Jan 03, 2010, 11:07 PM
Kraut
Build Log

Robbe Atlantis, Last stupidity in 2009

Ha, since this would make the first building log in this new forum, I am unwillingly going to be proper.
I hope this will satisfy his almightyness of the highsees and I prevent to get keelhauled that early in the year.
Out of a ton of beer money, the huge box arived on Saurday. I ordered only the kit, no ballast, it is a chunk of cast ironweighting around 25 pounds and expensive plus freight around 120 beers, no auxilery motor kit, I will sail this Lady and not drive her, no planking kit expensive and suposedly not of real quality and at the present without the fittings kit, that one I will eventually have to order.
But right now my checkbook needs a breather.

She is a really big moma.

After I opened the box, I made a short inventory, every thing seams to be there and in good shape. The hull has a few minor scratches, but nothing serious.
I checked the hull against a light and was surprised not to see any thin spot.
The hull is ABS.

First things first, I built a stand, had some 3/4 ply lying around and mounted on a folding stand, can move it up and down and mounted somw wheels under it.

So next making a mold for the keel balast. Since Gypsum type plastar is not available at the butt of the world, I am using Quickrete fast setting concret.
The stuff comes in a bucket and is easy to mix.
Inside the keel I stuffed a trash plastic bag, well and than I poured about a coffee can of the stuff into the bag, sloshed it around and pulled the wrinkels out of the bag as good as possible. Than I stuck 2 corne cone forks into it, handels to get it out again.
Now it cures and I hope that I can get it out again tomorrow, if not plan B, which I don't know jet.

Kutting torch or jake-hammer ?

While that stuff is doing its thing I sanded the deck down. Took the burs of and roughed up for glue to stick on it. Did the same on the inside.

Cut out the reinforcement for the shroud anckers, ABS, and than preped them for glueing. They go underneath the deck.

One thing I do not like, exept for the parts locater plan, none of the plans are scale.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 04, 2010, 10:03 AM
Kraut
The plug came out without the use of a hammer.
Now I will let it dry out completly and than fine tune it, get ridd of the wrinckles and smooth the overall shape.
Jan 04, 2010, 08:19 PM
Kraut
The plug got its wrinkles taken care of, dry wall mud, and is drying in front of the stove.
Tomorrow I will poure the the actual lead mold. That thing will need several days to dry.

So now I have to think about the rc setup.
Robbe runs all sails with one servo, a winch with a endless set up.

I have 4 sails to control. I realy like how I can work the 2 sails, jib and main, with a 2 servo setup on my Fairwinds. It is like real sailing, because I can trim the boat constantly acording to the wind and what angle I have to the wind.

My Idea, jib on a servo, the two mains on a servo and maybe the gafel ( ? ) on a third servo.

One more thing I have to find out a good source for planking wood, mahogany and others.

If anybody has some ideas, I would be rather glad to hear them.
Jan 06, 2010, 09:10 PM
Kraut
The order for the deck planks went out, Wayne Contin. I decided to do the deck in Maple and Mahogany.
The mold for the keel is curing. I went to my local Big O, ruined his New Year with my presence and bought lead weights, $1 per pound, got around 30 pounds.
Than I spent 30 minutes to melt the steelclips of with the cutting torch.
Probably by Friday, Fryday, I will melt some led and do the keel.

Should be fun.

blubber, like Yellowstone, but hopefully no geisir.

Nice warm day today, 41 F
Jan 07, 2010, 09:27 PM
Kraut
The Planks are very reasonable, 108 2 feet x 5mmx1.5 Maple, 8 2 feet, 7.5x1.5 and 4 2 feet, 10x1.5 come to $45 including shipping.

Had a little set back today, had to have my upper jaw opened up so some abzessed sinus could drain. Look like Elephant Man and feel as if a horse has kicked me on the kisser.

If I can move around tomorrow I might try to do the ballast, but feeding my horses to night about did me in.
Jan 08, 2010, 05:19 PM
Kraut
Modern medicine is great, especialy if it works. One day you feel as if you have been a hoodornament of a Peterbuilt and next day wonder what happened yesterday.

