Dec 24, 2009, 03:53 PM
Discussion

High Speed Steam

Thought you might like to see a few pictures of one of my high speed steam plants. The boiler gives an idea of whats in the casing, underneath you see the semi flash coils which the blowlamp fires through and across, then just before it exits up the flue I use an additional coil which has steam coming from the boiler to the engine, this really superheats the steam. You can see (if all the pics come out) the end of the vapourising petrol (gasoline) blowlamp to show just how much heat it produces. The whole plant is mounted on a bed plate for ease of removing, cleaning etc. The engine is a single cylinder 5/8 bore and stroke slide valve with an enclosed gear box on the back driving a water pump (out of view on the far side of the engine) and oil pump. The brass tank on the left is a futher oil box delivering oil to the cross head and front bearings (pressurised via a cycle pump)
The boat is 3ft 3 in long (1 metre) and is doing around 18mph.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 24, 2009, 04:00 PM
I SEE NO SHIPS
Welcome Phil!
Love the plant and boat.
What sort of duration do you get ?
Dunc2504
Dec 24, 2009, 04:00 PM
3 Blades to the Wind
Nice drive system. Using pure gasoline? Talk about inexpensive. Have you run it on other fuels? (Lamp oil, diesel, alcohol, etc?) If so, any difference in top end or is gas the best?
Dec 24, 2009, 04:03 PM
no wings any more, just dust!
i think Phil runs it on regular pump grade 92 octane unleased
Dec 24, 2009, 04:05 PM
Semi-Official Tinkerer
In a word, WOW!!!!! Dave.
Dec 24, 2009, 04:35 PM
I get about 1/2 with the fuel tank in this boat, some of my other boats have a smaller tank so I only get about 15-20 mins, but refilling and firing back up the blowlamp doesn't take long and I normally have around 70 psi still in the boiler. I did try a thing called solvent 50, which is basicaly lighter (as in Zippo) fuel. The heat it produced was something else and it reall did make the blowlamp roar------however is cost over 45 a gallon----- so back to pump grade(as Ghost has rightly pointed out---so he must have been paying attention at our last meet)
I will post some more pics of some of my other plants if you would all like,
Dec 24, 2009, 04:38 PM
and gasoline is 1.06p/litre, so thats around $5/usg
Dec 25, 2009, 09:08 AM
Way cool steam plant!
Could you please explain what the parts are, especially the tanks close to the engine?
How do you start your burner? Do you need to pressurise or preheat it?
Dec 25, 2009, 09:22 AM
Semi-Official Tinkerer
I for one would love to see more photos. Dave.
Dec 25, 2009, 10:49 AM
Restful User
Blowlamps, etc: As I've figured it out, a "blowlamp" is what we call a "blowtorch" here in the US. A container of liquid fuel which is pressurized with a handpump, an assembly to vaporize the gasoline and a burner to burn the gas vapor. I'v not seen a blowtorch in decades, mostly we use propane torches nowadays.

But for backpacking (camping) there is something called generically a "coleman stove", which works on the same principle, but uses a fuel called "coleman fuel" or "white gas", which is a mixture of naphthlene and other hydrocarbons and is less smelly and volatile than gasoline. I wonder if a backpacking stove could be adapted to steam power?

Seems to me that the most trouble-free heat source would be from propane/butane.

Is there enough to heat sources to start a new thread on "Fire"?

--Bill
Dec 25, 2009, 10:59 AM
bill, The Imara and resolve steam tugs use camping gas type butane/propane mixture in a refillable tank
Dec 25, 2009, 11:39 AM
Semi-Official Tinkerer
I actually have an old Blowtourch Bill.
The Blowlamps used in the models like my Saito do not need to be pumped up to pressurize them. They use the heat of the flame to keep pressure in the fuel. You have a small brass cup under the flame tip you fill with fuel.
You light it and the small flame will heat the burner and cause pressure to build up in the tank. After a short time you open the valve and the fuel is sprayed out into the flame and woosh!! Then you adjust the valve for the best output. Very simple unit. Dave.
Dec 25, 2009, 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris
Blowlamps, etc: As I've figured it out, a "blowlamp" is what we call a "blowtorch" here in the US. A container of liquid fuel which is pressurized with a handpump, an assembly to vaporize the gasoline and a burner to burn the gas vapor. I'v not seen a blowtorch in decades, mostly we use propane torches nowadays.

