Jan 02, 2010, 09:32 PM
Thread OP
Question

CL throttle control?

Hello to all and Happy New Year. I am 65 and getting back into CL flying. Nothing fancy but I think I would have fun if I could control the engine. Does anyone have any suggestions about which system (RC-one channel, 3 wire, 2 wire? insulated for electric? control, etc??) would be the simplest. Also do I need to buy an engine that has a carburator to control? Years ago I had a set up that controlled the opening of the exhaust (I never used it).
Thanks for any help. I really enjoy reading the many different threads in this website.. Brian Kratz
to remove ads between posts
Jan 03, 2010, 01:00 AM
------
Clancy Arnold has the solution for you:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0&postcount=18
Much better than the 3 lines set-up. Brodack sells isolated C/L cables too:
http://www.brodak.com/shop.php?CategoryID=79
Jan 03, 2010, 05:16 AM
Thread OP
Hi Coriolan,
Thank you for the information. Have a good 2010!!
Brian K.
Jan 03, 2010, 07:57 AM
Will fly for food
Heck, I would find a DX6 or DX5e and use radio to control the throttle.

But I am not a purist.
Jan 03, 2010, 10:39 AM
I think the old JRoberts handles and bell cranks are still available. I have not tried electric but I suspect JR is much simpler. Of course, 3 lines tange exponentially more than 2....

howell
Jan 03, 2010, 01:43 PM
------
The advantage of Clancy system is the actual simplicity (no mechanical link and cable lenght to adjust). The basic system (trottle only)require only one small servo to actuate the trottle and a small 4.8V pack on board to power the electronic. The multi channel system open the door to a lot of options for scale applications: Trottle,retract,flaps,bomb drop etc... This type of extra controls as been used for a long time in scale control line but there is few commercial unit beside Clancy. To use a standard Tx is not as convenient as having all controls on the handle. And yes happy new year to all
Jan 04, 2010, 03:23 PM
I am 5' 8" the Taube is 7' 4"
Brian
Welcome back to Control Line flying.

I thought I should speak up in case you have any questions about my units.

As Coriolan stated my units work through the two flying lines. Insulated flying lines are recommended and the lead outs/bellcrank and the handle need to be isolated so that they don't short the flying lines together.

The easy way to do it is use a nylon or phenolic bellcrank in the model and a wooden handle that has the line attachments bolted on. See picture.

The handle pictured is my new Universal U/Tronics Handle design for use with either Glow or Electric power. The red knob sets your cruse speed and the trigger gives you full throttle.

Clancy
Last edited by Clancy Arnold; Jan 04, 2010 at 03:47 PM. Reason: add to statement.
Jan 04, 2010, 03:25 PM
BOYCOTT SCAMAZON
ha, always thought it would be a real trick to be flying u/c with someone hiding with a transmitter and the guy flying would release the lines
Jan 04, 2010, 10:06 PM
Clancy, do you have a website or some lit you could email me? I'm sure others would like to know as well.

howell
Jan 05, 2010, 08:06 AM
I am 5' 8" the Taube is 7' 4"
Howell
In the Vendors Corner on www.StuntHangar.com forum I have posted information on my U/Tronics Control units both Single Channel and Multi Channel (4 to 7 channels). Or send me an E-mail and I will reply with any information you may need.

[email protected]

Clancy
Jan 05, 2010, 09:24 PM

OH no

Way back when the first servos came out several guys had ALREADY found out that blips of + or - volts moving a exhaust plate baffle worked perfectly. NO bull.
I have a virgin Mc Coy redhead 35 with rc carb & coupled exhaust baffle plate. Idle is so slow you can almost see the prop flick by.

Who needs a heavy plug ignitor ? Someone who is hi-tech.

Rich
Jan 07, 2010, 12:36 PM

CL throttle control

Im in your age group and also relearned to fly CL two years ago. Actually Im still learning but am a moderately acceptable flyer. I used RC with a mini servo and a 225ma 4 cell nicad. It worked great on a 35 sized plane with an RC engine. It would idle great and I didn/t need a stooge. It really took the uncertainty out of takeoffs and was fun to do touch and goes. Also if you found things not to your liking line tension wise or plane/engine problems you could just reduce throttle and land and fix things. I only used it for 10 or 15 flights and haen't used it since. After you regain some ability it is not necessary and does add a bunch of weight to the plane. Welcome back and have fun!!
Jan 07, 2010, 08:21 PM
All they had in the plane was the servo. Voltage was pulsed down the wires. Bakalite bellcrank. No problem if the lines touched as momentary servo blips went on the wires.

Did they allow that for Carrier Contests ?

Rich
Sep 09, 2019, 05:44 PM
robinson727

UC Throttle

Only 8 years late buuut..
We developed a wireless throttle and have been test flying it on a Brodak Bi Slob.. Inexpensive and it works fine. The handle is "home brew to the max" and looks crude but works great, everything is on the handle. The model has a 9gm. servo and a 200mah Lipo cell that will last all afternoon. FWIW, the paddle controls the throttle plus there are 3 other slots for the carrier and scale UC guys.. pics below.. It's on 2.4 gHz and FCC approved.

Al and the Greyhounds
AMA255724
KF4QFY
Sep 09, 2019, 06:00 PM
------
Well done, is it a FlySky RF board and Arduino encoder?

Quick Reply