Dec 28, 2009, 10:40 PM
Ian Downunder
Thread OP
Contest

2nd International Disciplined & Freestyle Slope Aerobatics Contest

Hello and welcome all slope soaring pilots from around the world. Many of you may be aware of my work on slope aerobatics over the past three decades. Well now you have a chance to participate and experience my passion. If you know of other like-minded fliers, ask them to come on board and take up this challenge.
Trophies and prizes will be awarded. All other participants will receive a certificate of achievement via e-mail.

~ DEMONSTRATION VIDEOS ~
Disciplined Aerobatics: The manoeuvres in the video below are by no means perfect but have been provided to give you an idea on how to perform your disciplined routine as required by the judges.

(7 min 50 sec)

Freestyle Aerobatics: Below is a link to a previous freestyle aerobatics contest organised by slopeaerobatics.com which should assist you in putting together your freestyle video.

I will leave you with my favourite quote. "You don't have to be the best pilot, you just have to be the best prepared pilot." Good luck everyone, Ian Downunder, contest organiser.

~ RULES & GUIDELINES ~
Post online the following two requirements:
1: A video, five and a half minutes or less, containing 15 of the 21 manoeuvres listed (which includes the landing) and performed in the order with which they have been listed. i.e. three manoeuvres from groups 1 & 2, two manoeuvres from groups 3 & 4, one pattern manoeuvre and one landing.
2: A video, two minutes or less, containing a freestyle aerobatics routine, edited however you like.

Once you have submitted both videos, (one entry per pilot) you can change them up until the closing date. Do not have accompanying music for the disciplined aerobatics as this will only distract the judges. Accompanying music is required for the freestyle aerobatics routine.

Following suggestions from last year’s contest, I have decided that this year’s contest can include any type of remote controlled, non-motorised glider or slope plane. This includes flying wings, canards, warbirds, sci-fis or other unconventional models that were not allowed last year. A decision will be made after the closing date as to whether multiple classes will be warranted. For instance, if there is only a handful of entries, then there will be only one class but if there are many entries, then I will look at dividing the models into separate classes. You must use the same glider throughout.

The disciplined aerobatics manoeuvres are similar to last year except there are more options and a couple of extra challenges thrown in for good measure. Edit your footage so that only the start and finish of each manoeuvre is shown. i.e. the start and finish of a manoeuvre is determined by a short but distinct level or horizontal flightpath. The altitude of the glider's flightpath should remain constant when entering and exiting every manoeuvre with the exception of the new Pattern manoeuvre and the Inverted Three Turn Spin, both of which start and finish on different levels. Manoeuvres requiring roll procedures can roll in and roll out in any direction. The Figure Eight does not have to be strictly an Inward or Outward, as is required for powered aircraft. You can start it where every you like. Just make sure that the judges can see clear starting and finishing points and it resembles a figure eight.

The freestyle aerobatics routine can be edited or dressed up how you like. Special effects are welcome. The landing does not have to be included. The routine does not have to contain any accurate or recognised aerobatic manoeuvres but must have aerobatic content to be eligible for judging. It will be judged on its free-flowing and we hope, spectacular content, as well as how the overall package is presented.

Unlike last year, you can perform the disciplined aerobatics manoeuvres on any day and on any slope during the contest. Just remember when editing your footage to place the manoeuvres in the order in which they are listed. The freestyle aerobatics routine footage can also be performed on any day and on any slope during the contest but it would be in your interest to shoot this footage on the same day.

The video camera should be set up in a way that will give our judges the best possible viewing angle. This can be almost important as performing the maneouvres and/or freestyle routine. Try to include a reference point (e.g. horizon or landscape) at some stage in your videos to enable easier comparative judging. In other words, don't just show us a glider in blue sky.

There is no set closing date. When enough entries are posted to make a fair contest, the administrator will announce the closing of the contest. All footage must have been shot in 2010 or after.

Winners will be chosen by in-house judges. Each disciplined aerobatics manoeuvre will be scored out of a possible 10. The Pattern manoeuvre will score double - a possible 20 points. The freestyle aerobatics routine will be scored out of a possible 40 points. That's a combined possible score of 200 points. The final results will be posted on this website and Ian Cole's website.

Sponsors for this event would be much appreciated.
Last edited by Ian Downunder; Aug 04, 2010 at 08:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 28, 2009, 10:50 PM
FSD
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
Nice to see this again! -P
Dec 29, 2009, 07:38 AM
Phil.T-tailer
Hi Ian - seasons greetings & good to see the aeros comp back for another year!
I got a new camera for Xmas - so at least the video should be better quality - hoping for some good weather to get better quality flying in too

Not needing to do all the flying/moves/video in the same session should make things easier - good idea.

Phil.
Last edited by Phil.Taylor; Dec 29, 2009 at 09:07 AM.
Dec 30, 2009, 05:38 PM
Phil.T-tailer
I'm posting this vid (again) to show that its perfectly possible to do the types of moves in the schedule with a 3m F3F type plane (for those that don't have a specific aerobatic plane) - it'll also do the outside loops with reflex added. Hopefully some of the moves are recognisable as ones in the schedule (including my best landing of the year!)

Falcon F3F aerobatics (5 min 5 sec)

Phil.
Last edited by Phil.Taylor; Dec 31, 2009 at 04:50 AM.
Dec 30, 2009, 06:07 PM
Flagstaff, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil.Taylor
Hopefully some of the moves are recognisable as ones in the schedule (including my best landing of the year!)
Phil:

There were plenty of recognizable moves in that video... including some great loops, rolls, most of an inverted circle, split-ess's and some nice spins. That plane is certainly appropriate for an aerobatic competition like this.

