Jan 02, 2010, 08:57 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Comet Corsair build

I am taking a little break from Guillows and building a Comet Corsair. I am using my own wood since they no longer make these kits. Just took the fuselage out of the jig.

to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2010, 09:15 PM
scigs, I built an Herr Engineering 30" Corsair, I haven't flown it yet. JWFinn (Joshua) suggested increasing the wing dihedral so the wing tips are level with the bottom of the canopy.

Kev
Jan 02, 2010, 09:35 PM
If it flies, I crash it!

Free Flight?

David,

Gonna do it Free Flight?

Daniel
Jan 02, 2010, 10:27 PM
Thread OP
It will be freeflight.
Jan 03, 2010, 08:30 AM
Tarot 550/600 & OMPHobby UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
Just took the fuselage out of the jig.
Scigs, what does the 'jig' consist of ? It obviously works because the fus looks dead straight.

Steve
Jan 03, 2010, 10:45 AM
See the Silver Lancer thread for an example of the jig in action.

howell
Jan 03, 2010, 11:05 AM
Thread OP
Fuselage jig from Rockytop models, best thing I have ever used.
Jan 03, 2010, 11:51 AM
Thread OP
The wood that came with my kit is old and warped, it weighs in at 10lb/ft, not too bad. When I was younger these kits were so cheap, I think I built most of them. I would use the kit wood but did not like the print showing. So I would xerox the parts onto paper and sand the kit wood clean. Then glue the paper patterns onto the wood and begin cutting. This also made it so the parts did not break when I cut them out. The Comet kits were always great flyers compared to the Guillows or Sterling kits. The problem with Comet kits is the lack of directions. This build will be straight forward, if anything I might sheet the nose, but we will see. The plans call for 3 1/2 dihedral in the wing and I think that is enough. This Corsair does not have the bubble canopy, that came out in the later Corsairs to assist with landings. Now here is a question. Lately I have been building my WWII planes with removable landing gear and that looks cool in flight. With this plane do you think it would look better in flight with or without landing gear? This plane and the Wildcat are the two were I think it would look better with landing gear down. Whats your opinion?
Jan 03, 2010, 01:12 PM
scigs, I like the landing gear down, it looks a lot better and that's what I think you should do. I don't do that for the flying better reason and the possibility of it breaking during landing. Maybe I'll change my ways though.

Kev
Jan 05, 2010, 02:53 PM
If it flies, I crash it!

Landing gear UP!

David,

Go with the gear UP and put them in when your not flying.

BTW...are you going to build the arc curve into the wing?

Daniel
Jan 05, 2010, 05:41 PM
Free Flight rubber flyer
Scigs, don't skimp on that dihedral. Corsairs really need it. That one item makes the difference between a total dog and a top level competitior on this airplane. You might also want to put the rear peg just aft of the canopy, as that will save you a real hunk of noseweight.

You can guess how I learned both of the above items...
Jan 05, 2010, 05:52 PM
Tarot 550/600 & OMPHobby UK
Landing gear 'up' every time.. The real things dont fly around with their gear down so why should a scale model. Anyway, not only do they look better with gear up but they fly better and are less prone to damage.. It's a no-brainer IMHO.... But each to their own.

Steve
Jan 05, 2010, 07:43 PM
Free Flight rubber flyer
For the record, Corsairs look much better with the gear up. It's easy enough to make plug in gear like your others, and after all, you can engineer the plug in gear to even be usable for flying, but with those big gear doors hanging down like big airbrakes, gear down is a big performance killer for the Corsair, much more so than most other retractable gear airplanes. The Corsair has a wonderfully clean airframe, so why dirty it up with having the gear down in flight?
Jan 05, 2010, 08:51 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfinn
For the record, Corsairs look much better with the gear up. It's easy enough to make plug in gear like your others, and after all, you can engineer the plug in gear to even be usable for flying, but with those big gear doors hanging down like big airbrakes, gear down is a big performance killer for the Corsair, much more so than most other retractable gear airplanes. The Corsair has a wonderfully clean airframe, so why dirty it up with having the gear down in flight?
I was thinking the same thing, even though I like the gear down but the drag would be too much......So plug in it is. For the most part this will be built stock as per the plans. But as we all know, Comet leaves a lot of room for interpretation. Comet does say to do 3 1/2 inch dihedral and that is plenty for this bird, but you also have to adjust the root rib. Comet kind of makes note of this, but you have to read carefully. I am adding some gussets here and there and some help around the root rib so it does not cave in during covering. Other than that you will see a basic Comet kit. Almost done with the wing, will post pictures soon.
Jan 05, 2010, 11:15 PM
Thread OP
Had some time today to throw the wings together and everything seems to be going ok. As you can see from the pictures I am not really deviating from the original plans. Sure I could sheet the nose, mold a canopy, rebuild the wing as one piece but then I would never finish. I figure I have way too many builds ahead of me to complicate things, so for now I will keep it simple. Before work tomorrow I will throw the stab and rudder together. Most of the build is with Elmer's Glue All, and the root ribs are Testors Balsa Cement. I use Balsa Cement so I can make adjustments in the root rib as needed by adding nail polish remover to the rib joint......Thanks Walt.........So far she weighs in at 10 grams.

****************FETCH*****************

Quick Reply