Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 03, 2010, 02:50 PM
SSMA #01M9382, AMA #137824
Discussion

Stevens Aero Aeromodel Waterboard Electric Airboat Build Thread

I just started building the Waterboard. After seeing the review in RC Driver magazine, I just had to have one! I'm into R/C planes, boats and cars. This little dude is the best of all worlds...spinning propeller, fun on the water, and fast!

Pictures coming soon! Here's RC Driver's video of it. Kewl!

Waterboard RC Airboat RC Driver Magazine (4 min 28 sec)
Last edited by HelloScott; Jan 17, 2010 at 08:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 03, 2010, 03:20 PM
OK, so here's the framework. Talk about a perfect fit...wow!

The laser cutting in the kit is really nice too.
Last edited by HelloScott; Jan 03, 2010 at 03:26 PM.
Jan 03, 2010, 03:29 PM
The framework went together flawlessly. All the pieces fit without modification (can you say Dumas Swamp Buggy?). I opted to brush on the Deft to waterproof the radio/battery area inside at this point due to not wanting to go in the garage. Too cold out there!

I've used Deft in the past for refinishing furniture. Brushing it with a light steel wool in between coats puts on a beautiful "hand rubbed" looking finish. Deft is good stuff.
Last edited by HelloScott; Jan 03, 2010 at 03:39 PM.
Jan 03, 2010, 03:36 PM
The bottom was already cut to fit, so you don't even have to do a final trim other than just sanding it after attachment. I liked their method of attaching the bottom and then going in to glue each and every joint before putting on the deck. Makes for a baseball bat strong hull!

The final photo, the top deck is going on. Another perfect fit. I'm really tempted to cover the top of mine with a pretty wood veneer of some sort. But, I'll probably go with paint. I'd just be adding weight. Not good for an "air" boat in terms of power to weight ratio.
Jan 03, 2010, 03:38 PM
I forgot to show you how I clamped the front of the nose to get it to be even there. I wanted even pressure while the glue set so that it would be nice and flat.
Jan 03, 2010, 03:43 PM
While the hull was setting and I'd added a couple more coats of Deft to waterproof the insides, I began working on the pylon. No surprises here either. Note that the cut out for the servo is larger on one side piece than the other. Make sure and pick the one that fits your servo an install it on the port side.

After the pylon was together, I went and sprayed the inside of it with Deft. Want to get it was waterproof as possible too.
Jan 03, 2010, 03:47 PM
I couldn't resist looking at the little dynamo brushless motor and propeller combination. Remember, you need to put the propeller on backwards from the way you would if you were doing a traditional aircraft. You also need to use one of the little black shaft adapters to get the prop to center properly on the motor shaft.

I have a couple of 8.4v NiMH batteries around that I use in my GWS Slow Stick. I emailed Stephens Aero and they said that they thought they would be OK for this use. I also have some standard 6 cell 7.4v car packs that I can use as well.

Its starting to look like a airboat!
Jan 03, 2010, 03:54 PM
The instructions didn't say anything much about building the rudder. Its pretty much just putting together three pieces that need to be glued together. However, alignment is important at this step!

I used the music wire hinge rod to help me eyeball the alignment of the upper eye and control horn eye so that as the glue set, it was parallel to the rudder itself. I thought about rounding the leading edge, of the rudder, but I thought about that after I put the hinge points on. Doh! So, I'll just leave it as is.

The last shot shows it placed together. I can picture it completed now. This is going to be one fun boat!
Jan 03, 2010, 09:11 PM
Nice work Scott!

Cant wait to see how you finish this one out!!!

What size prop came with that motor?
Jan 03, 2010, 09:25 PM
You can get pusher props here.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...3&v=&sortlist=
Bob Big
Jan 03, 2010, 10:25 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Looks great!

looking forward to seeing your finished work! Subscribed.

-Bill
Jan 05, 2010, 09:15 AM
I was thinking of getting one of these also.
the rudder how it is attached looks really weak to me for a air boat though?
Jan 05, 2010, 10:05 AM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Actually it is quite strong. The hardened wire mast is supported by both decks and passes through a water tight aluminum bearing. The mast is plenty stiff for normal steering loads but will allow flex on impact with the water/shore/etc should you capsize at high speeds or find yourself drifting into that stump at the waters edge.

I designed a weak link on the fin system where the ply hinges that ride on the mast secure to the fin. The hinges should be CA'd in place to the fin and the joint has been designed in such a way that a sharp sudden impact will often separate the fin clean at the CA joint to the hinge. The intent of all of this was to save the steering servo and hull from as much damage as possible in the event of a high speed crash.
Jan 05, 2010, 11:34 AM
Hi just how fast is this thing on a 2S lipo do you have a ball park MPH speed?
I am used to fast electric boats and don't want something that is so slow it's borng to run..... I need some speed!!!
Jan 05, 2010, 11:42 AM
Closed Account

build thread

The air rudder is strong and if it breaks, just make a new one including the hinges. Now it takes 20 minutes to make a new one and after building is done, just use thinned epoxy like 5 minute and let dry and paint. The key to air rudder is to have the air rudder square to the transom and transom edges at the bottom sharp so water will break off and won't cause drag. I put my servo in the hull and remains dry and used a plastic 1/8" tube going diagonally and caed in and put grease in tube so water won't enter, stays dry. Now mine, i put car tire wheel weight in each side before top is on for balance when gliding sideways and rounded my bottom edges to 1/8" that came with the kit. My wire was a hair to short, so i used piano wire for the servo. Now after painting, i used wetdry 2000 sandpaper and water which smoothed the bottom close to a babies *** to reduce drag. I tried a car motor at first with high rpm and a 7 x 4 apc but was a dog. Lipo was a 2200 25c 7.4. I have other airboats and one is 12 1/4" x 24" with a 36 50 3300 bl with a 9 x 6 apc on 2 -7.4 25c 2200 in parallel and flies, so does juice in the lipos in runtime, but fun.***** reptileman, thing is boats either go straight or in circles where airboat do donuts and slide sideways in a circle and don't catch weeds in the prop but glide over and are fun. Now before i die, i want to buy a float plane to take off from water and land on water, just to see if i can do it, thats a challenge. Speed boat and airboats are easy but planes is a different story and alot harder.
Last edited by Mikedown; Jan 05, 2010 at 11:50 AM.

Quick Reply