This thread is privately moderated by feathermerchant, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 01, 2011, 06:56 AM
Use the 4S Luke
Thread OP
Mine are held together with foam tape and chucked in the back of my car.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 01, 2011, 05:09 PM
Thank you for the kind words. Anyone can do that, I just put a great deal of time thinking about what I wanted to do and how I wanted it to look. For the power supplies I used some of the foam that I had pulled from the case to isolate the supplies. Then I wrapped them tightly with packing tape. I used double stick tape ran full length of the supplies to stick the supplies down. Then, for added assurance I bolted a nylon strap across the top of them to make absolutely sure they would not move. I didnt want anything under the lexan to move or come in contact with things.

Admittedly though, none of this was an original idea. I read alot, observed what others did and put my spin on it to fit and function how I wanted. It was a very fun little project, and certainly a little overkill....and to think, for a brief moment I considered using 4 power supplies with two hyperion super duos. Im glad I went the way I did. lol
Jun 01, 2011, 05:13 PM
Again, and thank you James for dealing with my questions via email and taking care of the snafu we had!

To all: Feathermerchant is a great person to deal with. If you think you may save money by buying power supplies somewhere else go for it, but there is something to be said for the assurance you get knowing you wont have any problems when you deal with him.
Jun 06, 2011, 09:02 PM
Guys, I need some education on these power supplies. I'm about to purchase the Power Lab 8. However, I'm having problems deciding what kind of a power supply I need. I'm more concered about charging quickly at my flying field, which has no 120V power. So, am I correct that the power supplies offered in this thread are more for charging at home or at fields that have 120V power? If not, help me understand what I need. The batteries I will be charging at the field are 4 - 4S 4000; 2 - 6S 3000; 2 - 6S 4400 and a bunch of 3S 2200s.
Jun 06, 2011, 09:16 PM
Artillery! King of Battle!
These power supplies will work equally great at home or the field. I use mine in both places. They are compact and light-weigh, makes them easy to transport.

Brill
Jun 06, 2011, 09:23 PM
Use the 4S Luke
Thread OP
The only way to use these power supplies is if you have 120/240V available. Some carry a generator to the field or charge at home then fly out their packs.
As far as your choice of chargers, you know you can only charge one battery at a time with that one unless you parallel charge. Parallel charging means 2 or more batteries at the same state of discharge connected in parallel until charged. Most use the powerlab to charge very large batteries very fast.
Personally I prefer multiple output chargers like the Duo because you can charge 2 batteries at once and they do not have to be the same. In your case you could charge a 4S 4000 battery at 5C (if the battery supports it) in about 14min AND charge a 6S 3000 at 5C at the same time. It just gives you more choices. IMO.
Jun 06, 2011, 09:41 PM
ancora imparo
You said you have no 120V at the field. If you have no 120V at the field then these power supplies are of no use there. These are high current supplies that run off mains power. You will need to use Deep Cycle batteries or a generator to supply the charger at the field.

Their application is for chargers that deliver large currents. The 24 V is useful since most of these chargers only develop their maximum output at higher input voltages than 12V.

The power you need is a function of how much power the charger needs - nothing else. The charger will determine how fast you can charge your batteries, then you need to provide what power it requires. If the charger does not specify what input power is required you can get pretty close by multiplying the charge current times the battery voltage times 1.25. The input current needed is then that number divided by the supply voltage.

eg Charging 4S at 20 Amps = 16.8 x20 = 336Watts (Since the max voltage of a LiPO on charge is 4.2V. A 4S = 4x4.2). Multiply by 1.25 since most chargers are at least 80% efficient = 420 Watts in required.

Therefore at maximum load the power supply needs to deliver at 12V current = 35Amps, at 24 V = 17.5.

You need to check with the specs for the charger if it is able to deliver the required charge current at 12v.

If this is confusing there are probably experts on this thread who have a PowerLab 8 who can tell you what PS you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin06
Guys, I need some education on these power supplies. I'm about to purchase the Power Lab 8. However, I'm having problems deciding what kind of a power supply I need. I'm more concered about charging quickly at my flying field, which has no 120V power. So, am I correct that the power supplies offered in this thread are more for charging at home or at fields that have 120V power? If not, help me understand what I need. The batteries I will be charging at the field are 4 - 4S 4000; 2 - 6S 3000; 2 - 6S 4400 and a bunch of 3S 2200s.
Jun 07, 2011, 11:34 AM
I used the automotive spade plugs but really difficult to get them to stay on. Once I had all the wires plugged in correctly, I coated them heavily with hot glue. That kept them in place!
Jun 09, 2011, 07:48 AM

Hot-swap connector Question

Feather Merchant or anyone who knows.

Do I need to make any connections to/on the hot-swap? I have two of the 47A PSs and setting them up for 24V. I saw on TJinGuy's web site that he connected three of these pins together. Thanks for any help/guidance.

Dave
Jun 15, 2011, 08:16 PM
subscribed
Jun 15, 2011, 09:51 PM
Use the 4S Luke
Thread OP
Knothead - I'm not sure what you're asking.
Jun 16, 2011, 12:57 AM
Revolectrix Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnotHead
Feather Merchant or anyone who knows.

Do I need to make any connections to/on the hot-swap? I have two of the 47A PSs and setting them up for 24V. I saw on TJinGuy's web site that he connected three of these pins together. Thanks for any help/guidance.

Dave
If you bought the power supplies from FeatherMerchant, he already connected the 3 wires for you. If you bought the supplies somewhere else and the 3 wires are not connected, you'll need to do that.
Jun 16, 2011, 05:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathermerchant
Knothead - I'm not sure what you're asking.
Feathermerchant.

On TJinTech's web site he shows three of the center pins connected together (see below link, 5th & 6th pics down on his page). I have two of your 47 amp PSs connected in serious, but I haven't made any connections involving the center pins as TJinTech describes. It's these pins/connections I'm asking if I need to make. By the way, your PSs are oustanding, very cool and quiet running. And I appreciate the quick shipping. Thanks for any help.

Dave

http://sites.google.com/site/tjinguytech/my-projects/HP47A
Jun 16, 2011, 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99
If you bought the power supplies from FeatherMerchant, he already connected the 3 wires for you. If you bought the supplies somewhere else and the 3 wires are not connected, you'll need to do that.

Outstanding. Didn't known FM took care of that. All the more reason to buy from him! Thanks Gregor99
Jun 16, 2011, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnotHead
Outstanding. Didn't known FM took care of that. All the more reason to buy from him! Thanks Gregor99
And to save you the hassle of soldering for a small donation he will also wire up some cables to it with female bullet plugs.

Quick Reply