Dec 30, 2009, 05:36 PM
I love my ID.
Thread OP
Discussion

1/48 scale 8.5" Cessna C-37 Airmaster

Here is my lastest micro model.

Cessna C-37 Airmaster (1/48 scale 8.5inch wingspan) (3 min 30 sec)

Wingspan: 8.5" (216mm)
flying weight 4.2gram with 20mah bahoma cell
receiver: Plantraco 2ch butterfly RX
wingloading: 2.07 oz/sqft (6.30 g/dm)
Airframe materials: Durobatics 0.05" and 0.025"
actuator: Michael Henriken 180ohm with two 2mm x 1mm disc magnets
Power system: Plantraco GB05 gearbox with 3222 carbon prop cut down to 62mm
Last edited by jingjingjing; Dec 30, 2009 at 05:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 30, 2009, 06:03 PM
Very nice! Looks great, flies great.

Pete
Dec 30, 2009, 06:34 PM

Below eye level flights

Another nice build Jing Jing Jing! I just love those flybyes that are below eye level. Who would think ten years ago models that weigh less than 5 grams!!!!!
Bob Hurd
Dec 30, 2009, 07:19 PM
Bob,

You are right indeed. The feeling that you get of seeing such as small and scale plane fly by at or below eye level is simply fantastic.

JJJ,

First of all, I really love your plane. It is just so stable and predictable. I like the flat, lateral turns.

I have a question. If you were to trim this model for pitch, how would you go about doing it? Would you readjust the thrust angle or trim the elevator?

Thank you,
PC49
Dec 30, 2009, 07:42 PM
Micro Crazy Man
Jin Fantastic Plane and outstanding flight. I'm trying to set up a day to come down to fly with you. may have to be on a weekend day. Would love to see the plane in person.

Joe
Dec 30, 2009, 08:37 PM
MAD MEN QCRC
Beautiful job, Jin Flys at realistic scale like speeds too! Congrats! Bill
Dec 30, 2009, 08:49 PM
I love my ID.
Thread OP
Thank you for the positive comments on my model.

PC49,
If the plane pitches up too much on throttle, I give more down thrust.
If it doesn't glide well, I adjust the elevator or shift CG.

My Cessna maintains level flight at 40% throttle but over 60% it pitches up slightly and climb without stalling. In my opinion, slight pitching up works well with ROG or touch and gos.

Jin
Dec 30, 2009, 09:57 PM
Jin,

Very helpful info there. I didn't think that you would use different adjustments for different situations, but now that you wrote that it makes sense to me. That is another thing that F/F taught me. As far as trimming positive pitch, it's thrust angle. For negative pitch, it seems preferable to adjust the CG, as a change in elevator pitch creates drag.

Again, VERY nice.

-PC49
Dec 30, 2009, 11:13 PM
Like a Boss
Very nice! i too love the low flyby's, ive said it before... its amazing how well a properly trimmmed 2ch can fly i get a kick out of mine every time.
Dec 30, 2009, 11:40 PM
Professional looking job !
That wingloading is insane, a plane not to fly over indoor air heaters or it'd hit the roof on the thermal lol. I too liked the balanced flight characteristics, the flat turns and the touch and go's.
Dec 31, 2009, 02:50 PM
I love my ID.
Thread OP
On trimming 2ch airplane, Matt Keenon's article on www.cloud9rc.com January, 2007 issue helped me greatly.
Following is a excerpt from the article on his 2ch differential thrust control Stirling bomber. It is very simple sets of rules.

"...If it has a strong tendency to roll left or right, make the appropriate adjustments with the ailerons, this would likely be due to wing twist, or left/right C.G. imbalance. If it has a slight tendency to nose in or stall adjust the elevator appropriately. If it has a really strong dive or stall, then adjust with weight to the nose or tail.
If it does not turn equally left and right, use the rudder trim to offset the turning in the desired direction. If it has a tendency to glide fine, but stall badly when throttle is advanced, the motors need more downthrust."

State of trimmed condition depends on your standard, but once you watch experienced model builder's airplane, your standard will change. It is just matter of spending time and finding the correct solution for the problem.

Quick Reply