Twin Star II Military Conversion Additions - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 30, 2009, 10:34 PM
RC Enthusiast
New Product

Twin Star II Military Conversion Additions

My friend Keith from Park Flyer Plastics sent me a few goodies to hop-up my Twin Star II a few months ago. I've been meaning to get these completed for some time but kept getting side tracked. I'm still not done but now that I've started this thread perhaps I'll get cracking and finish the job. So far it's looking great and I think the results will be well worth it. Enjoy the ride!

What we have here are pieces to decorate your Twin Star II in a military (in this case, a B-25/B-26) theme. When Keith saw my Twin Star II decorated with D-Day invasion stripes he knew it needed a bit more 'stuff' to complete the effect. Here's what he sent me:

- (2) Motor cowls (same as the ones for his TSII Float Conversion)
- (2) Radial mount stickers
- (1) Top Turret (from his B-25 parts)
- (4) Side Turrets (from his B-25 parts)
- (1) Clear Canopy Kit (same as the one from the TSII Float Conversion)
- (1) Belly/Skid pan

So far I've completed one cowl and two (2) side gun turrets. There isn't a lot of room on the front so I only plan to use one side gun turret on each side.

The process for building these pieces is very straight forward. Cut out the pieces from the plastic molds and paint them with your favorite color (I'm using Tamiya Acrylic Dark Green). The 'guns' are small pieces of carbon fiber I had lying around and hot-glued to the inside.

The cowls will be affixed using 3-4 small screws into the EPP foam. The photo shows the cowl held on by the prop right now.

So...that's all I have for now. I'll be uploading more photos of the parts in the next few days. Please feel free to post any questions or comments.

-Lee
Latest blog entry: Funder & Lightning Videos
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2010, 06:33 PM
RC Enthusiast

Cowls

The cowls were painted and ready for test fitting on the engine mount.

I ran into trouble due to my custom made motor mount. My Hobby Lobby 400XT's are mounted a bit off-center (lower) and further back. The shaft ends up being too low coming out the hole in the cowl. The easy fix for that was to simply increase the size of the cut-out hole. Another problem occurred when the prop adapter was installed and the prop hit the leading edge of the cowl. To resolve this I shaved off about 1/4" off the EPP foam from the front of the motor mount. The cowl moved back just enough for prop clearance.

In the end, the larger hole in the radial engine sticker does not look too bad and doubt anyone will notice. If you are using stock brushed motors or have been able to replace your motors and properly center the shaft, you won't run into any trouble.

-Lee

Side Note: Alfa Models makes a silver spinner for their Corsair ARF. It is available as a special-order item. I plan to obtain a few and give them a try.
Jan 02, 2010, 06:42 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Nicely done...it's looking very close to an A-26 Invader, actually:

http://richard-seaman.com/Wallpaper/...nvader2006.jpg

http://www.militaryaviationart.net/i...26-invader.jpg
Feb 10, 2010, 12:05 PM
RC 4 Life
I tried to add enough to the upgrade kit to give a guy a chance to express themselves and lee looks like Lee is having fun with it.
If you guys can think of something that is needed for this kit let me know and I'll see what I can do.

BTW if you are board with your Twin Star you can always try flying off the water now with the float plane conversion.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...8&goto=newpost
Apr 07, 2010, 04:03 PM
RC Enthusiast

Side Gun Turrets

Added my side gun turrets two weeks ago. Got a couple of positive comments from the folks attending TEFF in Austin.

These are pretty large turrets and it wasn't easy picking a spot to place them. Too far forward and they covered up my nicely painted invasion letters. Too far back and they looked ineffective. I decided to place them under the doors and go with the idea that one could use them as a step. I pity the poor passengers in first class when these go off!

After placing them in the proper position, I traced a line around them onto the foam. I then used a Dremel tool to create a groove for them to lay. Using regular CA, they were attached to the fuselage. They are secure and gave me no troubles during take-offs and landings. However, they tend to pick up grass occasionally.

Next up, the top turret!
Apr 07, 2010, 04:30 PM
RC 4 Life
There was a guy at SEFF a few years back that had a B-17. he kept snagging stuff on the guns and went with a small rubber tube.
With this problem here, I normally get a fine piece of piano wire and make a grass pusher.
the wire goes in the gun barrel or somewhere near the tip and the other end attaches to the fuselage.
The wire in-between the two is at an angle to force the grass outboard.
not very scale but at least you are not harvesting grass seeds when you land.

Looks good lee.