Aug 19, 2012, 02:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCure View Post
How do you launch your 300km/h Skyfun?
My buddy trows mine. Works fine each day. Kinda torque rolls a bit but nothing more i can manage.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 22, 2012, 04:23 PM
Indeed i have a buddy trowing it! Its way to heavy to trow it myself!

And wih the torgue roll you have to be quik!

I trew my funjet myself the other day, its only on 4s and goes 230km/h and it rolled on me, so just kept on rolling till it was straight (2 meters above ground) pheww a real scary moment
Sep 19, 2012, 04:45 PM
Flew twice last year and crashed both. Put it away!

Installed Eagletree Guardian......I can fly!
Oct 04, 2012, 10:52 PM
Hey guys, I need some advice. I'm going to send a skyfun up on a weather balloon to around 100K feet, and try to fly it FPV back to the launch location. I also will have an Ardupilot on board to do it autonomously if I lose video. I'm going to see some serious speeds, Maybe up to 300MPH. No motor or ESC, will be gilding only. Prop is useless at these speeds anyways.

What I"m looking for is ideas to beef this plane up and reduce the likely hood of flutter.

I'm going to need a battery for 5 hours. I'm thinking a 5000mah 3 cell to be safe, but I could go a little less.

I'm thinking fiberglass the whole plane, carbon fiber the ailerons, metal servo arms, 4-40 pushrods all with sullivan clevises and pushrod connectors.

Love to hear ideas
Oct 07, 2012, 04:47 AM
Gravity sucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_bak View Post
Hey guys, I need some advice. I'm going to send a skyfun up on a weather balloon to around 100K feet, and try to fly it FPV back to the launch location. I also will have an Ardupilot on board to do it autonomously if I lose video. I'm going to see some serious speeds, Maybe up to 300MPH. No motor or ESC, will be gilding only. Prop is useless at these speeds anyways.

What I"m looking for is ideas to beef this plane up and reduce the likely hood of flutter.

I'm going to need a battery for 5 hours. I'm thinking a 5000mah 3 cell to be safe, but I could go a little less.

I'm thinking fiberglass the whole plane, carbon fiber the ailerons, metal servo arms, 4-40 pushrods all with sullivan clevises and pushrod connectors.

Love to hear ideas
I think you'll have a space-shuttle like landing!
BUT:
you may have issues regarding the cold.
temperatures at 100 000 feet are slightly less than -40 degrees C.
At those temperatures, for the duration of the exercise. the battery will be very very cold you may want to look into what batteries work at what temperatures, and check on the possibilities of servos icing up too.
Last edited by m_ark; Oct 07, 2012 at 04:57 AM.
Oct 07, 2012, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_bak View Post

Love to hear ideas
although that would make for a sweet video . i hate to be a buzzkill but . dont you thik thats a lil dangerous . if you lose signal that ship is just going to be a like a giant 3 pound dart racing down the sky . the damage or injury that ship may cause will be alot. have you taken into that into account .
Oct 19, 2012, 01:28 PM
What servos are you using? Im looking for someting arround 10USD each. Thanks
Oct 30, 2012, 06:03 PM
Got the Tri-Skyfun wired up and working.
Using (3) NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200kv / 250w
and 3 x Master Airscrew 3 blade 7" props w/ 3 x Turnigy Plush 30am ESC's

With a 4 cell it's generating over 5 lbs of thrust.
All up weight with 3300 mah battery: 2lbs 8 oz.
Oct 30, 2012, 09:16 PM
Ecworks that thing must be awesome! The engines on the wings must give it really good low speed maneuverability.

The sky fun really is one of the best RC planes out there, I just keep having fun with it. It's all beat up and re-glued together but still going.

Current setup is a NTM 28-36 2700kv, 3s 2200mah turnigy nano 45c, 5.5x4.5 sport prop and 55A turnigy trust. Haven't measured speed yet but it zips around quite nicely, pulling 500W. Thinking of going 4S at some stage, but honestly that would only be to break speed records. I changed the ailerons for balsa ones, much more precise and easier to trim (foam ailerons were untrimmable).

If mine ever bites the dust (doubtful because it's already hit a tree at full speed and barely got a scratch) I'm thinking of getting another one and glassing it, then finally going 4S, likely with a bigger motor.
Last edited by Znybar; Oct 30, 2012 at 09:24 PM.
Nov 05, 2012, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecworks View Post
Got the Tri-Skyfun wired up and working.
Using (3) NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200kv / 250w
and 3 x Master Airscrew 3 blade 7" props w/ 3 x Turnigy Plush 30am ESC's

With a 4 cell it's generating over 5 lbs of thrust.
All up weight with 3300 mah battery: 2lbs 8 oz.
would be interestng if u can post up the video..really looking forward for it
Nov 05, 2012, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulmbbs View Post
would be interestng if u can post up the video..really looking forward for it
+1 !!
Nov 05, 2012, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znybar View Post
I changed the ailerons for balsa ones, much more precise and easier to trim (foam ailerons were untrimmable).
Curious... Did you just get a piece of balsa and cut it using the foam aileron as a guide! Does the trailing edge need to be thinner than the edge closest to the wing? Or am I over thinking it?

Thanks
Nov 05, 2012, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm62 View Post
Curious... Did you just get a piece of balsa and cut it using the foam aileron as a guide! Does the trailing edge need to be thinner than the edge closest to the wing? Or am I over thinking it?

Thanks
Yeah, I think I used 4.5mm balsa sheet (seemed stiff enough for my purposes) and cut it to the same dimensions as the stock ones. I tapered the end off to reduce drag a bit, but nothing like the stock ones. I wanted them to stay stiff after all!

Basically the ones I have are just flat with thinner trailing edges.
Nov 06, 2012, 01:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znybar View Post
Yeah, I think I used 4.5mm balsa sheet (seemed stiff enough for my purposes) and cut it to the same dimensions as the stock ones. I tapered the end off to reduce drag a bit, but nothing like the stock ones. I wanted them to stay stiff after all!

Basically the ones I have are just flat with thinner trailing edges.
Thanks. One more thing... What type of hinges did you use?
Nov 06, 2012, 04:38 PM
I just used plastic flat hinges because they'd be easier to mount into the balsa than other hinge types, and I don't trust hinge tape for faster models.

Quick Reply