May 30, 2011, 07:06 AM
I just clicked on that hobbypartz link, and I'm pretty sure they are the exact same thing as the 2836 motors... the turnigys come in black/red now and I've seen a few different brands on them.

I think a microdan would work very well on a skyfun, only 36g but they put out some serious power
to remove ads between posts
May 30, 2011, 07:17 AM
Retired in NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetySix
I just clicked on that hobbypartz link, and I'm pretty sure they are the exact same thing as the 2836 motors... the turnigys come in black/red now and I've seen a few different brands on them.

I think a microdan would work very well on a skyfun, only 36g but they put out some serious power

The case is a bit different and the OD and length are very, slightly different. And they fly faster, are louder, and get everbody's attention. You can hear the difference in the air. They are a beast.
May 30, 2011, 08:23 AM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Last edited by Arcteryxxx; May 30, 2011 at 08:23 AM. Reason: wrong post
May 30, 2011, 10:10 AM
Can someone get a doppler on that airfield motor? Im really hoping that it is much faster considering the difference in amp draw.
May 30, 2011, 12:12 PM
Retired in NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_racer
Can someone get a doppler on that airfield motor? Im really hoping that it is much faster considering the difference in amp draw.
I'll do a tach comparison when I can get hem on a bench facing the sun. My guess is the Airfield motor is around 31 to 3200 Kv. People in the club remarked right away when I first launched it.
May 30, 2011, 05:08 PM
I'm keen to see tach results... anything better than say 21k on an apc 6x4e from 400w would prove its worth. Very interested in 4s results too if you can... that was the sweet spot for my 2836, 107mph level with awesome glide
Jun 01, 2011, 06:36 PM
So I was flying the SkyFun today in some pretty gusty wind. Seems the more I fly with my 3s packs, the slower it seems. Must get 4s ASAP. Well on the second pack when I landed it seems like the prop was pointing straight up and I broke the foam mounting area for the motor mount. By the end of the year, this thing will be so beat to hell that I'll just scrap the airframe and buy a new one.
Jun 02, 2011, 05:44 AM
Sky good, Earth bad!
I just got mine, adding some carbon to the wings and some 5 mil laminate to cover it. I am also got a 2836 motor and am going to fly it on 4S! So how many poles does this motor have?
Dak
Jun 02, 2011, 10:50 AM
Retired in NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakrat
I just got mine, adding some carbon to the wings and some 5 mil laminate to cover it. I am also got a 2836 motor and am going to fly it on 4S! So how many poles does this motor have?
Dak
6... It loves low timing.
Name: 2836 internal.jpg
Views: 143
Size: 37.0 KB
Description:
Jun 02, 2011, 12:06 PM
Heli and E-Plane
Rich - would you know the number of poles in the Exceed motor you recommended in the "Moderate" build?

http://www.hobbypartz.com/86ma07-2215-1950kv.html

I just got the HK KV/RPM meter and I want to measure the Kv of this motor, the meter readings are bouncing all around???

Thanks!
Jun 02, 2011, 02:29 PM
Retired in NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer291113
Rich - would you know the number of poles in the Exceed motor you recommended in the "Moderate" build?

http://www.hobbypartz.com/86ma07-2215-1950kv.html

I just got the HK KV/RPM meter and I want to measure the Kv of this motor, the meter readings are bouncing all around???

Thanks!
No I don't but they all have to be fairly low magnet count motors. I have had a very hard time getting tach readings on any of them. I need the propeller betwen the sun and the tach.
Jun 02, 2011, 02:55 PM
Heli and E-Plane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in ILM
No I don't but they all have to be fairly low magnet count motors. I have had a very hard time getting tach readings on any of them. I need the propeller betwen the sun and the tach.
Thanks Rich, these old eyes tried to count the magnets, at best it seems to have 14 magnets, so I assume it is 7 poles. When I plugged that value into the KV-RPM meter it was reading 1949 Kv which is pretty close.

I decided to add bamboo skewers to the wings, I had to open up the existing slots using a soldering iron and epoxied them in and covered with 3/4" strapping tape.

How critical is the 90 deg angle on the vertical fins?
They are 90 deg to the wings but not the main fuse
Jun 02, 2011, 04:39 PM
Gravity sucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer291113
Thanks Rich, these old eyes tried to count the magnets, at best it seems to have 14 magnets, so I assume it is 7 poles. When I plugged that value into the KV-RPM meter it was reading 1949 Kv which is pretty close.

I decided to add bamboo skewers to the wings, I had to open up the existing slots using a soldering iron and epoxied them in and covered with 3/4" strapping tape.

How critical is the 90 deg angle on the vertical fins?
They are 90 deg to the wings but not the main fuse
It may be a design feature - i think to present the center of drag as far back on the airframe as possible... anyone feel free to chime in and correct me if i'm wrong?
Jun 02, 2011, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt
Hi all

I recently flew my skyfun for the first time. I have a 2836 motor, 2400mah battery, 6x4 prop and a cheap HK elevon mixer. CoG at the front of the finger holes.

Before takeoff the elevons were centred and had a decent amount of throw. Once in the air i had to give it full right stick to try and level the wings out, but even then it wasnt enough. left stick would make it roll violently. I ended up snapping the nose off in a messy 'landing'.

Any idea what could cause this? Something must be a bit strange...
Thanks
Hard to do a post mortum from description - much easier with the body. It sounds like a linkage problem with one of the elevons - or - control horn slipping on the servo.
Jun 03, 2011, 04:37 PM
Heli and E-Plane
Hi Guys - My apologies for being a little off topic here but I need some help.

I have Phoenix FS and it has the Multiplex FunJet which I was playing around with since Phoenix doesn't have the SkyFun.

For the life of me I can't get it setup properly, for instance if I give it right aileron it also gives (a lot) of up elevator, but when I give it left aileron it gives down elevator.
I have tried all combinations but can not get it to work properly????

I may have something setup wrong in my DX7 which is conflicting with Phoenix, possibly???

Could someone provide some guidance? I want to practice high speed flights before swapping out the stock motor and esc...

Thanks for any help!

Quick Reply