I cast the leadweight today, went surprisingly well. I ended up with a very nice shunk of lead and it fits very good.
I ended up with 23 pounds, that will give me probably 2 to 4 pounds to ballance her later. Probably 4 since I will not install a motor and the battery for the motor
Jan 08, 2010, 07:32 PM
Nice job, Schrott!
Jan 08, 2010, 07:46 PM
Grumpa Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded
Nice job, Schrott!
Ditto!

Glad you are feeling better too.
Jan 11, 2010, 03:31 PM
Kraut
Thanks guys,
Those abzesses breaking through into my mouth hurt more than a broken leg, extremly painfull and now that the swellings are gone I look like after a good old fashioned bar-fight, blue and yellow.
Now finally everybody has a chance to win a beautycontest aginst me.

The lead weight is smaller than the cast iron and rides far deeper in he hull, I wonder how much that will improove sailing.

I got the rudder installed including servo mount. I built my own servo set up. Robbe has it all in plastic and parts of that plastic sheet are warped.

I am not very happy with the stiffnes of the deck, even with all the supports as per plan it still flexes quiet easily, 2 rather tall masts and 4 sails, I guess I will have to built some frames to stiffen it up.
Jan 13, 2010, 11:04 PM
Kraut
Since I did not like the stability of the deck, especialy having to carry those large mast and sails I built some support ribbs.
That was an interesting task, since I can not look inside the hull. I cut cardboard templates that would trace the outside shape of hull and than transvered those shapes onto playwood.
That gave me about 90% od a fit. The rest was feelig with my fingers, tracing lines with a pencil along the hull and guess work.
They aint 100%.
Glueing them in was a nother experiance. I basicly wore the hull like a hat, trying to see were I was putting the glue. There are still a few gaps I do not like which I want to fill with expoxy.
But they sure make a differance the deck is now stiff and will not cave or flex under the load of the masts and sails.

I got my wood strips in.Nice stuff Wayne Cantin does very nice work and he is very generous with extra strips.
The Maple is exactly what I wanted, very fine graine and very white, the Mahogany should make a nice contrast.

I started to prep the hull for the planking and have been thinking about the lay out and if I should go with a curved or straight.
Than around the masts is a rail type afair and I decided that the planking should take this into account.

One thing I am not sure jet, what glue would be best to attach the wood to the ABS Deck
Jan 13, 2010, 11:09 PM
You are making nice progress Schrott! Great job fairing the rudder into the keel!
Jan 13, 2010, 11:51 PM
Schrott,

Nice build log you've got going.. Reminds me when I built mine while stationed in Germany.. Had such a great time building it and then sailing, I went out an bought another. That was back in '89. I still have both and they look as good as ever!

Best of luck on your build!!

Bill
Jan 14, 2010, 12:47 AM
Kraut
Hi Bill

I noticed on your two that they have differant shaped rudders, any reason for it.

Beautifull pair, you still get them wet ?

Aeromind I am just plugging along and thank you for your kind remarks.

I made up my mind concerning laundry controll.

The 2 mains on one servo, not a winch, arm

I intend to run the gaffel ( ? ) through the same servo as the mains but than have the rope run through a additional servo so I can trim it on the fly.
I have to study the manual of transmitter, never looked at it, if there is a way to program it that it rans 2 servos on 2 differant chanells over the same stick at time and than change to individual servo controll.
Jib on its own servo.
But the RC stuff is way down the road.
Planking the deck is next and that will take some time and probably will stretch my patients to the limit.
I will remove all hammers, chain saws from this shop.
Jan 14, 2010, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrott
Planking the deck is next and that will take some time and probably will stretch my patients to the limit.
I will remove all hammers, chain saws from this shop.
Schrott,
It's really not that bad, unless you plan to simulate caulking between the planks, Then it can get a little tedious!

Keep up the good work! It's been awhile since I worked on my Atlantis, but it looks like you're doing a great job on yours.

Bill; That's really something to see TWO Atlantis on your cabinet top! Kool

Quick Reply