Jan 30, 2010, 03:47 PM
I SEE NO SHIPS
Thread OP
Hi.
Questions are why the forum is here.
Engine was built by an engineer , and is bigger than the Stuart V twin.
Reg body was there , but I turned up a new one to change the pipework positions , as it was a bit messy.
What are you planning to fit your Pintail into ?
I am looking for ideas for my next build as Allison II is nearly complete.
Dunc2504
to remove ads between posts
Jan 30, 2010, 04:31 PM
Just call me "Mo"
I really like the Scottish clinker hull that Orion builds- it is just too big for scale-- but I like the planking and look for the stern and bow..very simple lines- and the color sure makes it easy to see a finished model in my minds eye. So a simple open launch for now..

So looking for a single cylinder slide valve to pair with the boiler - I may just shelf the Pintail engine till something happens that calls for it. An un-used Cheddar is always good to have in the kit!
Last edited by mogogear; Jan 30, 2010 at 04:42 PM.
Jan 30, 2010, 08:16 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
MoGo - Graham has 2, single-cylinder engine kits :Scotch yoke SC1A and Stephensons VR1A(with reverse). I've built his double cylinder engine TVR1A and the scotch yoke engine, both went together easily, hand tools only needed (mostly just sandpaper and normal screwdrivers, wrenches, etc.)
http://www.grahamind.com/stengine.html
Jan 30, 2010, 09:13 PM
Just call me "Mo"
Thanks Brooks--I love both of those and knew of them also...The twin will be a build I do soon- but think the Cheddar boiler might be too small for it..Could be wrong..? I am no where the whiz on your stem calculations..

The single is close - but I am not sure if that is what I want--I assume you need to use a servo saver with that "vibrating Stephenson" lever beating about ? ...

I was thinking about using a reversing transmission and not interrupt the momentum of the engine to switch from F to R...That way the engine just keeps running and a servo switches the gearing between the the engine and prop shaft. I also have a new old stock MARX Vario 50 propeller / shaft to address reversing.

Maybe I should consider the VR1 more????
Last edited by mogogear; Jan 31, 2010 at 11:51 AM.
Jan 31, 2010, 04:28 AM
I SEE NO SHIPS
Thread OP
I used the TVR1A in the Allison II and asked the guys at Maccsteam for advice on the right boiler. They said that the 3 1/2" horizontal boiler is a perfect combination .
They do a vertical version which should be if anything more efficient.
The quality of thier stuff is just fantastic , and at a very good price.
Dunc2504
Jan 31, 2010, 11:51 AM
Just call me "Mo"
Thanks Duncan- I agree about Maccsteam- I have owned a 3.5" vertical and horizontal in the past. Alas they have have moved on to other owners now . Mike( at Macc) is extremely helpful in his responses.

I will need to calculate out the steam potential for the VRI and this Proteus boiler..5" x 2.75" ....
Jan 31, 2010, 04:57 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
I have not made my VR1A yet. I was unaware of the vibrating lever problem. Stephenson gear lever does not have to vibrate: the lever (Johnson bar) is locked into place on all the steam locos I've run. Maybe the Graham is set up differently?
Jan 31, 2010, 05:41 PM
I SEE NO SHIPS
Thread OP
Hi.
The lever should not vibrate.
The linkage is arranged so the lever stays where you put it to adjust the timing of the valve.
Jan 31, 2010, 07:00 PM
Just call me "Mo"
This is what I was referring to

Steam engine - Gage VR1A first steam (0 min 38 sec)

So I was assuming you would need to use a "servo saver" so as not to wear out servo gearing
Jan 31, 2010, 07:28 PM
Looks like you have a timing issue, it should run a bit smoother, and not have any abrupt stops.

Steve
Jan 31, 2010, 07:48 PM
Just call me "Mo"
Steve- that is not my engine- just a video of one that seems to show the vibration in the reversing lever. It may be nothing to worry about as it could be a symptom of the timing problem the maker of the video has with his engine though I think the video owner also may be running a new engine for the first time on steam before he had run it in on the airline first.- or it could be typical of the engine. I am unsure.

Just making observations and plans for a build. I have always been a fan of the Graham engines--They get great reviews on parts, instructions and performance. The price is hard to beat as well.

Thanks for your input though

I assume that if my Proteus boiler can push a Cheddar Pintail twin -it should run a VR1a--I am not going to be racing anything..just pushing a open launch about the pond.

I think I will go for the hex bolt upgrade.. and may turn a solid brass narrower flywheel
Feb 01, 2010, 07:52 PM
3 Blades to the Wind
He definitely has an issue with that engine. It has a lot of blowby from the steam chest and when it 'hiccups' it has massive pressure blowby. My guess is he has an issue with the valve sticking or something.

The site recommends running on air first for at least an hour (with varying steps of running) to break the engine in. This person may have jumped right to live steam.
Feb 02, 2010, 09:18 PM
jda
jda
Fossil builder
Let me say (as I butt right in) that the Gage VR1 that I put together as a first time steam builder had similar problems. One of our club members bought the engine, had some problems putting it together, and asked me to lend a hand. Another case of the blind leading the blind. He built the boiler and I built the engine. After lots of fun and frustration we did get it running but seldom for long. It was weeks before we were introduced to Locktite and then most of our problems were solved. Here is what a crude first effort it was. jda
Feb 03, 2010, 12:30 AM
Just call me "Mo"
No problem JDA- you are welcome as well as your input. Learning to adjust the timing on steam engines - is what it is! It takes some work., and then some more work And Graham has the best reputation out there for good instructions- Imagine where you would be with bad instructions.

Are you still running your boat? Andywright had some challenges with timing his TRV1- but finally got it running sweetly. I have to say thatmany people have had no issue getting theirs adjusted.... not throwing rocks- I bet if I build one - I will be right there with you...

Nice clean open launch you have
Feb 03, 2010, 01:46 PM
3 Blades to the Wind
Anyone ever work with either of these two engines?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Live-Steam-Marin...item20af481884

http://cgi.ebay.com/Live-Steam-Marin...item1e5a501515

They look pretty basic and the second engine is self starting, double action, twin. Both seem to have okay stroke and bore. Cylinders are anodized aluminum though. Thoughts?

Quick Reply