Ian: I like the new format... being able to pick moves from two of the groups. I'm glad you added the one stall stall maneuver (three turn spin) and a landing.

My preference would still to have folks create their routine and fly/film it as one continuous performance. I think this is a better "pilot" test. But your "best of" concept will certainly give everyone the best chance of showing their skills.

Practicing specific moves (over and over again to get them perfect) can be boring... but it is the kind of "boring stuff" make you a better pilot.

Thanks Ian.

Dawson
Dec 31, 2009, 04:49 AM
Phil.T-tailer
Hi Dawson - maybe could you repost your Weasel-Evo aeros vid here to show how that's also capable of the types of moves in the schedule? - we may get more take up from foamie/wing pilots if they see it can be done.

Phil.
Dec 31, 2009, 08:22 AM
Ian Downunder
Thread OP
Hi Guys and a happy New Year.

Well it seems you can't get freestyle out of your minds. So as there has not been any other freestyle contests forthcoming for 2010, I have thrown in a bonus for you. No excuses now.

Ian.
Dec 31, 2009, 09:32 AM
If it can-it will!
Yeah great, well done!- that's covered both bases, and we've all got six months to get something together.

Happy New Year to you too.
Jan 03, 2010, 12:12 PM
Flagstaff, AZ
Here is a PDF of the DSA maneuvers... and Ian's description of the contest.

You might find a print out of the first page useful in working up your routine.

Dawson
Last edited by dawsonh; Jan 04, 2010 at 08:47 AM.
Jan 04, 2010, 11:08 AM
If it can-it will!
Aaah right. Reading through the rules again, on Dawsons PDF file (Thanks DH)

There is only one single competition, not a separate freestyle as I first assumed (never assume anything!)

Also the disciplined part scores a maximum of 160 points, while the freestyle part scores only just one quarter of that with 40 points- for all that "off the cuff" artistic presentation! Mmmm...

All credit to Ian for setting this up, but what's the general feeling about the two being judged into one contest, or thinking that two separate contests might be better?
Jan 04, 2010, 11:54 AM
Phil.T-tailer
Thanks for the explanation - I'd initially asssumed a separate freestyle as well - which would be my preference. Not sure how the freestyle part will be marked? - or whether it has to be a continuous flying sequence, or edited together?
Phil.
Jan 04, 2010, 02:42 PM
If it can-it will!
These are the rules ref. freestyle:

"The freestyle aerobatics routine can be edited or dressed up how you like. Special effects are
welcome. The landing does not have to be included. The routine does not have to contain any
accurate or recognised aerobatic manoeuvres but must have aerobatic content to be eligible for
judging. It will be judged on its free-flowing and we hope, spectacular content, as well as how
the overall package is presented.
Unlike last year, you can perform the disciplined aerobatics manoeuvres on any day and on
any slope during the contest. Just remember when editing your footage to place the
manoeuvres in the order in which they are listed. The freestyle aerobatics routine footage can
also be performed on any day and on any slope during the contest but it would be in your
interest to shoot this footage on the same day."

So it seems like the freestyle can be edited, with music etc- similar to the Surfimp's aero contests of 2007, 2008.
Personally I'd prefer two contests to accomodate the disciplined manouvres
separate from the freestyle- I think this might attract more entries than a one combined disciplined/freestyle contest (just my two cents)
Jan 04, 2010, 04:27 PM
Flagstaff, AZ
I tend to agree with Cliff... the disciplined and freestyle routines should be separate competitions. The tasks are very different... one showing mastery and the other artistry... left and right brain skills??? Some pilots may not want to enter both events.

Perhaps there could be a "combined" winner as well... Mr/Mrs "all-around" pilot.

If we get enough entries I think it would be fair to have several classes: 3-axis 2 meter or less gliders (Le Fish, Wasabi, Swinger, etc), 3-axis 2+ meter gliders (F3x gliders, big scale ships, Vector III, etc.), and 2-axis planes (combat wings, planks, warbirds, etc.)
Jan 04, 2010, 05:22 PM
Fly fast, Dont crash.
What those two said ^^^^

I may well have a go at the disciplined this year but it takes a lot of time of which i dont have alot of.
Jan 15, 2010, 06:57 AM
Ian Downunder
Thread OP
Thought I would share this with you. It's my first unaided attempt at a video - slide show though it may be. Have to start somewhere.

The two eagles seen here have been residents in the Bass Hills for years. I have flown with them on many occasions. Sometimes they are passive and other times they are aggressive. On one occasion one of them crept up to my Ricochet from behind and pecked a hole in the wing. On other occasions we could be seen chasing each other around the sky.

One year they were both accidentally trapped by market gardeners trying to trap crows (AKA ravens) which were eating their crops. Both species are protected. Fortunately, the trappers were caught in the act and penalised and the eagles were released unharmed.

The photos were taken on the spur of the moment. I was practising for a competition this particular day. I rang my friend Gaston Vanzet on my mobile phone (while still flying) and told him to get over to the slope quickly and bring his camera. He arrived in a few minutes and took these fabulous shots with a high speed digital SLR camera.

Slope Soaring with Eagles (2 min 17 sec)
Last edited by Ian Downunder; Jan 16, 2010 at 07:14 PM.

Quick Reply