But for backpacking (camping) there is something called generically a "coleman stove", which works on the same principle, but uses a fuel called "coleman fuel" or "white gas", which is a mixture of naphthlene and other hydrocarbons and is less smelly and volatile than gasoline. I wonder if a backpacking stove could be adapted to steam power?

Seems to me that the most trouble-free heat source would be from propane/butane.

Is there enough to heat sources to start a new thread on "Fire"?

--Bill
Hi Bill,
There are a couple of the Coleman Primus stoves that will burn almost anything liquid, as well as the butaine/propane mix.

Primus Himalaya OmniFuel Stove
A versatile stove with excellent performance, the OmniFuel can be used with white gas, auto gas, kerosene, or diesel, as well as LPG canisters.

Primus Gravity MF II Stove
An all-season, compact spider-style stove. A new design makes this version stronger, more stable, and easier to maintain. Burns white gas, LPG canisters, gasoline, or kerosene.

Both these stoves I have been told you can invert the LPG canister and burn the fuel as a liquid. I haven't tried one only because I don't have one yet (I would best to buy two one for camping and one for experimenting, the wife takes a dim view of me disassembling the camping gear).
Regards,
Gerald
Last edited by steamboatmodel; Dec 25, 2009 at 10:09 PM. Reason: photos
Dec 26, 2009, 02:08 PM
Hi, Kno3, with any luck the following pictures should explain the brass tanks that I have fitted. I have included a pic of one of my other steam plants which also shows the pressure fed oil tank.With regard starting the blow lamp (or Blowtorch Bill ) I have also added some pics, but the process goes something like this: 3/4 Fill tank wit petrol (Gasoline) add pressure to about 25psi (with Cycle pump) Pre-heat the coils, I do this with meths in a small tin (see pic), open valve, lots of flame, really hot, place behind boiler. I have included a picture of a semi flash boiler (cut away) which should give you an idea of how steam is generated.
Bill with regard to using propane and or butane, the main problem is that to produce the heat we require, the tank (which woull be a lot larger than the one's we use) would freeze up quite quickly (lot more cost too !!!!)
Phil
Dec 26, 2009, 02:43 PM
Restful User
Gerald and Phil--

The blowtorch (or blowlamp) burner is a fascinating system. The initial fuel tank pressurization simply provides a small and steady liquid fuel flow to the "generator", the coiled copper tubing in Phil's third photo. The generator vaporizes the fuel to a gas, which is then introduced into the burner through an orifice. The generator is preheated with alcohol (or coleman fuel, if you aren't using gasoline), but once heated it becomes self-sustaining. Or at least, that is how I think it works based on what I know of backpacking stoves.

I have two backpacking stoves. One is a Gaz ("CampingGaz") Bluet propane/butane stove and the other is an MSR Whisperlite Internationale which can burn gasoline (petrol) and coleman fuel. The Gaz stove is effortless-- crack the valve, light it up and go. It isn't as hot as the coleman-fuel stove and the gas pressure will diminish in cold temperatures. The Whisperlite is reliable, easily-lit and make a hot flame, but needs a bit more tinkering. During a long cooking run, the pressure in the fuel tank will decrease and it sometimes needs to be pumped up during operation (the tank pump is built into the tank cap). It can run on petrol, but gasoline is smelly and volatile, and coleman fuel is nicer to work with, albeit more expensive.

--Bill
Last edited by Jacques Flambeau; Dec 26, 2009 at 06:28 PM. Reason: speling... :)

Quick Reply