May 11, 2003, 03:12 PM
Thread OP

55" Spitfire - or when does a flat airfoil stop flying

Had great sucess with a 45" flat airfoil Spit which was scale up from Tony N. plans in RCM&E. Decided to go to 55" WS..really lots of wing area with an AXI 2820/10 on 10/3000nimh pack. AUW 3#13oz.

Flies like a champ almost a trainer at slow speed ..climbs at 75 degrees on initial takeoff. No snap tendencies ...just mushes forwarded as throttle is cut back and full up. You just got to loved the looks of a Spitfire. Big size easy on my eyes.

I looking to do a F-20 TigerShark using this wing and motor. Can't fine any decent drawings ...does anyone have a drawing or plan available?
to remove ads between posts
May 11, 2003, 03:38 PM
Hey Ralph,
Nice Spitfire there.
Here's the tigershark
the webpage where i got it is this, you'll find lots more there...
http://members.fortunecity.com/inedesca/
[img]www.fortunecity.com/marina/manatee/272/tigershark.html[/img]
crap, the image wont show up for some reason, just go to the page, and look under tigershark, its not listed as F20.
the tigershark will look better with that flat wing than the spit since its a jet. You did such a nice job on the spit's fuse, might as well take more time to do a scale wing, i bet it would look sweet
Last edited by Mig17; May 11, 2003 at 03:42 PM.
May 11, 2003, 04:02 PM
Thread OP
Yea you are right you can't get the right effect of the w-f faring as you do with a full wing. But I hate building wings. Thanks for the F-20 lead.
May 12, 2003, 12:04 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
I'm partial to bigger Spits.

Kelvin
May 12, 2003, 08:30 AM
Thread OP
Kelvin , yor Kyshio conversion is awesome. How much bigger? I am thing 68-70" ws.
May 12, 2003, 10:02 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Quote:
Originally posted by Ralph A. D'Amelio
Kelvin , yor Kyshio conversion is awesome. How much bigger? I am thing 68-70" ws.
Just 57" ws, 558 sq inches. 7lbs though, ouch, but it still flies well enough.

Thanks

Kelvin
Jun 08, 2004, 08:45 PM
HERE IS a 48" Spit, but it's a slope soarer. Configured as the very first Spitfire. Flys Great.

Cheers. Patrick.
Jun 08, 2004, 11:56 PM
D W
D W
I love you man.
DAF,
Nice! Ain't it great when our ideas work?

Patrick,
OOfa,
Took a good minute before i noticed the plane in that pic...

-David-
Jun 09, 2004, 12:24 AM
RALPH.

You were asking about the F-20 Tigershark. A great plane. Sorry I can't help you with a three view. But perhaps you might like this view.
So heres a picture of mine.

Cheers. Patrick.
Oct 22, 2004, 06:57 PM
RALPH.

I am curious about this "Flat Wing" business. Does that mean that you use a single flat sheet of balsa cut to the wing plan view. Or does it mean you use a thicker sheet and sand it to an airfoil profile.?

How do you finish the surface?

Cheers. Patrick.
Oct 22, 2004, 08:13 PM
Thick enough to be strong is thick enough... I've done a lot with flat plate, particularly in c/l, and learned a lot. If you are building a wing that big, using light 3/8" and a big sanding block gives you a workable wing with a rudimentary airfoil; is that the best of both worlds? I've built c/l using 1/2" sheet, really light, and reinforced the l/e with 1/8 dowel, nearly indestructible, and easily repaired.

True flat plate (1/16" to 1/8) with rounded l/e & t/e stalls much sooner than the same wing with any form of airfoil, but this isn't always bad, depending on what kind of model it is. With 1/2A c/l, I built up to 24" span and never ran into stall problems, and have seen lots of slopers with flat plate.

If you hate wingtips or wing construction, the very best compromise is Jedelsky. It "flies" much better, and is nearly as fast to build...
Oct 22, 2004, 08:52 PM
Thanks TL.

I am looking at VERY fast, VERY thin wing sections, (4%) on a Slope Soarer, which is why I am asking the questions.

I envisage a sheet of 3/8" soft balsa shaped using "foam cutting" techniques, but with sandpaper glued to a long straight stick instead of a hot wire, and a laminar flow wing section defined by metal templates at root and tip.

Do you think thats feasable???

Cheers. Patrick.
Oct 23, 2004, 04:48 AM
Probably is, but you may need to glass it and put in some kind of full depth anti buckle spar.
Oct 23, 2004, 06:17 AM
Yes VINNY. I have re-thought that one. I printed out the P-51 root section for a 1/12 scale F-104, and even with an extended wing it is going to have to be sanded from 1/2" stock with a 4% TC ratio. That section has it's maximum thickness at 50% chord, so the LE is VERY thin.

Back to the drawing board.

Cheers. Patrick.
Oct 23, 2004, 06:58 AM
The wings are not on fire
[QUOTE=D W]

Patrick,
OOfa,
Took a good minute before i noticed the plane in that pic...

[QUOTE]

only one??

Quick Reply