Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:44 PM
ecworks is offline
Find More Posts by ecworks
Registered User

Skyfun ducted fan project


Finally got the 6 cell to fit. All up weight is now 3 lbs 8 oz.

Testing today
Last edited by ecworks; Jan 09, 2013 at 01:36 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:37 PM
ecworks is offline
Find More Posts by ecworks
Registered User

Skyfun ducted fan project


It does feel very heavy but it is producing over 4 lbs 8 oz of thrust and according to an on-line wing loading calculator the wing loading is not extreme:
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:37 PM
ecworks is offline
Find More Posts by ecworks
Registered User
My other project (Transall C-160) with its stock wing comes in at over 49 oz per sq. ft!
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:09 PM
ecworks is offline
Find More Posts by ecworks
Registered User

Skyfun ducted fan project


Launching with the EDF was a little too hairy so I installed some landing gear.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:10 PM
ecworks is offline
Find More Posts by ecworks
Registered User

Skyfun ducted fan project


Over and out.

The FY-30a freaked out again, launched, flipped on its back, righted itself, flipped over again and nosed in. Experiment over:
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:12 PM
ecworks is offline
Find More Posts by ecworks
Registered User
Eflight 80mm unit fine, Eflight 80 amp ESC fine, all other electronics (DX8 receiver, FY-30) survived intact.

This powertrain will be mothballed at the Institute for Advanced Aeronautical Studies until a suitable airframe comes along.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:52 PM
IFlyRCs is offline
Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
ICrashRCs
Sorry it didn't work out. It was a good effort.
I was wondering from the beginning why you didn't leave the FY-30a out of the system until you had everything sorted with some successful flights.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:56 PM
ecworks is offline
Find More Posts by ecworks
Registered User
Actually for the past week it's been flying great with the FY-30. No jitters.
I think this project was working on the edge of the capability of the airframe, EDF, and the electronics.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:50 PM
TheCure is offline
Find More Posts by TheCure
Wats the worst that can happen
TheCure's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
Sorry it didn't work out. It was a good effort.
I was wondering from the beginning why you didn't leave the FY-30a out of the system until you had everything sorted with some successful flights.
I was wondering the same - especially when you had close calls previously due to vibration.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:57 PM
m_ark is offline
Find More Posts by m_ark
Gravity sucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecworks View Post
Over and out.

The FY-30a freaked out again, launched, flipped on its back, righted itself, flipped over again and nosed in. Experiment over:
The CG may have shifted, but that's still flyable - just loose the nose bits, and put a regular prop/motor on the back.
There's plenty of wing still there and vertical stabliser still intact.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:38 PM
ecworks is offline
Find More Posts by ecworks
Registered User

Skyfun ducted fan project


Quote:
Originally Posted by m_ark View Post
The CG may have shifted, but that's still flyable - just loose the nose bits, and put a regular prop/motor on the back.
There's plenty of wing still there and vertical stabliser still intact.
Don't have the time to re-build again, might order another Skyfun and try a clean installation. In the mean time I'm knee deep in this project: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1803697
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:02 PM
PeteFliesBy is offline
Find More Posts by PeteFliesBy
but sometimes crashes

Best motor for combination of speed without too much screaming


Quote:
Originally Posted by THESANDMAN View Post
just my opinion but for the price of a couple plus shipping i recomend getting a better motor, one that you can basically run wot and with a change of a larger battery it will increase the speed
HET 2W25 will push over 1000 watts without breaking a sweat and its the price of a couple of those turnigy with shipping 69.00
I've been flying Skyfuns for a few years now but am still seeking that elusive perfect set up. My current (2nd) Skyfun used to run the HK 2836 2350kv until I switched to another motor listed on this thread way way back - a hobbypartz 2750kv. To be honest, it appears to be hardly any different than the 2350, about 50 watts more than 2350 on the same set up. With a 2200 4s APC sports 6x4 and a Turnigy plush 60amp it pushes out 1000w and 68amps on ground testing. iPhone app RC speedo has clocked it at 280kph during slight dives. Not sure about accuracy of this app though.

However, this thing still screams at that pace and I was wondering-what is the best motor/set up that provides 160km/h plus speed with much less screaming? I'm mindful that my new 'airfield' is only a few hundred metres away from houses and want to be more 'respectful' of others.

Are the NTM motors from HK any quieter than the 2350? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=25042 (this is 3000kv so probably not)

What about these famed HET 2W25s? Are they quiet until pushed to the max?

Any help would be great!
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:15 PM
PeteFliesBy is offline
Find More Posts by PeteFliesBy
but sometimes crashes

ProbBalsa elevons


I installed balsa elevons, taking care to carve them like the foam ones but a bit thicker. I used
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:21 PM
PeteFliesBy is offline
Find More Posts by PeteFliesBy
but sometimes crashes

Lazy roll response with Balsa elevons


Another question...I installed balsa elevons, taking care to carve them like the foam ones but a bit thicker. I used plastic hinges to join them to the wings. They are straighter than the foam ones ever were with tape! However, first test flight, the plane was perhaps a little more stable but not very responsive to rolls. Instead of spinning on its axis, it would do these lazy barrel rolls - more like a corkscrew than a roll. Any ideas? I'm considering taking the hinges out and just using tape instead. Don't think the throws need to be increased either - plenty of movement there.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:36 AM
m_ark is offline
Find More Posts by m_ark
Gravity sucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteFliesBy View Post
I've been flying Skyfuns for a few years now but am still seeking that elusive perfect set up. My current (2nd) Skyfun used to run the HK 2836 2350kv until I switched to another motor listed on this thread way way back - a hobbypartz 2750kv. To be honest, it appears to be hardly any different than the 2350, about 50 watts more than 2350 on the same set up. With a 2200 4s APC sports 6x4 and a Turnigy plush 60amp it pushes out 1000w and 68amps on ground testing. iPhone app RC speedo has clocked it at 280kph during slight dives. Not sure about accuracy of this app though.

However, this thing still screams at that pace and I was wondering-what is the best motor/set up that provides 160km/h plus speed with much less screaming? I'm mindful that my new 'airfield' is only a few hundred metres away from houses and want to be more 'respectful' of others.

Are the NTM motors from HK any quieter than the 2350? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=25042 (this is 3000kv so probably not)

What about these famed HET 2W25s? Are they quiet until pushed to the max?

Any help would be great!
I have found them both the same, the NTM and the 2350, there's a ton of prop noise from both so it's hard to tell. If i had to guess the NTM motor itself is a touch quieter... but it's a slight difference, probably ruined by the prop noise after it starts moving.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Vendo Rádio Hobby King 4ch + Receptor 6ch (2.4GHz) Amazon Brazil 0 Dec 02, 2009 08:52 AM
Discussion Hobby King 40mmx5mm folding spinners @ ~450 Watts? Owen Hedger Power Systems 3 Dec 01, 2009 03:46 PM
Discussion Hobby City/ Hobby King FPV setup- thoughts? Smokescreen38 FPV Talk 6 Oct 23, 2009 05:27 AM
Discussion Hobby King Hobby City MIG 15 7car7 Foamy EDFs 5 Oct 15, 2009 07:43 PM
Question hobby king speed controller question? qtturner1 Power Systems 3 Jul 09, 2009 12:17 AM