This thread is privately moderated by Michael Heer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 02, 2010, 09:47 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Upgrading my electric gliders for 2010

2009 was the year I transitioned to being primarily on 2.4GHz and so far it has worked very well. I decided that I wanted to upgrade my electric gliders and started the process at the end of last year. For my Radian I purchased a new pair of wings and gave them a custom red, white and blue paint job. I did a little touch up gluing to resecure the elevator control rod tube to the fuselage and she still flies great.
For my Electric trout POQUITO I removed the geared speed 400 motor and installed an E-flite brushless 400, a 3-cell Lipo 1300 pack and a small 6 inch folding prop. the Poquito is considerably lighter and I can use a smaller battery if desired as it rests under the wing. I wasn't able to get it to fly on the 1st but she flew today. The plane climbs faster and has a beter glide ratio with the reduced weight. Plenty of punch to get through wind. Just a sweet little glider.
I have a Mini Ellipse with two fuselages. One for pure gliding at slope or thermal and one with a brushless motor. I previously had a motor far to large geared brushless inline motor and folding prop for her and with which she easily went 100 miles per hour under power. Now she has the same small outrunner brushless E-flte motor and prop that powers the E-flite Ascent glider. Her speed under power is greatly reduced and the spinner looks way to large on her but she climbs well and thermaled yesterday and this afternoon better then she ever has before and that includes with the pure glider fuselage. Speed in a dive is still impressive. She is simply a much better glider then she was with her previous set-up.
Both the Poquito and the Mini Ellipse have one piece wings although only 60 inches or less in total wingspan. My final small electric glider is the E-flite Ascent brushless. It has not been modified as of yet and has plenty of power.
While it is nice to start a new project and new planes are fun I have gotten a lot of enjoyment with the modifications and improvements I have made to my existing small electirc glider force. They can all be powered with the same batteries with 800 3-cell packs for limited motor run maximum glide on calm day conditions and 1300 3-cell packs for more motor run and/or weight for penetration on windy days.
Next will be testing a new motor/ESC/battery combination in a new Multiplex Merlin and then tinkering with my two larger electric gliders.
Last edited by Michael Heer; Jan 02, 2010 at 09:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply