May 09, 2003, 03:07 PM
CO of The Flying Circus
Thread OP

Wattage F-22 with ducted fan

Anyone out there tried it yet? I found some really good threads on the F-22 and I think I am going to buy one (on sale right now for $69.99) but I want it to be powered by a ducted fan. If anyone has any comments on this subject please jump in and let me know what you think. I think it has enough area and with the same kind of thrust the Kyosho T-33 has or even the Wattage F-86, I think it would scream! What do you think?
to remove ads between posts
May 09, 2003, 03:14 PM
We are in the process of developing an EDF F-22 powered by two GWS EDF-50 fan units. We are in the final phases of building so hopefully we will have the kit ready here in the near future. For complete details you can go to:
http://www.aerc.biz/raptor.htm
or
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...threadid=85339

John
http://www.aerc.biz
May 09, 2003, 03:36 PM
smug in granny panties
Yeah I did one a while ago and someone else did one recently. You can get a MF 480 fan into it pretty easily but the cells are too much for the wing loading. But since they have the wattage fan now you could do one very nicely. Or if you want high tech use a Vasa 65. remember it will never be a speed demon though, nothing to do with the fan or power, it's just a draggy airframe. But it's still a bitchen plane, and hey fro the price of the plane and a wattage fan you can be in it for under $100. Not inlcuding gear ofcourse.

Barry
May 09, 2003, 05:49 PM
Barry, you are da man.

Now close your eyes and think! LOL
Ah yes, Wattage F22 with two wemotec microfans or vasafans, two razor motors or two astro 020s and 8-10 CP1300. Are you singing now? LOL

Do not worry about the weight, I saw men fly their wattage F22 at almost 30-32oz.

Go for it barry, go for it my man. And yes the F22 is still $69 and #3 shipping for a few more days.
May 09, 2003, 11:03 PM
CO of The Flying Circus
Thread OP
I built the Kyosho T-33 several years ago and with 10 cells I was impressed with it's performance. The fan unit itself is a little over three inches in diameter so it would be possible to fit it inside the F-22 but it might leave the fuse a little thin (possibly weaken it too much without extra reinforcement which = extra weight) but with some of the new batteries that will be available soon it might still work out. The Kyosho fan is rated at 16oz of thrust which is alot more than the Wattage fan, but the wattage fan makes it's claimed 12.62oz on 600-800mah battery packs that weigh alot less than the 2000+ mah packs that are required to get any kind of duration out of the Kyosho fan. If a person was to build it as light as possible and use the Wattage fan it would still have pretty good performance at approximately 20oz AUW with 12.62oz of thrust. Hobbie people are also advertizing a brushless setup that is supposed to offer afterburner performance and that would really do the trick but your talking about $189.00 just for the brushless setup! Maybe I will build one with the stock Wattage fan and save up and buy the brushless setup after I know that it is going to fly good! Either way, I will have another EDF jet model! HMMMM, I wonder how the Combat Models F-15 built as light as possible with the Kyosho fan would work? I had one in the late 80's with an old tired .40 slimer and retracts in it and it still flew pretty good! It's all foam and could be built pretty light, HMMMMMM!
May 09, 2003, 11:26 PM
CO of The Flying Circus
Thread OP
Monkamarm200, where can I find info on the Vasa 65 fan you mention? I seem to remember seeing something about vasa fans but I can't find it now. Who manufactures them and what makes them so "high tech" compared to the other fans out there?
May 10, 2003, 01:22 AM
I converted one in September 2001 using a 2 1/2" EDF 400 fan and a cut down kyosho rotor. The fan was basically the same size as a Vasa 65 or Wattage fan. At 65mm in diameter, it barely fit. I filled the fuse section with a block of foam and then hot wired area ruled ducting. I posted a bit of info on it back then, but there was little interest it seemed. I had the face of the fan too far forward, and with the converging ducting I could only get the 12 x CP1300 pack back so far that I couldn't balance without 4 ounces of tail weight! With the much lighter new 1100 NiMH cells I probably could have taken off the tail weight but those weren't out back then. I eventually moved the fan back to after the leading edge of the vertical stabs and made a bend in the ducting, problem solved. The plane flew better but after a couple of flights I got dissoriented and corrected the wrong way and flew it into the ground in broad daylight!

I ran a Kontronic Fun 400-28 on 12 cells and it pulled about 19 amps off the charger.

There's no way to fit a 3 " fan in there without it sticking out the top or bottom. I was thinking you could cut the bottom out and make it look like Haldor's Mig 29 with the fan hanging out in the breeze.

I hand launched it a few times with a headwind but mostly it was bungeed, and I had some issues with the hook pulling out. With ligher cells and adequate (brushless) power hand launching should be no problem.
May 10, 2003, 03:02 AM
smug in granny panties
Ed's right Kyosho 75mm fan is way too big. My MF480 was way too big. I'm sure that if you get a Mega 16/15/3 on 10 Kan 950's or 10 Hecells in a Wattage Fan or a Vasa 65 you could get it to fly no prob. Or maybe if you can get ahold of a Red Flame Blaster Fan cause there a few mm smaller. Anyway you can get the Vasa65 from EAM, you can get the Wattage fan from everywhere, or just get the Astro Wattage Fan from Aero Micro, which I have for a Wattage Sabre and it kicks butt.

Barry
May 10, 2003, 10:17 AM
barry and folks;

You should use 2 brushless edf on the F22, that is a twin enjine jet; otherwise build the F35 if you use only one brushless EDF. This F35 is a great little sister of F22, look similar to the Raptor too . LOL
May 10, 2003, 10:44 AM
CO of The Flying Circus
Thread OP
I found your old thread last night Ed, it was very interesting reading through it and seeing the modifications you made. The only reason I even considered modifying the F-22 to accept the Kyosho fan was because of the thrust it produces, but then you have to deal with the added weight of larger cells to get any kind of duration out of it and that would make it way too heavy for the wing area the F-22 has, and not all of the wing area is actually wing area but is combined wing/lifting body area. The actual wing area of the 22 is only around 155sq. in. and that is not enough for the 2-1/2+ pounds that the Kyosho T-33 weighs. I'm starting to wonder if I even want a ducted fan because I want decent vertical performance and I know that DF models do not have the low speed thrust that a prop driven model has. I had a Combat Models pusher prop F-16 about five years ago and one day a guy showed up at the airfield with a DF F-16 that was almost the exact same size as mine and we decided to do some formation flying for a couple of Photog's that were there. When we took off together I lifted off in about 1/3 of the runway and he barely even got off the ground. Then I climbed at a very steep angle to a couple hundred feet and proceeded to wait for the next 2-3 minutes while he flew in circles struggling to gain altitude. After he got it up to speed his DF was marginally faster (maybe 5-10MPH at the most) and could only do zoom climbs back up to altitude using the momentum of the speed he would build up in a dive where I could come down the runway in a screaming high speed low pass turn on a dime raise the nose and do a "tailstand" with about a 75 degree AOA and lower the gear, then retract them again and give it full throttle climbing straight up out of sight! He could only dream of doing those kind of things and for what, an extra 5-10MPH ! I also found the threads on the F-22 with a brushless pusher prop setup last night and that looks like the way to go, good speed, good vertical, and it hand launches easily. So I don't know, maybe I'm just wanting the best of both worlds, scale realism of the ducted fan and the performance of a prop. I guess you really can't have your cake and eat it too!
May 10, 2003, 10:57 AM
CO of The Flying Circus
Thread OP
Rookie, the only way you could fit two fans in it would be to use the small GWS fans that don't produce any thrust. If you were going to put two of the new Astro brushless wattage fans in it then I would say you have more money than brains because at $189.00 EACH by the time you get good dual conversion radio gear that would tolerate two fans and all of the other accessories to complete it your looking at over $800.00 for a little foamie. For that kind of money I would build a slimer DF.
May 10, 2003, 01:13 PM
smug in granny panties
Two would be cool but the intake area is not there. You could tear off the lips and make them fit. And the plane will carry CP cells. But one would be more than enough power for it.

Barry

Quick Reply