Dec 26, 2009, 09:45 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

1/3 scale SG-38

Ok it time to start my winter project now that my Ventus is all but done. It will be the 1/3 scale SG-35 Zogling primary glider kit from Vintage Sailplaner. I got the kit back in Sept. from Jim and have been doing a lot of research on the plane and it's history. First thing you will find out about the Primary Glider when looking at pictures is that everyone made there own MODS or version so there is no right way or wrong way to make a perfect scale copy. I plan on making my version the SG-38 from the DFS German school using this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4Rvk5jd1Ng
First you find out about the Vintage sailplaner kit and plans is that there is not much info at all. It does not give you hardware placement, servo placement, riging placment etc. So I got a copy of the Krick SG-38 plans which is a very detailed drawing with a BOM. This answers a lot of questions that I had. Also have a copy of the full size Northrop Glider which was a copy of the Zogling.
Started on the Stab today and first thing I changed was the leading edge which I made 1.375 wide. The plans called for 2 inch wide which is not very scale at all. The full scale has 1.5 leading edge made of spruce. At 2 inchs I just did not think it would look good in the sky.
For some cool pictures and history check out http://www.danielsww2.com/page3.html
to remove ads between posts
Dec 26, 2009, 10:01 PM

Signed On

No ailerons?

That in full scale takes alot of Ball's to fly

I am hoping this will debut at the S.K.S.S Aerotow 3rd week in August 2010
Dec 26, 2009, 10:24 PM
TEAM HORIZON
Hi Eric,
I was wondering when you were going to get started on this project, I can't wait to see the progress. The beauty about having a plane that has so many mods is, if you screw something up, call it a mod.
Good luck with the build, Looking forward to it.

LEN
Last edited by Lbuff1; Dec 30, 2009 at 09:43 PM.
Dec 26, 2009, 10:26 PM
Nothing like a good WOODIE!
I'll be watching this one too, I have Jim's plans (free download) and was considering building one for one of my next Winters builds,

Tony
Jan 02, 2010, 07:38 PM
Thread OP
Ok, the balsa dust has been flying around the shop this weekend here in PA. Finished up the stab assembly with all those fillets must be a 100 of them on there. Also finished up the tailboom assembly. As I go on with this build I am finding out this kit is a sport scale not a true copy of the full size. There are many changes made to make it easier to fab. The tailboom calls out for 1/2 inch stock all around. To be more scale like it should be around 3/8 stock. This will save a ton of weight in the tail end.
Jan 02, 2010, 09:57 PM
TEAM HORIZON
Great Erich, Some excellent progress. Little pieces will make you pull your hair out. Thats my excuse and I'm sticking with it.
Whats the wingspan of this beauty? Have you given any thought to what you will cover it with?
Keep on Gluing

LEN
Jan 03, 2010, 07:59 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbuff1
Great Erich, Some excellent progress. Little pieces will make you pull your hair out. Thats my excuse and I'm sticking with it.
Whats the wingspan of this beauty? Have you given any thought to what you will cover it with?
Keep on Gluing

LEN
The full scale is 12 meters so 1/3 scale will be 4 meters. The cord is super big maybe 16 inchs or so. Was thinking of Solartex for the covering. I used it on the Nemere and it worked pretty good.
Jan 08, 2010, 05:45 PM
Smoke me a Kipper
looking good ....interesting build

I might try the 1/4 scale and add an electric power pod...
Jan 09, 2010, 09:04 PM
Thread OP
Got a lot done last night and today. Finished up the skid part of the fuse last night also cut the parts for the A-frame. Today I made up some brackets for the tailboom and set boom in place. So far things are moving along pretty good.
Jan 09, 2010, 09:51 PM
TEAM HORIZON
Thats pretty cool Erich, Should be ready to fly in a week or two huh?

LEN
Jan 09, 2010, 10:38 PM
aka Schleppmeister
very nice work, Erich!

Are you going to be able to get it out if that tight room, though?

http://iflytailies.jimdo.com/
Jan 15, 2010, 08:29 PM
Thread OP
Worked on some of the hardware parts this week. Machined up a Alum.jack screw for the king-post and fitted it up. Also added the tow release servo and linkage. The game plan is to direct drive the rudder bar with a servo using a brass drive plate this will make the pilot's legs move with rudder movements. Still thinking about the details of this part. The elevator servo will drive the cable loop that will be attached to the stick this will move the pilot's arms. After all the hardware is complete and dry fitted up I will paint the details black like the Shuttleworth model. Does anyone know of any good 1/3 scale turnbuckles that I can use.
Jan 15, 2010, 08:38 PM
TEAM HORIZON
Nice work Erich, like to see the mechanics of the moving pilot. What did you think of the film? Was that the same plane?

len
Jan 15, 2010, 08:57 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbuff1
Nice work Erich, like to see the mechanics of the moving pilot. What did you think of the film? Was that the same plane?

len
That was a crazy video and yes that was the same plane. Looks like the elevator broke or did not work. If you look at the shuttleworth one you can see that they have put some stops on the elevator stick. Maybe if you get out of control you don't have enough power in your arms hold the stick.
Jan 15, 2010, 08:57 PM
Nothing like a good WOODIE!
Erich,
Nice work!
Look into Proctor for those turnbuckles, Dubro has some 1/4 scale ones also.

http://www.proctor-enterprises.com/p...rnbuckles1.htm

Tony

Quick Reply