JohnVHRC
dont have them, but am going to order them
Latest blog entry: F22!
Jan 08, 2010, 10:21 AM
out of the western sky...
Thread OP

I got mine!

Have not had a chance to try it out....
Working the AMA Expo this weekend, so I'll have to wait until next week to drop test these! Looks like they work and I'm impressed with the quality!
ScottB
I also got some spare bombs, I'm sure they will get lost!
Jan 08, 2010, 09:36 PM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy

Lost ? Don't worry about that !

My son tested the Quanum bomb system today. Fitted to a Parkzone Stryker.
The Stryker is a modified EDF version, a regular prop driven one would be better with a low pitch prop I think. With the bomb fitted a bit of skill is needed to just let the model sag while gaining air speed a little before pulling on the elevator.

The bomb release.
In short, it releases very reliably. Easy to setup on any free channel. Middle 'stick' is still locked (by a spring), going full throw releases the bomb.
In actuallity, I opened up the bomb release mechanism and put two washers under the servo mounting lugs, because the servo arm was sometimes binding on the release catch. Easy fix. Noting else required.

I put white painters tape on the base of the release, then PU glued the base of the release into the Strykers belly. I used a loop of nichrome wire to cut a hole big enough to sink it into.

OK the negatives.
The bomb is made of exploding plastic. No joke intended. One drop is the life of one bomb.
My sons landed on soil, here's the result in the photos. Another flyer at our club tried one as well, his shattered after landing in a ploughed paddock ! The weather is warm here, so the plastic is not too cold.

The solution is modify a Nerf Bomb using the supplied spare plate.
No excuse though, the original bomb is not fit for the purpose !

Martin
Jan 08, 2010, 09:40 PM
JohnVHRC
Good call on the nerf! Bummer on the bombs though, guess Ill have to glass some or use the origional as a mold.
Jan 08, 2010, 10:04 PM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVH
Good call on the nerf! Bummer on the bombs though, guess Ill have to glass some or use the origional as a mold.
Yeah, the cool thing with the Nerf type bombs is that they whistle just like bombs on old war movies !
Really, I don't understand the plastic used, it looks like it would just flex and pop open, but noooo..... Crunch !
Jan 09, 2010, 02:31 AM
Hi Martin

I got one too but only looked at mine so far lol.
Jan 09, 2010, 03:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLMS

The solution is modify a Nerf Bomb using the supplied spare plate.

Martin
The Nerf Bomb suits the Stryker better, anwyay ! !

JB
Jan 10, 2010, 01:38 AM
maybe try boiling the bombs??? I know some heli guys boil their skids to make them more flexible and it really does make a difference.
Jan 12, 2010, 01:13 PM
I got mine today and it seems that there are the same as the Hobby Lobby once, but the drop module includes the servo :-) Going to compare tonight.

Good call on the Nerf Bomb :-)
Jan 14, 2010, 11:14 AM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLMS
Really, I don't understand the plastic used, it looks like it would just flex and pop open, but noooo..... Crunch !
PLMS... Did you use the Rubber Nose attachment?
Jan 14, 2010, 11:30 AM
JohnVHRC
I ordered two sets of the mechanisms, Ill see about modifying them to not explode.
Jan 14, 2010, 02:12 PM
Hi

I cut the 4 pins shorter so that the bomb pops apart easier and been throw it up and letting it hit the ground and it seems to be ok.
Jan 14, 2010, 02:23 PM
JohnVHRC
are the bombs heavy?
Jan 15, 2010, 02:10 PM
They are a 500lb bomb lol , mine weighs 62grams.

Quick Reply