05, 2010, 04:44 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
That's a good question Tom. I agree how this would be an exciting event for planes that could be built during a sanctioned event. It seems "unfair" that one would have to wait until after hours to maiden the aircraft.

A rule change/re-wording would definitely be needed. I think it would be worth pursuing, especially with the popularity of electric models that can be built very quickly.

Frank
Jan 05, 2010, 09:18 AM
Team Futaba
Since this would not be an every day event, why not simply put it in the sanction application as a waiver? Talk to your District Sanction coordinator and maybe Greg Hahn about what it is you want to do and I'll bet you can get a single event waiver.
Jan 05, 2010, 11:04 AM
Hobby Lobby held a rather unique event at NEAT Fair a few yars ago. A raffle was held and a number of contestants were chosen by drawing--6 I believe. They were given a kit of an ARF trainer. The first contestant to assemble and fly the plane won a gift certificate. It ws a fun event and I really don't beleve HL got back the cost of the kits.

BM
Jan 05, 2010, 12:25 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by abel pranger
Make it a non-sanctioned event.
Certainly an option, but not a path available in this particular case.

The event is already sanctioned and this is a small side fun competition thing.

Also, if others want to have events of this sort, it would always be prefered to have the publicity afforded by having the event sanctions and listed on the AMA website and in Model Aviation.
Jan 05, 2010, 01:54 PM
I should have gone bit further. The event mentioned in my post included airplanes that were not previously flown and the participants by virtue of the way they were chosen were not necessarily AMA members even though the NEAT Fair is an AMA sanctioned event.
Violation of the rule in question?
I have no clue.

BM
Jan 05, 2010, 03:01 PM
Suspended Account
IRCHA was planning a "Heli build Contest"....... you build it and the first to fly would win. The AMA got wind it and it got changed.

As Silent-AV8R said, just get a waiver in the event sanction........ should be easy for small electric models.
Jan 05, 2010, 07:32 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
I have heard from certain sources that the AMA will not waiver a safety rule. If they will, the problem is solved.

I posted this topic over in the AMA forums to get a response from the AMA......
Jan 05, 2010, 11:43 PM
Dieselized User
You'll need Intro Pilot instructors on buddy boxes with the new pilots. I understand that build and fly would be for people new to the hobby. The Intro Pilot program is just for that.

Greg
Jan 06, 2010, 12:33 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamysz
You'll need Intro Pilot instructors on buddy boxes with the new pilots. I understand that build and fly would be for people new to the hobby. The Intro Pilot program is just for that.

Greg

Sometimes this would be true, for certain types of build and fly events.

However, the one we have in mind is not for beginners, it is for teams with a mix of experienced modelers of various levels.

I emailed Greg Hahn with this, who deferred to the lady in charge of safety at the AMA. She is setting up at the AMA Convention this week and sent a note saying that she will weigh in soon on this question.
Jan 06, 2010, 04:32 PM
Thomas,

Happy New Year.

Please keep us informed, since AMA itself runs many build/fly/take events at trade shows/conventions, EAA's Oshkosh, etc. Granted these are mostly AMA Cubs/Delta Darts and some rockets (!) but seems to me a precedent has been set by the organization already.

tk
Jan 10, 2010, 04:37 PM
MN WATTS Master
The old rule has been discussed to death with no clear explanation even from AMA.

See a previous thread f rom this last year. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1061009
Jan 11, 2010, 06:09 PM
check for reversed controls
I wonder if a wind up delta dart has ever hit a spectator in the eye.

Quick Reply