Dec 26, 2009, 01:27 PM
Founder of the EDF20 club!
Thread OP
Discussion

My awesome Multiplex Fox glider conversion!

This is my first Fox conversion ever. With a lot of careful planning, calculating, and testing, I nailed it on the first try. The AUW is 61.8g with the cg right on the mark. That's hardly heavier than stock! It uses an AR6300, three Blue Arrow single cell digital ultra micro servos, and a 240mah single cell lipo. It's flown with a DX6i and takes advantage of its complex mixing features. It has elevator, ailerons that double as spoilerons when the flap switch is flipped, and flaperon/spoileron/elevator mixing activated with the mix switch. This means, with the flip of a switch I can make it so when I pull up on the elevator, the flaps go down accordingly and when I push on the elevator, the spoilers go up accordingly (see pictures below). This will hopefully give excellent control while slope gliding.
Last edited by all4smallrc; Dec 26, 2009 at 01:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 26, 2009, 01:55 PM
No more nicotine for me!
Nice! Did you happen to pick this up at Hub in Richfield? I saw them there last time I stopped in...not sure how I managed to leave without one.

Now the real question, where's the slopes in MN??

Nick
Dec 26, 2009, 03:24 PM
Thread OP
Actually I bought it from an online store. I happen to live in a river valley, so there are several hills to choose from. Nothing too big, but perfect for this little glider.
Dec 26, 2009, 07:08 PM
"Will Slope For Food"
I bought one for my daughter as a stocking stuffer. I ll probably let her play with a bit till she is bored and then I ll do something similar. The slope guys have been turning them into pitcherons. They fly great as a chuckie so I can only guess they are going to be fun on the slope.

Steve
Dec 26, 2009, 07:38 PM
Thread OP
I've seen some pitcheron ones before. I didn't really like the idea because you can't do all the flaperon and spoileron mixing. I've seen some very impressive slope vids on Youtube. They seem to be very stable even with gusty wind. I'm looking forward to trying it out for myself.
Dec 27, 2009, 12:00 PM
No such thing as overpowered
Nice convertion, i bet being that light that it flys well.

are you thinking of doing another conversion? I try to make mine as diffrent to anyone elses as possible like EDF and double EDF fox. There is so many possiblities with a fox!
Dec 27, 2009, 01:02 PM
Thread OP
I got to fly it in a gym today! It has a superb glide rate! I could circle the gym and bring it back to catch it over and over. I flew it for at least an hour and it still isn't dead! All the spoileron and flaperon mixing works really great too!
Dec 27, 2009, 04:08 PM
No such thing as overpowered
I can only dream of flight times that long!
Dec 27, 2009, 04:32 PM
For Sale-everything over 250 g
Nice conversion!
How big was the gym? I have a couple indoors with my club coming up in Jan. We rent a one B-ball court gym, think it's big enough? I like to show up with something different, I have a Fox, this just might be different enough.
Dec 27, 2009, 09:51 PM
Thread OP
It was a single court gym. Rather small, but there was enough space to have some good fun.
Dec 28, 2009, 07:52 AM
Beware the Axis of Weasel.
I did one of these a couple of years ago with a 10g motor, pretty good fun. I've been thinking of doing a glider version lately as the park next to my house has a couple of ridges going across it, they're about 2 - 2.5m high and one's about 30m long, the other 20m. The prevailing wind always blows straight onto them so they're perfect for a bit of micro slope soaring with a bit of dynamic soaring on the other side. I've often watched crows and gulls soaring above them as I've been on my way to the football pitches to fly my powered planes.
Dec 28, 2009, 01:31 PM
..`.><((((>.`.><((((>
Very nice plane... I'm ordering one today to begin my own conversion : )

You could probably lose another 1-2 grams by going with welders glue hinges and using carbon for the elevator support.
Dec 28, 2009, 02:08 PM
Thread OP
I don't think it needs to be lighter. A little weight is good for wind anyway. And it has no elevator support at all actually. It didn't need it. The scotch tape hinges aren't very heavy either.
Dec 28, 2009, 02:45 PM
..`.><((((>.`.><((((>
I didn't even think about the fact that you need some weight on it... I deal in micro foamies where you want as light as possible. Oh, and the support I was talking about was the paper clip linking the two sections of the elevator.

Quick question about your electronic setup.. did you just plug the lipo right into the ar6300? Or did you use some kind of voltage boost? If so, do you think normal micro servos would work? Also, what is the stock weight of the fox? -Sorry for all the questions.

And thanks for sharing this conversion. I'm pretty excited to get one going... I've been looking for a micro sail plane for a while.

Heres a video of someone doing a conversion. It looks really stable... is it your plane?
http://www.vidoemo.com/yvideo.php?i=...r-mini-discus=
Last edited by Sl0flyer; Dec 28, 2009 at 04:11 PM.
Dec 28, 2009, 06:45 PM
Thread OP
I plugged the lipo directly into the AR6300 and it has worked fine. The AR6300's minimum input voltage is 3.5 volts. A charged lipo puts out about 4.2 volts and reaches about 3.7 volts when you need to charge it. It's kinda close, but I've had no problems with it. I've used normal BA2.5 servos on single cell power before and they work, but these special single cell servos are way better. I don't remember what mine weighed. I think it was around 50g. I tried looking it up on the web and found 40g from one site and 44g from another site. The one site that said it's 44g also said the ball ballast is 7g when it is actually 9g so I wouldn't believe them. That is not my video. A very good video though. That one sure flew a lot better than that Mini Discus.

Quick Reply