Jan 25, 2010, 01:10 AM
Thread OP

High Speed Video attached.

As requested here is a high speed video.

This is the view from inside my skyfun. I put a HET 2W motor in this time but was testing things out with a 3S motor. Speed seemed about the same as the 3W with a 4S!!! The video is not the clearest because the canopy is a bit frosty. Notice how clear it is at the end when the camera is taken out of the canopy. I will have to think of a way to mount the camera outside the plane.

The plane is totally destroyed. It was all my fault.

What happened was I was trying to make sure I got myself in the shot. I dived directly at myself, got scared and turned it away from my head. The plane went behind me, I lost sight for a split second. As I turned to keep the plane in view I heard a huge crump and that was that.

It's funny, I would never fly like that if other people were at the field but because it was just me I was standing in the middle of the runway and flying all around myself. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb.

All the components are still working, largely in part to the secure attachments I detailed earlier in the thread.

I am out now, I bought a Funjet from my LHS today and will continue with that.

skyfun.wmv (3 min 28 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jan 28, 2010, 11:02 PM
Pushing the envelope
Here is a vedio I made with a FunJet,I was working on a bungee launcher for my new Sky fun that will be on a 5s.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAkjrm#p/a/u/0/2jrjIWCqTSI
Last edited by Nicoflyer; Jan 28, 2010 at 11:08 PM.
Jan 29, 2010, 02:06 AM
Not a six pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoflyer
Here is a vedio I made with a FunJet,I was working on a bungee launcher for my new Sky fun that will be on a 5s.
very nice.. can you take some pictures of your launch system?
Jan 29, 2010, 07:47 AM
Pushing the envelope
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketscience
very nice.. can you take some pictures of your launch system?
Yes will do.I will have time over the weekend.
Jan 30, 2010, 11:20 PM
Kieran Vella
Our fastest confirmed speed for this airframe is 202 kph on 3S. I'm gonna try 4s and get some speeds.
Feb 02, 2010, 08:34 PM
Pushing the envelope
Quote:
Originally Posted by kizza42
Our fastest confirmed speed for this airframe is 202 kph on 3S. I'm gonna try 4s and get some speeds.
What kind of setup did you have (motor,prop,esc and lipo)?
Feb 04, 2010, 08:54 PM
Not a six pack
I can see the interaction between pedal and the pin... but what does the pin hook into? And where do you hook up the line to the plane without damaging the foam? Need the big picture

n/m I just saw your video...
Last edited by rocketscience; Feb 05, 2010 at 12:30 AM.
Feb 05, 2010, 12:39 AM
Pushing the envelope
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketscience
I can see the interaction between pedal and the pin... but what does the pin hook into? And where do you hook up the line to the plane without damaging the foam? Need the big picture
Here's a short video of how I hook up the plane to the launcher. Sorry for no sound because it late just got home from work.Don't want to wake up the wife.
When the weather gets better I will shoot a video outside of a full launch of plane.

hook up to bungee (0 min 38 sec)
Apr 09, 2010, 08:40 PM
I just ordered my Skyfun from HK Should be in stock in about a week...

I'm not even going to maiden it with the standard motor. I have a Turnigy 2836-2350kv (which is really about 2700-2800kv) to drop in, a Turnigy Plush 60A esc and a stack of Turnigy 4S 1800mAh 40C lipo's. I've ordered a wide range of prop's to try with it in the 4-5" range, both TGS & APC. Got some HXT900 servos to replace what ever it comes with, hopefully they will do the trick. Also got a "howfast" airspeed pitot for some testing

Gonna put 3mm CF in the wings and reglue the motor mount as others have said... But is everybody still using the stock mount?
Apr 10, 2010, 01:01 AM
Pushing the envelope
Yes the stock motor mount is fine.I just put some fiber reinforced tape about 3" square on top and bottom of wing then mounted the motor mount back on plane.
Apr 10, 2010, 04:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetySix
I just ordered my Skyfun from HK Should be in stock in about a week...

I'm not even going to maiden it with the standard motor. I have a Turnigy 2836-2350kv (which is really about 2700-2800kv) to drop in, a Turnigy Plush 60A esc and a stack of Turnigy 4S 1800mAh 40C lipo's. I've ordered a wide range of prop's to try with it in the 4-5" range, both TGS & APC. Got some HXT900 servos to replace what ever it comes with, hopefully they will do the trick. Also got a "howfast" airspeed pitot for some testing

Gonna put 3mm CF in the wings and reglue the motor mount as others have said... But is everybody still using the stock mount?

I just maidened mine today! went great. My first EVER aircraft flight, after two years of helis. It gains speed real fast and keeps it. You can basically zip up fairly high then turn off the motor and do big lazy circles for ages coming down.

Scorpion 2221-8 (over-stressed on 4s) with an 80A speed controller and 4s 1800 pack. I only needed to use 1/3rd throttle to zoom around, and briefly proved to myself it could go vertical at full throttle, and gain speed.

No trim needed, CG about where you hold it. It does slow flight really nice but if you get too slow, it looks ok but gets soggy .. so you need LOTS of power then, or nose back down to get back control.

4.5x4.5e prop also from hobbyking. nice prop. Needed some tape to balance, but nice hard prop.

Unfortunately I then let a mate fly it and he stalled it into the ground, and the entire chunk of foam with the motor mount broke off in one piece, and the prop chewed up a tail fin. (motor is quite a bit heavier than stock, so no surprise it will do this).

But I repaired it today, a bit of tape, some glue, a reinforcing rod. All looks good again.

So watch out if you bolt on a bigger motor. Change the mount to a wider plastic sandwich or whatever you have to do otherwise the stock one will bite a chunk out of the back if it lands badly.
Last edited by nyc863; Apr 10, 2010 at 04:46 AM.
Apr 10, 2010, 07:23 AM
Pushing the envelope
This plane is not made of EPP which is very durable,its not made to take a lot of abuse as far to take mishaps.It's made out of Styrofoam so it's a bit brittle but on the plus side it's more structural than EPP, it doesn't flex as much as EPP.
Here's a video of my on a 4s lipo the info is on the side bar on the vidoe.

skyfun on steroids (1 min 45 sec)
Apr 10, 2010, 08:24 AM
did you launch it at 2/3 rds throttle? I'm still not confident about the launch.

On the one hand I want it to gain speed in a generally upward direction. On the other, I'm a bit unsure about giving it too much stick from the start in case that makes things worse if the throw isn't flat enough..
Apr 10, 2010, 08:48 AM
Pushing the envelope
Your right you should not launch it at full throttle,You should use about half throttle and throw it at about a 45 degree angle and once the plane is on it's down slope start to apply full throttle.

If you see my video when I launched my it rolls and I corrected for it.But if you use the method I described above it gives the plane time to get some air speed so that the tork of the motor doesn't roll the plane inverted.

The more powerful the setup you have the more it will roll over when you hand launch it.It took me a while to find the right way to hand launch hi power setup so I learned the hard way.

I found the safest way to launch hi powered planes is with a bunggie.I have a post on this tread of my bunggie launch system.

Quick Reply